• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Serious puncture this morning…
  • WillH

About a km or so from work I felt something ping under my wheels, figured it was just a random bit of crap littering the edge of the lane. Then I noticed a bumpy/lumpy feel to my rear wheel, so stopped to have a look…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o86PcR]20140625_083008[/url] by W Hyde, on Flickr

😯

There’s a puncture strip around the middle, which I guess has done its job by deflecting the nail out the side rather than busting the tube and damaging the rim. So, what’s the best way of repairing the tyre? Is a regular patch on the inside up to the job?

tthew

I’d probably go for something a bit less stretchy, like a piece of old tyre, but yes, patch the inside is what I would do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll need to patch the tyre.

The nail has gone right through the pincture proof strip, its only chance it has gone through the side.

EDIT its a separate strip, you may be right!

I’ve had a screw go through the rim 😮

boxelder

No repair needed if using tubes

WillH

cynic-al – yes, the puncture strip is an after-market thing. I haven’t taken it apart yet to have a proper look, but I’m assuming the nail didn’t go through. Although, while the tyre didn’t go flat straight away, it is now flat some 3.5 hours later, so the tube must be damaged.

boxelder – my concern is that I’ve had two tubes explode violently through small holes in tyres. One just riding along and the tube forced its way out through a small hole in the tyre – probably from a bit of broken glass. Second one the bike was parked right outside our Director’s office (nearly gave him a heart attack when it popped)and the tube forced its way out through a spot where the bead had started to separate from the sidewall. The slit was only maybe 5mm long in both cases. I guess a nail hole will only be an almost infinitely small hole, but I think I’d be happier with patches of some description rather than risk a blowout. I think I’ll try tthew’s suggestion, and chop some bits of sidewall from an old tyre.

UncleFred
    Free Member

You’ll get away with a strip of insulating tape or duct tape on the inside of the tire.

globalti
    Free Member

A latex inner tube will herniate out through a small hole and pop loudly. A butyl tub won’t, but I would stick a regular repair patch on the inside of the tyre anyway.

DrJ

Aah – I though this was going to be another Suarez thread …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Serious puncture this morning…’ is closed to new replies.