Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Serious question about wheel sizes and new entry level(ish) bikes…
  • sheeps

A friend is getting into mountain biking (having been lured away from the dark side) and is looking at a bike from C2W scheme (limited to Evans by his employer). So he asks me and some others what he should be looking for – the usual stuff is uttered about hardtail,best frame/fork/wheelset you can get for the money (£1000 limit), etc. etc…

…and as we all starting mountain biking in the 90’s (or early) the question of ‘which wheel size’ was answered with a resounding 26″ – probably because we all have them, and ‘wot’s not broke don’t need fixing’.

So… he comes to me today and says that the choice of 26″ bikes in Evans is limited (about 5/32 – 1 trek, 2 bmc’s & 2 pinnacles) in his budget (£800 – £1000), there is 1 650b and the rest are 29″

It would seem that the big bike manufacturers have decide that 29ers are the only way to go for entry(ish) level mountain bikes.

Should we be advising him to go with a 29er (as the marketing men want) and ensure that he always has enough spare tubes etc. of his own or buy one of a dwindling stock of 26″ bikes like the rest of us??

Very confused, slightly angry that the decision has been taken away from us (the cyclists) and worried that when I come to upgrade my frame the budget will need to include new forks, wheels etc.

Any reasonable sane advice would be welcomed
    (Realising that I’ve opened the BIGGEST can of worms and this could run and run!! (I’ve drawn up a comfy chair!))

Ta

asterix
    Free Member

No, 29is on the way out – you’re looking at stock that reflects last year and the year before . It not fair is it the manufacturers messing like this, but either go 26 or wait

RustySpanner

I genuinely have no idea.

Seriously?
    If I was starting out now, with three MTB wheel sizes I think I’d play safe and get a crosser.

MTB has disappeared up it’s own backside and frankly is a bit of an emabarassment, thanks to the manufacturers.
    Talk about pissing where you eat – they’ve potentially ruined the industy they helped to create.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sodajim

If he’s looking at an xc type hardtail then I don’t personally think a 29er would be too much of a problem. They really do excell at that type of use so I personally think they will be around for a good while yet.

jameso

We had to think about this a lot, while working on Evans’ Pinnacle bikes. Did we think riders needed all 3 sizes from us? Did we want 2 out of 3? How influencial is the staff member’s take on it all, we often sell / promote what we like after all.
    In all honesty, I think a 29er ‘generally’ makes more sense for people starting out. But anything good is good. Unless you come from a BMX / MX etc background, the advantages of a smaller wheel won’t be as useful to you as you get to grips with it all. A bigger wheel is generally more stable, comfortable and rolls well. Confidence means a lot when starting out. So that’s what we have now, a range of 29ers that I can have loads of fun on anywhere and a new rider will hopefully enjoy starting out on. Your 2nd bike could be far more ‘bmx’y if that’s where you go, or lighter, more XC, who knows. Just start on something comfortable, fun and confidence-inspiring.

The MTB industry isn’t doing anyone any favours with 3 wheel options, itself included. Luckily some brands don’t need to lead trends etc and can do what they see as right, if they’re riders themselves and they’re not under pressure to follow the rest.

None of it is ‘on the way out’ fast enough to worry a first-time buyer now. You may feel you bought the wrong bike after a while on it, but the same for forks, travel, geometry, size etc, not wheels alone. Just focus on enjoying it, sod what’s ‘on trend’.

sbob
    Free Member

A bigger wheel is generally more stable, comfortable and rolls well.

My Nissan Micra is stable, comfortable and rolls well.

That should pretty much put an end to all these wheel size dicussions. 😆

yorlin
    Free Member

Get him to bug the employer about suppliers? Edinburgh Bikes have loads of 26″ bikes left in their sales just here and they do C2W and are super helpful!

jameso

My Nissan Micra is stable, comfortable and rolls well

in corners : )
    yeah.. generalisations but some truth in it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Serious question about wheel sizes and new entry level(ish) bikes…’ is closed to new replies.