Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • sensible amount of weight to lose weekly??
  • renton
    Free Member

Right,

I will try and be brief….

Im off to the Falklands with work on the 19th july for 4 months.

I really want to lose as much weight as I can.

I would also like to get a lot fitter(im ok at long days out on the bike but dont really have much in the way of sprinting ability!!)

Im aiming to lose 15 kgs (one a week!)

does this sound like to much to keep off long term??

whats the best way of going about it??

help!!

p.s i know all about calories in needs to be less than calories out!!

ton

i have lost a stone in 3 weeks, which is good, but i think it will slow down.
    i am aiming to get down to 18 stone, and hope to do it in a year.
    i weighed 22 stone 3 weeks ago.

renton
    Free Member

for extra info i have access to a gym , swimming pool and possibly a few hills!!

Im also going to re learn n the art of running!!

i had bi lateral fasciotomies for compartment syndrome which stopped me running for a bit which is why ive piled the pounds on!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

**** me ton!!! im 18 stone now and want to get down to 15 at least!!

iirc your a rugby player yes??

what have you done to lose it then mate??

ton

i was mate….not played for a few years.
    played pro in my teens and 20's.
    always been big, 16 or 17 stone when i was 17 up to being 35, then i smashed my knee, and was unable to run at all.
    prior to this i was playing rugby weekly, doing triathlons and mtbing.

all i can do now it ride the bike, but i have let myself go a bit i suppose.
    i can still ride the bike allday, and for consecutive days.

so i have set a target to try and get down to 18 stone hopefully before my 45th birthday.

renton
    Free Member

my plan goes something like this….

swim in the morning before breakfast for an hour.

then either a weight or cardio session in the evening for an hour.

how much can you actually do a day before it loses its effect??

metalheart
    Free Member

they say that only 1-2 pounds a week is sensible (so a kg isn't that much more). You may find a big drop the first week but chances are its just water loss.

Conversely, if you suddenly up the exercise you may find that your weight stays static for a bit (or maybe even rise). Also appetite may increase…

Just take it easy for the start and build up.

Keeping it off is the hard part… I should know 🙁

Good luck!

Karl33to
    Free Member

about 1 or two pounds a weeks is a pretty sensible and achievable target imho

A tip I've been given is increasing the amount of protein in your diet, as protein + DECENT carbs will help keep you feeling fuller for longer and also help with muscle building after exercise, which in turn helps burn even more calories!

also drink LOTS of water and try not to use the car 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

2 pounds per week is do-able but will be quite arduous after you go past the "easy win" bit. It depends to an extent on how overweight you are to start with. Remember that losing 2 pounds per week will be roughly equivalent to a calorie deficit of 6500, or somewhat more than 2 days worth of the guideline calorie intake of an average male.

renton
    Free Member

well im 18.5 stone at the moment and would ideally like to get down to 15!!

birly-shirly
    Free Member

1kg a week is a sensible target.

BUT, for a 15kg loss, 5kg is likely to be lean tissue rather than fat unless you challenge your strength whilst losing the weight.

I'm working on this just now, and hoping that a weights routine based around squats, deadlifts and lunges will minimise the loss of muscle. To be honest, within about 10kg or so of goal weight, I'd settle for half a kilo per week weight loss so long as I'm not losing muscle.

nickc

Your food intake will be more important than exercise regime

Jamie
    Free Member

Your food intake will be more important than exercise regime

^^this^^

birly-shirly
    Free Member

mebbes aye, mebbes no

there's probably no amount of exercise that you couldn't still outeat in a splurge, so yes – you've got to look at your intake

but – if your goal is to get leaner and fitter, rather than just to weigh lighter on the scales, then I think exercise in terms of amount and quality is critical

it's not a question of which is more important – it's a question of which changes you most need to make and what changes you can make to your lifestyle

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Primal Blueprint. 1-2lbs a week, no loss of lean muscle mass. Just latent body fat reserves. I have been on it 5 weeks fully and have lost about 14lbs, none of it water as im exercising less and drinking more.
    I was 100 kg and now 94kg, youre a little bigger than me, so may even come off quicker.
    Had my first I.F. day yesterday (36 hrs in total without food), and didnt feel hungry at all. (i will stress these arent a fundamental part of the plan, just fancied trying it.)

renton
    Free Member

swift can you give me some more info on this primal blueprint !!

what are you eating daily etc etc!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Look up the book on amazon, or do what i did, start by picking it up from Marksdailyapple.com, then if you like it, buy the book.

The premise is, Insulin is bad. To stop over production of insulin (and possibly hyperinsulinemia and type 2 diabetes, among other conditions), you have to restrict glucose levels in the bloodstream.
    Eat a lot of carbs, and you get a glucose spike (if your not massively active). Body produces insulin to transport it away, to the organs, and liver for converting to fat for storage. When too much insulin compared to glucose, you cant burn body fat as effectively, and you get hungry (bonking anyone?). bad cycle.

Do this by cutting out all carbs other than fruits and vegetables (and even some of these are restricted)
    That means cereals, rice (some wild rice is occasionally allowed), potatos, pasta, and anything made from them (biscuits, bread, etc), are out, plus fizzy drinks.
    Basic dairy products are in, raw or at a push organic milk, butter, cheese are ok. Red wine is supposedly good too, but not to my liking.

Try derive 60% of calorific intake from fats and 30 percent from protein, your natural (fruit/veg) carbs will make up the rest.

Typical day is 3or 4 egg omelette for breakfast (garlic and chilli, with cheese and tomato is great), nice chicken or tuna salad or similar for lunch, and meat and three veg for dinner. Chuck in a couple of bits of fruit, and thats about typical. Do sometimes drop a meal though, as im just not as hungry anymore.

Very easy whilst i'm at work (offshore, good choice), and easy to plan at home. Ties in nicely with allotment too.

Its not just an eating plant its a lifestyle, but insulin control is the fundamental thing. Body just reverts back to how its programmed and burns fat for energy.

best thing for me has been the easily sustained energy levels and the lack of hunger, pretty much completely. (This is usually triggered by the brain asking for glucose when it runs low, due to over production of insulin)

Im not interested in people arguing with me either (quoting iDave lol) as this has worked for me, and having seen the research, i know its fundamentally correct.

birly-shirly
    Free Member

hmm –

(a)

I'm not interested in people arguing with me as this has worked for me;

(b)

having seen the research, I know its fundamentally correct.

Would it be unreasonable to ask you to pick one?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Not sure what you're getting at here b-s, just as many on here, sick of people arguing, just presenting an opinion.
    References are in the book, and being sad ive looked a few of them up, and they hold true.

birly-shirly
    Free Member

Just this.

I've got no problem at all with anyone saying "This is what worked for me" – but that's an explicitly qualified statement.

Saying – "This regime is scientifically validated" is quite a bit broader. The insulin "science" that you described sounds very like the same stuff that got quoted in support of Atkins and other ideas like the Caveman diet and "Eat Fat and Grow Slim". AFAIK – that science is anything but uncontentious. But you could guess that from a visit to the Primal Blueprint website where they promise to challenge the Conventional Wisdom that is making you fat.

Finally, saying "this is the science – but I don't want to debate it" – is just, well, profoundly unscientific.

But if you've had success with Primal Blueprint then good for you. I'm sure there are lots of ways to get the job done, and I hope you have long term success with this one.

jacko54321
    Free Member

2% a week i thiknk is safe and achievable

Swiftacular
    Free Member

The insulin "science" that you described sounds very like the same stuff that got quoted in support of Atkins and other ideas like the Caveman diet and "Eat Fat and Grow Slim"

It is very like it, in fact, one and the same. i was asked to explain it by the OP, or i wouldn't have bothered, i'm not selling it.

And to say its scientifically validated in my uneducated eyes, and it has worked for me is not some kind of oxymoron, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Still can't see what you're getting at apart from nit-picking.

Saying i dont want to debate it, isn't particularly unscientific either, go look and make your own mind up, but as it is working for me, i'm not interested in stopping, so i'm not interested in debating it too much.

Take any issues up with the guy that wrote the book (Mark Sissons).

Woody
    Free Member

There's an Australian called Geoff Jowett who promotes a very similar regime to the above based on low/no carbs and eating at least every 3 hours. The idea being that insulin 'spikes' are avoided and by eating regularly, the body will stop storing fat as there is a regular supply of food.

Interestingly, strenuous exercise is discouraged initially but you must walk at least 10000 steps daily, which is trying to replicate the walking/foraging habits of our ancestors.

Seems to work and is also healthy. My biggest problem has been remembering to eat at least every 3 hours !

birly-shirly
    Free Member

Swift – Member

And to say its scientifically validated in my uneducated eyes, and it has worked for me is not some kind of oxymoron, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Still can't see what you're getting at apart from nit-picking.

Saying i dont want to debate it, isn't particularly unscientific either, go look and make your own mind up, but as it is working for me, i'm not interested in stopping, so i'm not interested in debating it too much.

Well, I don't want to argue about whether I understand the science better than you do – but before anyone gets carried away with the science of carbohydrates, insulin and weight control I would always recommend that they read this – http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake/
    and for balance, this – http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/an-exercise-in-vitriol-rather

(there's a link from that second article to yet another response if you're still interested after all that)

If you're having success with a low-carb diet, then good luck to you. But it might become important to know why Atkins and similar diets might work – especially if your weightloss stalls, or you get bored of the restricted diet, or you don't have the energy to ride your bike, or your breath honks….

Renton said right at the start that he knows about calorific balance. However, the science cited in support of Atkins and similar diets fundamentally challenges the idea that weight loss is the result of a calorie-deficit.

That doesn't mean that people won't lose weight on a low-carb diet. But one explanation as to why (quoted from the first article I linked) is that you're left eating a lot of fat, and you get tired of that. Over time people eat fewer calories…

or

"If you're only allowed to shop in two aisles of the grocery store, does it matter which two they are?"

Incidentally, but not irrelevantly for this forum, Gary Taubes, the subject of the first article I posted and probably one of the more famous advocates of low-carb eating is also rather famous for writing that exercise is at best irrelevent to weight-control.

molgrips
    Free Member

Carbs = good.

Too many carbs = bad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You forgot "wrong type of carbs = bad"

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"exercise is at best irrelevent to weight-control."

If you exert more than you can consume, your body digests its reserves. Look at any high altitude mountaineer or pulk dragging polar explorer. But these are exceptional circumstances so maybe what you say is right for office workers.

molgrips
    Free Member

"exercise is at best irrelevent to weight-control."

Can't see how that's true. Lots of reasons why exercise is good for weight loss BUT also lots of reasons why exercise can make it difficult.

ski
    Free Member

ton – Member

i have lost a stone in 3 weeks, which is good, but i think it will slow down.
    i am aiming to get down to 18 stone, and hope to do it in a year.
    i weighed 22 stone 3 weeks ago.

Hi Ton, that's some impressive weight loss in 3 weeks mate, is that all diet related? Or have you upped/changed your exercise too?

Renton – going back to your op, I was told years back by a personal trainer at the time, that aiming to lose 1 lb a week was sensible.

I have no idea though tbh if that was good advice.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Lots of reasons why exercise is good for weight loss BUT also lots of reasons why exercise can make it difficult

So on balance, irrelevant? 😉

And PB isnt as low carb as Atkins, its just resticted for sources of carbs.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not irrelevant, it can be a vital tool, but it can also stop you losing weight. So very much relevant either way.

markfu
    Free Member

Careful in the Falklands Renton, it will go one of two ways down there – You either get very fit or very pi55ed. The gym down there is the best one i've seen on a military base. There is also a trimm trail around the outside of the Death Star, quite good for an all over workout and for learning to run in gale force winds. However, beware of the pull of the bars, there were loads of them the last time that i went, and it's easy to slip into the drinking lifestyle, as there is literally naff all else to do.

Good luck.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘sensible amount of weight to lose weekly??’ is closed to new replies.