Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • sensible advice for a very confused girl!!
  • emma82
    Free Member

Hello

I am going to Morzine/le gets/les arcs for 9 days in June camping here there and everywhere. I currently have a Specialized FSR XC 09 (Comp). We are only intending to ride the XC there although other half will probably have a go at the dedicated DH runs too as he has a much bigger bike than me and is much braver.

Anyways….. my question is – from any of you who have actually ridden the cross country over there will my bike be suitable? its only 120 mm travel. I have so far had from other forums that really I need to have a full DH bike, that I definitely need more travel as I will (these were not the exact words used but this is how I interpreted it) 'die' if I don't. However, I am not an aggressive rider and I know my limits. I don't really want to shell out on a new bike if my bike will be alright. I've just demo'd a Zesty 514 which was very nice but I still don't know if I can justify it.

Has anyone ridden out there on a feeble XC 120mm bike and did you die? I've taken my current bike around trail centers the country over and never had any problems, my only complaint being that it can be a bit bouncy on climbs but I can live with that. What do you think?

Thank you! 😯

andrewh
    Free Member

Your bike should be fine if you don't get over-ambitious. Plenty of places to hire big-bikes if you get braver, you don't need to buy one just for a single holiday.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I rode the passporte du solieil in 2004 on a 100mm XC bike, and my mate was still running v brakes. You'll be fine.

Having said that, you will have a lot more fun on a longer travel bike

schmiken

That will work fine. Maybe get some big tyres for a bit of confidence, some spare brake pads and enjoy yourself!

Cue someone having done it on a hardtail….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Your bike will be fine. It's not about the bike.

singlespeedstu

It's a holiday.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Lots of people buy second hand bikes for this type of trip then sell them on afterwards, much cheaper than hiring unless you are unlucky and buy a wreck.

Having said that you perhaps won't be riding much harder stuff, so your current bike could be fine. You could always hire in resort (pricey) if you feel massively underbiked after a few days.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hi Emma,
    For the XC stuff there your bike will be perfect.
    As you've said, you're not an aggressive rider, and you know your limits.
    It's not all 'radical extreme' there. There are some super XC trails as well. You'll be fine.

SB

IA

5" bike is perfect for XC round there, and will get you down most popular DH trails fine.

(been out to that area 7 years or something)

nickc

It'll be perfect for the XC routes out there. I've been maybe 6 times to that area, and only had a FS for one trip. most other times I was using a HT with 100-120mm travel. The only thing I ever do before going is change the brake fluid; if you're on hydro brakes.

As some-one else has said, relax, it's a holiday.

Ambrose

You will not die. You will however think that you might have- and ended up in MTB heaven. The riding there is stunningly wonderful. I'd be happy to ride there with your bike. Don't worry about bouncy climbs either- the chairlifts do that for you.

There are loads of threads regularly posted about the suitability of various types of bikes for various trails out there- don't take everything that is said as the gospel truth, because different people have different views (myself included). I am an XC rider, the XC trails out there are all suitable, as are some of the DH's. I've seen Black runs ridden with style grace and panache by people in 3 inch hardtails, and I've seen testosterone fueled 'experts' dressed like stormtroopers really mess up riding some of the simplest runs imaginable.

Top tips- take bigger tyres than you would ever imagine you might need. Take spare brake pads. Wearing leg pads makes you feel more confidant- so you ride better! Take your time, don't feel intimidated- it's a holiday- have fun.

If you wish I can send you some great GPX routes for Morzine/Les Gets.

hearne_ogwen52AThotmailDOTcom

souldrummer
    Free Member

Rode loads of XC stuff over the valley from Les Gets on my Reign but never used all the travel. Met lots of other riders doing similar things to me on bikes with less travel. Not everyone wants to go flying down ready made trails. There is a lot of natural stuff which is a lot of fun. Mind you there is also stuff that is terrifying. I thought I was following the trails marked in the book and ended up faced with, what looked like, a vertical wall of trees and roots. Suffice it to say I walked it!!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Cue someone having done it on a hardtail….

yo!

Ambrose

Souldrummer- would that be bits of the Chapelle de Jacqincourt run by any chance?

emma82
    Free Member

Thank you all, just the reassurance I wanted. I couldn't quite see how it was going to be a problem. I fully intend to cover as much as I can but relax at the same time! Really excited!
    Thank you!
    Emma x

juan
    Free Member

Big DH tyres and roll on you'll be just fine…

toys19
    Free Member

on my 6th trip to morzine, have been overtaken on a gnarly rooty black run by aguy on a hard tail with 100mm forks and v brakes. It's not the wand it's the wizard waving it.

You will be absolutely fine, no death, only smiles, ride whatever you feel. Its just like home only with lifts, and larger percentage of steep bits, long runs that just always go down, but the terrain is exactly like that you will have seen before.

People do talk such sheeeeeiiite sometimes, ignore them.

mboy
    Free Member

Echo most above thoughts…

Have been out there on everything from a 5" travel XC bike like your Stumpjumper, to a full on DH bike. Anything and everything is fun. Even a hardtail if you're mad enough like one or 2 of my mates!

Just fit some bigger grippier tyres (something like a 2.35" Maxxis High Roller, any bigger will not fit your frame probably), get your brakes serviced, and possibly fit bigger rotors… Oh, and take spare brake pads!

Otherwise, just ride and have fun… The worst case of lack of fun in the Alps I have seen wasn't due to the amount of suspension travel, or lack of grip, but brakes boiling over constantly causing the guy to have to walk down the hills!

solamanda
    Free Member

You'll be fine. Make sure you fit proper dual ply dh tyres, get your brakes serviced and fitted with soft pads (plus spares).

I first when to Morzine for a DH holiday with a 130mm bike and was fine despite being new to DH. One guy in our group was riding a 100mm xc bike and was fine.

hora
    Free Member

emma there is some stunning singletrack there. Down the back of Les Gets to Morzine is some stunning swooping stuff that brings you out by a Chapel halfway as well as loops around Mont Cherie (sp?) etc etc.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Bigger tyres, spare brake pads and a bike you're comfortable with is all you need.

I've never ridden a bike with more than 120mm travel abroad and never had a problem, you'll enjoy it and naturally ride within your limits. Good technique will get you down most trails, even some of the DH courses. Taking a bigger bike and you might end up injured if you find yourself at speeds you can't handle.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Agree with all those above that your bike will be fine.

I did Morzine/Les Gets 2 years running on a 100mm Epic and did all the excellent DH runs umpteen times, 1 year on a 130mm Stumpjumper and this year Les Arcs is coming up with a 140mm Orange 5.

The bigger the bike the faster you can go and in some respects the more forgiving the ride will be until you loose it and hit a tree but you won't die, you'll have loads and loads of fun and you'll be looking forward to next year when you're on the plane home.

I thought I'd be xc'ing it when I went out there the first time as the DH stuff sounded daunting, but soon ended up sessioning the excellent black (think trail centre red with a few black bits) World Cup Le Plenay run in Morzine day after day.

I would recommend you buy a full face helmet though, around £50 quid for a perfectly good basic one at CRC at the moment, and some knee/shin & elbow/forearm pads (which you can hire there along with a helmet if you wish).

Have fun!

hora
    Free Member

The first time I 'did Morzine was on the original Fox 125R forks. Loved it. Doesn't matter if the mountain was waaay faster than me.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah I would echo the brakes and tyres advice, widest tyres you can, biggest rotors, superstar do 203mm for 13.99 each, adaptors on CRC, and yes loads of spare pads…

RichPenny
    Free Member

I've seen people ride the easier bits of les arcs on a bog standard spesh hardrock, and I mean stuff like black8 and the simpler footpaths. You'll be fine, just a bit scared for the first hour or so 😉

emma82
    Free Member

Thanks all- imnotamused – will be getting a full face and my other half is treating himself to new pAds so I'm going to have his old knee and elbow pads and will, having read all the Above get some bigger tyres. Think my first post was I'll placed as it was on a forum that I now know really only attracts the hardcore dhillers so a the above is great, very reassuring And making me wish June would hurry up and arrive although we are going to afan and llandegla before france. Bring on the summer !! 🙂

souldrummer
    Free Member

Ambrose; can't remember exactly where it was without digging out the books. All I remember is one minute I was admiring the beauty of the Alps, chatting to a group of riders and congratulating myself at having negotiated (a) the map/guide (which didn't always tie up) and (b) the trails when I hung a left and was faced with something I really didn't like the look of at all: even more so as I was on my own!!!

With regard to some of the suggestions of hiring a bike I remember someone once saying that it was better to take a bike you know rather than trying to deal with new and bigger trails and a new bike you are not familiar with.

jeb

Get fx a schwalbe fat albert folding 2.3 on front and rear stunningly good tire,(get the newest edition, they made it lighter) and you will be fine.

Radioman

Only thing i would add is to make sure your bike is well serviced before. Especially a brake bleed plus new pads & a fork service. With a nice set of big tyres that will make a huge difference.

Sonor
    Free Member

I took my Giant trance 100mm travel to Morzine and did the pass portes Du Soleil. I just upgunned the front disk stuck downhill tubes in, put Schwalbe alberts on and that was it. Bought some elbow/shin pads and a full face helmet.

The first afternoon I was there I was in the bar when the rest of the group turned up and wanted to try Le Plenney. I'd had a pint at this point. It was good fun. Although a downhill run it was rideable for someone who doesn't even get small air, in fact the only injury I picked up on that tripped was leaning over to take my pads off at the bottom of le Plenney and getting a belt off the electric fence keeping the cows in. 😳

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Rather than worry if the bike will cope why don't think about the setup of the bike. As other people have said make sure you have new fluid in your brakes and they are running well. If you will be doing more gravity type riding think about investing in some more DH'ey parts for your 'XC' bike such as a short stem, wider bars, possibly bigger rotors (check your bike can take bigger rotors), dual ply tyres with bigger casing, DH inner tubes. All these things help make any bike more suited to these type of environments. Also some decent armour and full face helmet will help with the confidence and have FUN!!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

+1 one on brake servicing and DH tyres, try to ensure your suspension settings are dialled in as well. Trying some slightly rougher uk trails is a good idea. I know it's not lady like, but alpine trails are harder on the arms than anything over here, so some workouts before you go with light weights or a power ball can make things a little easier.

There should be less braking bumps in June although it can be a little wetter. Hope you're not going before all the lifts open!

Del

+1 on a familiar bike rather than something 'more suitable' by someone else's standards. and yeah – rode me HT there with 130mm air fork. i survived!
    i took dh tubes with me but only used one in the back on the last day on the way back to the chalet. maxxis do 'freeride' tubes which i'd recommend if you're quite a light rider.
    it will be quite hard on you and the bike – probably 10 days uk riding over 5 days there equivalent, so do think about brakes ( bleeding, as above ), fork and shock servicing ( even if you just take spare shock bushes ), and organic pads for the brakes.
    have fun!

xcstu
    Free Member

Emma.. Have been to Morzine and Les Gets… still alive 😉

No arm or leg pads.. Normal Helmet.. 180/160 mono mini brakes and a xc santa cruz 4" travel and 120mm forks… and was perfectly fine on all of the runs!

Only thing maybe to consider is getting a good set of tyres for the job

mudmonster
    Free Member

Went to Les Arc last year. The main trouble I had was my brakes overheated a few times (old style minis with 160mm rotors). They would pump up really badly and then without warning go straight down to the bars. Wasn't very good for my confidence. Some of the decents are very long. Bought better brakes with 180mm rotors when I got back. One of my friends was riding a hardtail with 80mm travel, he did fine. Big tyres is a good idea as long as they are not too big for your rims.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

My gf of the time last year went on the Flowmtb dirt girls week. I believe there were girls with hardtails there?
    You'll be fine on a 120.

juan
    Free Member

I would recommend you buy a full face helmet though, around £50 quid for a perfectly good basic one at CRC at the moment,

That if fantastic… but how is she supposed to try it?

igm

I went with an Orange Five (so 140mm not 120mm but whose counting), open face helmet, gloves, no shin pads or any other body armour, 3 yr old son on a LOCT seat in front me (Druidh will be along to accuse me of being a bad father in a minute) and a smile.

That was OK on the red down hill off Chavannes (not particularly extreme really) including the 4X(ish) bit at the bottom. And I wasn't overtaken, nor did I have a queue of folks behind me.

My wife didn't like watching though (but she was OK with us doing it), and it seemed to wind up some of the guys done up as stormtroopers. That said some of those stromtroopers were very good.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Juan – measure your head then buy the correct sized helmet referring to the chart on the web page? That's what I did and it seemed to work. Alternatively go somewhere else to buy one.

emma82
    Free Member

Nice pics xcstu!
    😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘sensible advice for a very confused girl!!’ is closed to new replies.