Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Serious helmet question – rotational injuries and the like
  • RealMan
    Free Member

I have really short hair at the moment, to the point where the friction, say between my head and a t shirt, is increased quite a lot. When I wear a helmet it feels really stuck to my head.

Would this increase the effect of a rotational strain of some sort on my neck if I crashed?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you actually expect a definitve answer from that thread on here 😯
    I will start what colour jersey are you wearing?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… I’ve been thinking of conducting an experiment into this exact topic. All I need is a real man to experiment on.

Does anyone know a real man?

RealMan
    Free Member

you actually expect a definitve answer from that thread on here

Worth a go, it’s a pretty yes or no question.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Real man- the main risk of rotational injury is not neck but brain trauma “diffuse axon injury” if you want to google it. Neck injury maybe involved as well

However even tho I am interested in this I really couldn’t guess if that would make any significant difference. NO data to base it on.

Both wiki and cyclehelmets.org have links to research if you want to have a look

Markie
    Free Member

Yes. NASA, worried about any negative implications of the ‘buzz cut’ then favored by its astronauts, did a great deal of research in this area using both monkeys and velcro. See Development of a Space Activity Suit (amongst other papers) for details.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

If your worried why not do some exercise to help strengthen your neck up.

RealMan
    Free Member

using both monkeys and velcro

😆

Not worried, just curious..

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I read up on similar incidence of injuries being caused by safety equipment after I broke a collarbone. Given that the break was directly under the strap of my Camelbak seemed to curious not to.

People have fielded arguments both ways … but without chucking a crash test dummy down a ravine I guess it will all remain “theory” for now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mightymarmite – there has actually been a fair amount of research on rotation and helmets. The effect exists I have no doubt, What we don’t know is it how significant it is in cycling in real life. One bit of research suggested 30% of all cycling head injuries were related to helmet rotation, others that it is an insignificant effect.

Cycle helmets are worse for it that other types.

An area for more research for sure

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Apologies … should have clarified. I was talking about collarbone injuries not helmets (really shouldn’t distract threads).

neninja
    Free Member

Another mate saved by wearing a helmet at the weekend – crashed hard and head hit a tree stump – no head trauma but broke some ribs.

Personally I’d rather risk wearing a helmet. I would imagine the smoother the surface of the helmet and fewer vents would reduce the risk of rotational injuries.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Serious helmet question – rotational injuries and the like’ is closed to new replies.