Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Servicing a Crank Bros Cobalt Headset
  • richmtb

My Cobalt headset is getting a bit rough.

I know its covered by a five year warranty but removing and sending back a headset is a PITA.

Has anyone had any success servicing one themselves? The bearings seem harder to get at than the more convential headset design

Thanks

Rich

richmtb

Is that a no then?

nuke

Be interested to know this to as I always assumed that the PITA method of returning to 2Pure was the only way of fixing rough bearings. To be fair, at least 2Pure offer an excellent service.

Bearings aside, mine seems to have surface rust as well. Bonus 😐

roblane65
    Free Member

on cobolt headsets you can’t take the bearings out because the upper and lower cups are actually the outer races of the bearings,that’s how they are so light.So to return them you’ll have to remove the whole headset.don’t know if you’d beable to regrease with a small syringe!.. Warning if you decide to remove,the cups are made of bearing grade steel and when whacked tend to shatter !!!!!.

richmtb

Thnks for the replies, mine has surface rust too.

Not very impressed with the headset tbh.

Its a very neat peice of design and give you a nice low stack height, but the longevity of the internals seems to be pretty poor

wwaswas

buy two and just rotate them so you’ve got a spare whilst the other one’s at 2Pure?

Having two headsaets that last 5 years between them seems reasonable value to me.

psychle
    Free Member

Warning if you decide to remove,the cups are made of bearing grade steel and when whacked tend to shatter !!!!!.

Indeed they do… borked mine whilst trying to remove it, stupid bloody thing… never had this happen with any other headset, was thinking about sending it back in pieces to 2pure just for the heck of it!

nickf
    Free Member

buy two and just rotate them so you’ve got a spare whilst the other one’s at 2Pure?

Multiply by 2 if you’re thinking of running Eggbeaters.

Crank Bros – great concepts, rubbish execution

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having two headsaets that last 5 years between them seems reasonable value to me.

Or you could buy a used King for £45-50 and not touch it for 10 years…. 🙂

richc
    Free Member

but will kill your forks if you are running anything over 120mm

psychle
    Free Member

but will kill your forks if you are running anything over 120mm

Bollocks… no probs on any of my bikes (I run 5!), 2 of which have 140mm+ forks…

druidh
    Free Member

Of course there’s no problem with CK headsets, which is why they haven’t changed the design.

Oh….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Servicing a Crank Bros Cobalt Headset’ is closed to new replies.