Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Servicing a burglar alarm – snake oil or worthwhile?
  • fanatic278
    Free Member

We’ve had a burglar alarm in our house since it we bought it 6 years ago, but have never used it. The alarm was fitted when the house was built 12 years ago.

For various reasons we’ve decided we should probably start using it. But the main concern is that it’ll start ringing when it’s not required. I do know it seems to work properly still from just doing a very basic test.

So to the question: Do I need to get it serviced? What’s involved in a service? Could I do it myself?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Check battery, clean sensors, do a walk test. Maybe even test the bell. That’s about all I think. Wireless items may need replacement batteries.

Sometimes a service might be linked to a warranty. My service entitles me to a free call out in that year.

Obviously down to you if you can do the work or think it’s worth the money.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I can test all the sensors just by walking around and opening doors. But what batteries are there in the system? It’s not a wireless system.

Suggsey
    Free Member

There’s a big battery in the bell box and one in the control panel. They don’t cost mega bucks to replace and I did my own. Not a lot to go wrong with the systems really, big spiders crawling over the PIRs caused us an issue once ( been installed 20 years at least now and used whenever we are out the house.

fanatic278
    Free Member

As with all burglar alarms, my bell box is way up high. I’d only attempt to replace the battery if someone could reassure me that I won’t be required to perform open heart surgery up there. Is the battery easy to get at and replace?

Suggsey
    Free Member

If your competrant up ladders then you’ll be fine, just get someone to switch the alarm off when it detects the tamper. You don’t need to change the batteries unless the alarm starts triggering with unknown faults or in the case of a power cut it goes off. They last a good few years (think ours lasted a good 12 years).

fanatic278
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I might start using the alarm regularly and just see what happens. If the weather is nice tomorrow I may even have a climb up the ladder and see what I can find. Might test the battery voltage if it’s easy enough to access. You’ve given me enough confidence to at least have a look, so many thanks.

jamesoz

I used to install and service intruder alarms. The control panel battery will need to be replaced at least every 5 years and aside from power standby a good battery will help prevent false alarms.
    The outside sounder will more than likely have a small ni-cad battery.
    Usual test is to drop the hold off voltage and see if it rings (remove the power to it). Outside sounders are usually replaced as swapping the battery, even if it works at the time may not fix the problem and nobody wants to go up the ladders more than once. If you open the outside sounder wear ear defenders.

The main reason to have a service contract is the ability to call somebody that will come out at 4am and shut it up if you cant.

stof41
    Free Member

As above really. Main panel battery will probably need changing, the voltage maybe ok but its the amps in the battery that matter. I havnt seen an outside sounder with a replacable battery in years, usually they are soldered on to the main circuit board.

My advice would be start using it and see if it false alarms, it will give you an indication of any problems, then replace as nessessary.

timba
    Free Member

Is it part of your house insurance discount?
    Do you have neighbours to upset if it goes off unnecessarily?
    Ours costs about £70 for an annual service, which keeps the insurance discount going and has included a new sensor and a couple of new batteries over the years, arguably an expensive total, but low enough per year

fanatic278
    Free Member

It’s not linked to my insurance. All the neighbours have the same alarm system. Not sure if any get theirs serviced. There has never been a false alarm on this street though. If it’s just £70 for a service and means I don’t have to go up a ladder then it’s probably worth it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above main battery is the real service item. To do it yourself you’d probably have to know the various codes / key sequences. We have had two properties with alarms and never used either althoigh we did have the first one checked and serviced, we felt using the alarm was too much bother in practice

timba
    Free Member

We use a local company certified at NSI Gold level

mark d
    Free Member

I’m a security engineer at an NSI Gold Co. If you’re near Reading I could take a look.
    Definitely get a co to take a look anyway and get on a contract. The only time I get calls is from frantic people in the middle of the night when the power in the local area has failed and all the alarms on the estates are sounding, because none of them are on service contracts and batteries have not been replaced at the correct intervals.

Mark

franksinatra

Slight thread hijack. We are in a similar situation, 12 year old alarm that was installed by previous owner, we have not used it in the four years that we have owned the house. But, in our case, we do not want to use it. About twice it has randomly made noises and I am always worried it will start playing up and I don’t even know the pin.

Can you DIY remove alarms or does it require someone who knows what they are doing?

deadslow

+1 get it serviced we have had random stuff go off with the alarm usually related to the battery. Also whilst removing carpet with a knife managed to cut through some of the cables!!! Would hate to think how long it would take to persuade someone to come out at 8pm in the evening. Also near Reading and use a local company.
    @ mark d do you work for dsc?

mark d
    Free Member

@frank, better off getting someone in. Probably just needs a new battery. Competent engineer will be able to default codes for you,( some companies ‘lock’ the NVM which means it cannot be taken over, rare and not very ethical).
    They will check detectors/ sirens etc in the correct manner. If it’s a workable system use it! No reason at all to not use it and you have back up either from a co or a competent person.

@deadslow
    , I work for a very local competitor to DSC. I also do my own work.
    DSC, from what I hear, are a very good company, so if you have a system installed by them they should be able to help in the first instance.
    If not, give me call.

TheFopster
    Free Member

We also had an alarm we never used, and say I didn’t know there was a battery that needed replacing. I discovered this fact at 11pm on Christmas Day when the alarm started sounding and I couldn’t turn it iff. I guess we may have been one of the muppets that called out jamesoz at an inconvenient time. To be fair we were charged accordingly, and learned a lesson…

I’d get it looked at!

dooosuk
    Free Member

For those that have alarms and dont use them/know the codes. Google your alarm. When we bought our house they didn’t leave the codes, a quick Google gave me the instruction manual, installation manual and engineers and user codes. Worryingly simple to reset to default and program new ones.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I’m no expert, but if you do go poking around inside the bell box, be very careful if it has a strobe light as I believe it has very high voltages present to power it.
    I’m sure one of the engineers on here will say for sure?

cbike
    Free Member

The strobe will be about 12 volts with a tiny inaccessible capacitor and probably even LED for new ones. You might need a very long tongue to lick those wires.

The 240 mains is the one to worry about.

wool

Removed ours DIY style with a hammer it was noisy for only a few mins

franksinatra

Removed ours DIY style with a hammer it was noisy for only a few mins

I like you style. That is my plan.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Is it part of your house insurance discount?
    Do you have neighbours to upset if it goes off unnecessarily?
    Ours costs about £70 for an annual service, which keeps the insurance discount going and has included a new sensor and a couple of new batteries over the years, arguably an expensive total, but low enough per year

Have you checked how much actual ‘discount’ you’re getting for the alarm? Ours was a princely £11 saving a year, plus we had to have to armed every night when we went to bed. Wasn’t worth the £70+ servicing in that respect.

jamesoz

I hate intruder systems with a passion, there was a time when I could identify every model by the fault or alarm tone. I never want to hear or see one again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Servicing a burglar alarm – snake oil or worthwhile?’ is closed to new replies.