Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Serious question about these big wheeled bikes
  • Harry_the_Spider

Are they longer? I cram 5 adult bikes into a 6×4 shed and they just fit as the bikes are all just under 6ft long.

The death of the 26″ wheel will be the death of the 6ft shed.

Long live the 26″er!

Paceman
    Free Member

My size large 29er full-susser is 2-3mm shorter than the medium 26er full-susser it replaced.

Although I think it depends on the bike, i.e. some 26ers are slack and long, some 29ers are slack and long.

Yes, I can just about shut the back door of a Land Rover 110 on a 29er.
    There’s a couple of inches clearance with a 26er.
    The tandem has to go on the roof. 😀

BrickMan

Yes they are longer!
    Rode a spesh camber fsr, only about 100mm of travel but it felt about 9′ long, also trying to get it in and out of car was a pigging nightmare.

b45her
    Free Member

of course they are longer, longer wheel bases + 3″ in extra wheel diameter to add.

clubber
    Free Member

The wheel diameter is what really makes the difference. My 29er is shorter in wheelbase than at least one of my 26″ bikes.

TooTall
    Free Member

of course they are longer, longer wheel bases + 3″ in extra wheel diameter to add.

50% correct, 50% what you’ve been told.

Must try harder.

flatfish
    Free Member

My 29 is slightly shorter than my 26

londonerinoz
    Free Member

To get any of my bikes into the boot of my Focus sedan involves taking both wheels off, but it’s so tight with the 29er I have to rotate the cage of the rear mech forward before lowering the rear of the frame in. Even then it only clears by a few mm provided the handlebar is fully driven into the opposite corner. I would have had to chop the bars if it didn’t fit, although that wouldn’t bother me because I’m still getting used to how huge they are.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Serious question about these big wheeled bikes’ is closed to new replies.