Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Serious scientific question, no messing…
  • palmer77
    Free Member

…could beer, proper beer, constitute a recovery drink. And/or, can you carb load with beer?

40mpg

Beer, no.

Cider, yes 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Milk works so maybe a White Russian. Beer isn’t really a good option but it is nice

Klunk
    Free Member

yes if taken with a packet of crisps, peanuts and maybe some pork scratchings. though i find it a much better mid ride “pick me up” 🙂

ton

yes……..beer is the perfect fluid replacement. just the right amount of carbs to enhance any bike ride.

FACT

legend
    Free Member

They used to drink beer on Le Tour before the killjoys banned it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn’t non-alcoholic Weissbier touted as “isotonic”?

I drank some ice cold during a very hot Heidelberg half-marathon some years ago. It was the nicest drinks break ive ever had during a race. 🙂

Stainypants

Yep, Erdinger alkolfrie is isotonic and vitamin rich, just persuaded to stock it so we can drink it post ride.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erdinger alkolfrie

Yep, that was the one. 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

40mpg – Member
    Beer, no.
    Cider, yes
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO #

Sugar?

soobalias
    Free Member

recovery yes – sports recovery beer
    carb loading no – the beer carbs need a load of extra water for you to store them, so you get dehydrated and because you sat up all night trying to drink enough liquids you get no sleep which all equals a hangover

maccruiskeen

They used to drink beer on Le Tour before the killjoys banned it

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EanUbDJCE[/video]

palmer77
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve satisfied my 3 Weiss beer turbo recovery need, thanks all 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

too slow

epicyclo

palmer77 – Member
    …could beer, proper beer, constitute a recovery drink. And/or, can you carb load with beer?

It’s the electrolyte of choice in the singlespeed world…

yunki
    Free Member

I didn’t know that there was any other sort

richmars

Scientifically speaking, is there such a thing as a recovery drink? (serious question)

mogrim

Scientifically speaking, is there such a thing as a recovery drink?

Yes – you definitely burn carbohydrates during a ride, and sweat out salts and water. So a drink containing all three will help recovery. Whether drink “a” is better at this than drink “b”, and if you need protein or not in your drink is a separate matter.

Cougar

So essentially, a beer is fine so long as you follow up with a bacon smoothie.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Milk works so maybe a White Russian.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

there was an article in the Royal Society of Chemistry magazine that compared beer with isotonic drinks linky. Carbohydrate is lower and mineral levels are similar, vitamin levels are higher so the conclusion that one pint of beer was a good alternative to a pint of isotonic drink. more than one pint was not recommended.

epicyclo

I_did_dab – Member
    there was an article in the Royal Society of Chemistry magazine that compared beer with isotonic drinks linky. Carbohydrate is lower and mineral levels are similar, vitamin levels are higher so the conclusion that one pint of beer was a good alternative to a pint of isotonic drink…

Proving singlespeeders are right about nutrition as well as gearing… 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Serious scientific question, no messing…’ is closed to new replies.