Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Seriously ?! Great British Whinge off !!
  • shinglespeed
    Free Member

Ok ok a Great British bake off fan here..I confess! Feel free to crucify me for this !

But ..The medical profession is losing hundreds of good staff to the pressures of work, locally we’ve lost at least 50 excellent paramedics.. Burnt out, fed up, .. Retiring early, hammered from start to the inevitable over run at the end of our shifts..

Did I just hear the fireman say he bakes on friggin shift !!!??

firestarter
    Free Member

Why not we get dinner hour if we arent at a job
    . Dont be jealous tho 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

He’s probably running a second business from the station making cup cakes 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I know a fireman whose been called out twice in 10years… 😐

He’s an Airport Fireman BTW..

hammyuk
    Free Member

Every fireman I know has another job/business.
    Two work for me on their days off!
    Getting paid to sleep isn’t half bad….

firestarter
    Free Member

So you dont know a fireman then Bikebouy 🙂

Basil

There is a chap at our local station that does bench joinery

pk13

Just removal men with a fast van…

Joke

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Don’t firemen do their dinner on shift at the station, I assume this is so that they’re not in McDonalds when a call comes in to rescue someones cat. So if he’s the designated cook for that shift what’s the big deal about him doing some cakes for afters?

P.S. TGBBO is awful.

firestarter
    Free Member

Haterz gonna hate 😉

Btw everyone knows they are quiet stations and busy ones. some choose to go to quiet ones but im happy at the busiest in west yorks. But im always knackered and skint 🙁 cant have it all

bruneep

<edit> can’t be arsed

I’m to busy, washing cars playing pool/snooker, sleeping doing books for part time work oh and now cooking. Take your pick its what we do all day long

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Take your pick its what we do all day long

Mini cab driver? Oh and making up nick names for each other.

🙂

bruneep

yeah whilst cleaning your windows as well

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In fairness it must take you ages to learn the dance routines

thegreatape
    Free Member

What does it matter. It’s not like the daffs can patrol the town looking for fires to put out.

I know there is fire safety stuff to do in the daytime, but not 24 hrs.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Having been in a second floor flat with an inferno below I for one appreciate the fact that Sam is in the kitchen and only a moments notice away from jumping into a firengine.

Northwind

shinglespeed – Member

Did I just hear the fireman say he bakes on friggin shift !!!??

Why, the actual ****, should he not? Perhaps a rule that means they’re not allowed to do anything productive and should just sit in the appliances all day staring at the wall?

Unless he refuses a callout because he’s got to take it out of the oven in 10 minutes.

mogrim

Unless he refuses a callout because he’s got to take it out of the oven in 10 minutes.

Yeah, but if he leaves the oven unattended wouldn’t that be a risk?

wallop

Kitchens can automatically shut down when the alarms start ringing.

wallop

And firemen/women don’t sleep on shift (not in my area 😆 )

shinglespeed
    Free Member

Ok it was a rant .. I apologise.

Just doesn’t seem right when one sector is beyond struggling to cope.

Sorry

wallop

I don’t think the fire service is having a brilliant time of it, to be fair.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Plenty firemen caught up in these two incidents

I say let them make all the cakes they want and don’t be a dick about it

bainbrge

Pretty sure Chinese firemen aren’t on final salary pensions.

firestarter
    Free Member

Neither are British ones anymore

tron
    Free Member

There are less fires than there used to be, and fires are generally less dangerous because almost everyone has smoke alarms.

Given that there are not unlimited budgets for public services, I’d rather have more paramedics.

The major issue restricting that idea is that you can only cut things so far – you don’t really want a fire engine to be stationed an hour away down the road or on another job when you need one.

firestarter
    Free Member

Fires are less dangerous? We have had more fire deaths in our brigade since april than in the last 5years. All since station closures. My watch had 3 house fires last week none of them had a smoke alarm

But yes there should be more paramedics . They are trying to go down the route to train us more first aid and send us out instead of an ambulance. Now no one wants that . Believe me

bigrich
    bruneep

Less dangerous?Ewan Williamson

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So are you suggesting he does a shift in a&e between call outs?
    If not how do you suggest he uses his time that does seem “right”?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pretty sure Chinese firemen aren’t on final salary pensions.

And what’s that got to do with anything?

You’re comparing apples with oranges. RAF and Navy are pretty cushy numbers when you compare it to bunking down in Helmand in the Army (generalisation). Do you think we should start putting IED’s on runways and docksides to make things fairer? Or do you think we should be focussing on making things better for those struggling rather than screwing over those that are “better off”? It’s like the whole argument against public sector workers having decent pensions hinging on the fact other people don’t. It’s not a race to the bottom you know.

how do you suggest he uses his time that does seem “right”?

Something like Fahrenheit 451?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, but if he leaves the oven unattended wouldn’t that be a risk?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/29/us-fire-idUSTRE50S4DX20090129

😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Its bizarre that professions that once garnered so much respect now seem to be the target of people’s anger. Teachers because they have allegedly long holidays and Firemen because they can bake a cake on their shift.

Hats off to both of them!

Having attended fires with my job if you want to approach something burning with gas canisters ready to go pop then be my guest.

hels
    Free Member

In defence of the baking fireman, the job must involve quite a lot of waiting around for something terrible to happen.

You know, long periods of boredom interspersed with short periods of terror. Like a war.

Perhaps all of you who want to criticise them can handle it yourselves when your house goes on fire.

And anyway, they can’t get too fat, they have half naked calendars to pose for.

bruneep

Can do you pics if you want hels? 😉

hels
    Free Member

Cheers Bruneep – don’t forget the strategically placed scones !

convert

Genuine (OT) question whist there are a few fire fighter types around – in the service is firefighting considered to be a less risky a profession now than 20 or 30 years ago. My perception is that those is command are more risk averse (or foolhardy, take your pick) and procedures are more sophisticated. Subsidiary question – is it more boring now than it was? Less action, more paperwork.

It’s something I always wished I’d gone into and even shadowed a lad in a local station for a couple of nights. Everyone I met back then below management level had a second job or was a semi pro sports person on the side and most seemed to love life (their job, the camaraderie, the opportunity to do other things between shift patterns)

shinglespeed
    Free Member

If not how do you suggest he uses his time that does seem “right”?

Where do I start ?

For a start perhaps they could get involved in assisting their overworked colleagues with the lifting of human beings who have fallen over.

Now I know that lifting ‘non injured’ Doris off the floor at 3am in the morning may not bring the fire service the front page feature that they so desire, or the complexity/kudos of lifting a horse out of a ditch. But hey someone has to do it…

A large proportion of frontline ambulance work is spent responding to ‘gran down’ calls from external agencies such as careline ( the pull cord sytems). More often than not these calls are attended by single response vehicles who have to wait lengthy time for assistance from additional medical muscle power.

And all the time the radio is blurting ‘six outstanding emergency calls….NO vehicles to assign’.

Meanwhile up the road at the main station there is a fire crew asleep..how do I know this ? I have mates in the fire service and in twenty years, I can honestly state I’ve rarely seen a fire engine bay empty!

To argue against the ‘burning building’ debate is futile.. unless you work in/ alongside emergency services you could be forgiven that this is a common incident…it is not.I have the utmost respect for anyone who does this…but let us not hoodwink the public into thinking its a daily/ weekly occurrence.

Some may say my post is fuelled by jealousy.. you bet it is !!

It is WRONG that one service is stretched to the absolute limits whilst another has it easy..

Simple

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

That’s not their “colleagues”, that’s someone elses job, if you have spare time in your workday to you pop to the office next door to see if the accountants need a hand?

kilo

shinglespeed is not the solutuion an adequate amount of paramedics rather than a race to the bottom for public services. I recently had to call an ambulance as my father had fallen out of bed (I wasn’t there and my mother was panicking) arriving there I couldn’t lift him, then a response car turned up followed by an ambulance with two more paramedics to assist. Fortunate as my father had fallen out of bed due to a very small bleed and was going into shock (and despite being on various first aid courses deling with traumatic bleeds it didn’t look like anything I’d been trained on)not sure what use a few firemen would’ve been, so I’d rather have the right amount of the right people attending medical incidents / old people in trouble. peace and love to paramedics and firemen

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Seriously ?! Great British Whinge off !!’ is closed to new replies.