Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • (seriously) what tyres to fit on Stans Crest
  • sheeps

Pair of Stans Crest (on Hope hubs) and have always struggled to get my tyres to seat properly (tubed, not tubeless). Its culminated in a ripped sidewall.

I’ve used Continental tyres and now WTB Bronsons… The tyres are always really really difficult to get onto the rims, and nigh on impossible to seat the bead.

Any recommendations on what to do, and/or tyres which might be easier to get on?

sheeps

Oh… 29er if it makes a difference

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve always used Specialized tyres with no issues at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    2tyred

Tubeless-ready Schwalbes, no problem at all. Even when I’ve had to stick a tube in.

Thought tubeless was the point of Stans rims, no?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok so I’m still ( & will be for the foreseeable future) on 26″ but Maxxis Advantages go on & off with bare fingers, even tubeless.

noltae
    Free Member

Geax TNT – stayed inflated for 24hrs without sealant – Racing Ralph also good ..

simondbarnes

Have used (and still using) spesh ground control / purgatory on my MTB and they went on easily. Am running tubeless though. Have spesh Terra pros (also tubeless) on my CX bike. Again, went on easily.

cinnamon_girl

Schwalbe Nobby Nics/Maxxis/Bonty MudX, all on 26’ers.

swanny853

If the wtb tyres you’ve tried have been TCS, there’s your problem- stans have slightly ‘big’ rims so normal tyres sit nice and tight. Tcs tyres are tight for the same reason, so add the two together and they wont seat well.

If not tcs, what rim tape are you using?

sheeps

Thanks swanny… Yep TCS ones. Think I’ll return them and go with ‘normal’ tyres. Rim tape is Velox

jairaj

I’ve got a Schwalbe UST tyre on a Crest rim once they are supposed to be very tight too. Was absolute mission to get them on but it is possible.

Hate to think what would happen if I needed to do a trail side repair!

But found Spec and Maxxis to go on no problem with or without tubes.

nicko74

Bontrager XR4 for me. It’s tough, but washing up liquid and a lot of elbow grease gets it on

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Tubeless ready tyres, velox cloth (?) rim tape AND tubes. On a stans rim.

Not surprised you are struggling to get it to seat. That tight bead on a nice grippy bit of cloth with a tube holding it in place.

Either go tubeless or get a really thin slippy rim tape. Or non-tubeless tyres.

Or all of the above.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized 2bliss, Bontrager TLR, Vittoria TNT and Schwalbe TLR all go on easily and inflate easily.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘(seriously) what tyres to fit on Stans Crest’ is closed to new replies.