Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Server Numpty! – Squeezebox app on a HP Prolliant microserver running WHS2011
  • Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Server/network newbie (possibly numpty) here.

I’ve got my music library on the server which is running WHS2011.
    Logitec media server app on C drive runs whenever the server boots and scans library (on other drives) for new tracks. So far so good…

….but when media files get moved around within the file structure on the server (eg kids accidentally dragging files), then the only way I’ve found to recover things is by attaching a monitor/keyboard/mouse and accessing the menus within the server app to perform a full library re-scan.
    Re-booting the server to initiate a library scan at start-up isn’t enough to find the moved media.
    This is a pain!

Question: How can I open the app on the c:drive of the server from another pc on the network and work through the app’s menus etc?

Getting at the storage drives in the server is not the issue (that’s what it’s for after all!) and I can open the server dashboard remotely as admin but I’m damned if I can find a way to open the media server app “headlessly” to access its functionality.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

bungle

You can use RDP to connect to the WHS2011 server from another PC – just like connecting directly – but it looks as though you have to mnake a registry change on the server to prevent only the Dashboard displaying. Google for ‘WHS2011 RDP’ and you should find instructions for the reg change and opening the firewall, etc.

Cletus

Not familiar with WHS but from a quick Google it seems to support Remote Desktop which should allow you to do what you want to.

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/318

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks Bungle & Cletus
    Looks like RDP is what I was missing. I’d assumed the dashboard was sufficient.
    I’ll read up tonight.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Server Numpty! – Squeezebox app on a HP Prolliant microserver running WHS2011’ is closed to new replies.