Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Seriously?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

I heard that this morning on the radio and it made me smile.
    I’m meeting one of our French researchers this afternoon, so will ask him what the French for Jaffa is.

druidh
    Free Member

I think Jaffa is a universal word…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nukeproofriding
    Free Member

merde. what will they do when they decide to invade us again in a few years?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Seems to me that it might not be worth going for prima nocta this time if they do…

smoothchicken

It’s reported that “Gallic sperm were allegedly seen shrugging their shoulders and flicking out their Gauloises somewhat apathetically at the news, pas”

molgrips
    Free Member

Why does everyone call the French cheese eating surrender monkeys?

organdonor
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t like the casual racism.

Plus it might’ve been funny in 1995, I can’t remember, but christ, give it a rest.

organdonor
    Free Member

but christ, give it a rest.

And the casual blasphemy?

killwillforchips
    Free Member

You could call them:
    effeminate arrogant frog suckers!

But i prefer cheese eating surrender faggotts.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind that, but if someone else does I’ll stop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why is this okay?

If I were French I’d have reported it, but I’ll be accused of being professionally offended.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

What’s offensive?
    go ask Mr average Frenchie what they think of us.

But all the casual racism aside. I’m sorry, i surrender, you can come live in my house And eat my cheese, i won’t resist!!!
    😉

organdonor
    Free Member

No different to the other racist thread offerings.
    IMO it’s not okay.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just can’t get my head around how funny it is being invaded by Nazis. Just seems terribly poor taste to joke about it all.

organdonor
    Free Member

That’s a separate argument.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind being called rosbif – we do eat roast beef. It makes no reference to a terrifying period of history where we were oppressed and humiliated though.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I just can’t get my head around how funny it is being invaded by Nazis. Just seems terribly poor taste to joke about it all.

Where in this thread does it say “Being invaded by Nazi’s is funny”?

Do you know what they call us over there? lol As far as I see it’s a harmless bit of fun. If there are French guys on this forum – go and start a thread that pokes fun at the Brits. In fact it probably happens on French bike forums anyway. Stop being offended by proxy for the sake of an argument.

Besides, I’d say we’ve saved their asses enough times to be allowed to occasional joke, no? I’ve been called plenty of things in Paris bars and pubs in my time, and I never turned around and said “That’s racist.” I just laugh it off and mutter something under my breath before sprinting to my car to avoid being murdered :p

It makes no reference to a terrifying period of history where we were oppressed and humiliated though.

You could argue that the jokes are actually more of a reference to the periods where we were at war with one another.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

You’re right molgrips, of course you are. But this humor stems from how well France & England get along.
    They poke fun at us and vice versa.

But yes, you’re right. I’m Moroccan descent and have a lot of French folk in my family and love them all equally even if they are a strange humored bunch. But its always in French so i don’t care!

molgrips
    Free Member

Are they that nasty to us?

Maybe I empathise because I’m part Welsh, which makes me the other legitimate target for casual racism.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Maybe I empathise because I’m part Welsh, which makes me the other legitimate target for casual racism.

OH COME ON MAN, SO AM I!

My family is from Wales and Devon! I have never considered myself a target for legitimate casual racism. When I mention half my family is from Devon, of COURSE the sheep jokes come out to play with some people around – I laugh and then retort with something about where they’re from, and it lies there. That is not casual racism. You are totally over thinking this one man. Have a brew, read a funny joke and look at it again – you might see it differently.

Last year a bar in Paris refused to serve me because the locals at the bar objected to us foreigners being in their bar lol!

When I was in france on holiday a couple of years ago during the rugby final or a semi final, don’t remember which – we had a union jack and an England flag on the car. A bit of fun because we obviously don’t support a french rugby team. We got an absolute HAIL of abuse, most of which lighthearted with a small or a single digit at the end. It’s just a bit of fun.

What would the world be like if we were too conservative in our interactions with people from other parts of the world? It would be boring, un-human and we would never get along in anything. At least us and the french have one iota in common – that we pretend to hate each other, but for the last 150 odd years have fought for each other. There’s something good in that. And I don’t think you can call it racism at all.

organdonor
    Free Member

Besides, I’d say we’ve saved their asses enough times to be allowed to occasional joke, no?

Wow, my memories bad I know but, was that you and I that fought back the Nazis and liberated France in WW2?

killwillforchips
    Free Member

No it was me and Binners.

marcus7
    Free Member

Wow that got turned down an ally i did not forsee!, racism, Nazis, Welsh in less than 30 posts. That must be some kind of record, doffs hat to molgrips on this one!.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

your sarcasm detector is broken. And no, my grandfather’s were, they knew the french and the grandfather of mine who survived jokes about the french in a light hearted way too. Were yours there?

Why are you so intent of accusing people of being Racist with this Nazi bollocks? No one mentioned it until you two rocked up screaming “RACISTS!” so who are the racists?

We have family friends who are french, and have lived there 30 odd years. Their relatives have lived there 800 years or more. We all trade jokes around the table with a bottle of vino. Lighten up.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I suppose the really ironic thing about this come to think of it is that we probably can’t even be technically Racist to the french – 8 out of 10 of the brits in this thread come from a French lineage! They invaded us on more than one occasion remember?

As much as I hate to admit it, The Norman men/women post invasion interbred with the British men/women to the point where virtually everybody has French in them if you look back far enough lol.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wasn’t talking about sheep jokes.
    t
    What I object to is stupid shite jokes from an old tv show that are pretty nasty and get trotted out EVERY SINGLE BLOODY TIME France is mentioned.

Piss poor. And for that reason I’m out.

organdonor
    Free Member

Hmmm, I don’t think that sarcasm is your strong point npr 😉

My relatives have fought in wars, my paternal grandfather was a Colonel in MI in WW2 and parachuted behind enemy lines (Montenegro) on Christmas day 1942, on pretty much a solo mission. He spent time in France during the war, as did my maternal grandfather.

What’s your point caller?

And where did I “scream RACISTS!”? I merely agreed that that particular use of language was racist. 🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

You leek ruminating surrender quadraped!

bazwadah
    Free Member

The semen of more than 26,600 French men was tested in the study, reported in the journal Human Reproduction.

I scanned the article quickly and thought it said ‘tasted’ 🙂

you would need a fair sized spittoon…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Molgrips Reported.

atlaz
    Free Member

What’s offensive?

They usually don’t trot out the random crap you get from the average Brit. I think the most you might get is calling the British rosbif and then it’s on to what they like about the UK. That said, if it’s light hearted, doesn’t really bother me.

Besides, I’d say we’ve saved their asses enough times to be allowed to occasional joke, no?

This is one bit that annoys me off a bit more. WW1 was a catastrophe for France (and Belgium) in ways the people of the UK couldn’t understand. Stats for military dead are 4.3% of the ENTIRE population with a further 13% wounded. As an adult male in France, you had far more chance of being wounded or killed in WW1 than you had of coming away unscathed. They suffered more than twice the overall casualties of the British (including empire soldiers). Bearing in mind that the British army in WW2 was accused by the Americans of being overly sensitive to casualties after WW1 losses.

Look at it from the French PoV. Population of 40M people, 1.6M dead, 4.5M wounded. As an adult male of military age (so approx 8-9M people) you were something like 60% likely to be killed or wounded. Kind of makes people jaded. For added statistic fun, in WW2 the French lost nearly 600k people through fighting and civilian deaths, the British 450k.

Over the top for an off the cuff remark I know, but sometimes information is useful 🙂

organdonor
    Free Member

“Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries”

Edric64
    Free Member

Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees?

So the Germans could march in the shade

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Over the top for an off the cuff remark I know, but sometimes information is useful

WTF are you going on about?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bwaarp
    Free Member

The only time I’ve suffered ‘racism’ as a quater icelandic, quater welsh half hungarian white Englishman was in France and Scotland.

The best one was a French local who unleashed a torrent of abuse at us on some ski lift at Morzine one summer, no reason other than we were English and he thought we looked at him a bit funny.

Anyway we reverted to type and retorted with two fingered salutes and lots of things like “**** off you Vichy Caaaaaaaaaaaaahnt” and the classic “Come and have a go if you think your ‘ard enuff”

Good times.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Whoever is responsible for that google page is a legend.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

The point is, the CESM “joke” wore thin a decade ago.
    Tedious and xenophobic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Seriously?’ is closed to new replies.