• This topic has 50 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by danbo.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Seriously – How Long To Pedal Wheelie?
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

This was a couple of years ago after a days riding in Afan. On the balance point you can see my knee coming out for lateral balance.

Also compressing the front before extending the arms out and being slightly out of the seat when pushing that initial pedal stroke to lift the front up.

I too tend to wheelie most of the time as it’s just a fun thing to do.
    [video]http://youtu.be/I3DozaFxyaw[/video]

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I find a smooth tyre like a DMR Moto also helps out due to being smooth and having a good contact patch. I like to have my seat at a medium height just under the waistline when stood next to the bike as this improves centre of gravity. Having the seat too high will make you top heavy which will have a negative effect on your lateral balance.
    Geometry makes a difference too. I’ve changed my fork on the Five from a 140 to 150 and because of the extra weight/length it’ wheelies completely different .
    I’d definitely recommend learning on a hardtail rather than a FS as all of the torque/power from your pedal stroke will go straight to your wheel rather than being lost in the shock.
    Spend around 30 mins at least four times a day and you will learn within a matter of weeks.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I tried for about three months. 30 mins a day, I progressed to no pedal turns to probably 2 or 3 if I was lucky

Ruined a brand new Superstar 20mm front hub in the process too. Not sure how much longer it would gave lasted without the wheelie practice.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Tried on a steep-ish uphill bit of my ride and I can do about 2-3 revolutions straight off the bat! Cannot get the balance point on the flat for the life of me.

I have enlisted my neighbour who can wheelie and manual like a boss to help me a few times a week. First lesson after Boxing Day!

felixdamouse
    Free Member

im pretty crap at wheeling, can probably do 10mtrs in 1 out of 5 attempts. where do I start with manualling?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Manuals are more difficult than the wheelie….

bish

This video will explain all
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLBKRpWt7w[/video]

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Has Stephen Hawking narrated on that video…….terrible! 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

…so you’re sitting good when riding the willy…

…if you want a really long willy you must hold your brain clear…

Fnarr

mcj78
    Free Member

donks – Member
    Get your self a Santa Cruz chameleon, it’s almost impossible to be bad at manuals with these.

I’ll see your challenge & raise you 1 complete inability to manual! 😀 I blame my short arms.

danbo
    Free Member

bish that video is awesome. Thank you

“Just adjust the angel so you sitting good when riding the willie”

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Seriously – How Long To Pedal Wheelie?’ is closed to new replies.