• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Senna
  • smogmonster

Just arrived in the mail, gonna watch it tonight…i hear good things, so am i in for a treat?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Saw it in the cinema, very good indeed. Enjoy.

nbt

Spellbinding. sat entranced for two hours, even though I knew what was going to happen I still got upset. Remember watching it 🙁

the-muffin-man

Very good film, but if you know a lot about Senna already there won’t be any surprises for you.

smogmonster

He doesnt sink does he?

binners

Its amazing! A brilliantly made film! Like nbt says, even though you know whats coming, its still shocking and very very moving.

bazzer
    Free Member

Brilliant film, amazing how you can watch the same footage with hindsight and it seem very different.

The footage of him at Imola in his car before the race is very different when it has sad music over the top rather than Murray talking. It reminded me why I used to like watching F1 !!!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Can’t wait for a bit of this looks awesome.

Speshpaul

I watched before the Gp at Suzuka this weekend. Was interesting to see some 1st bend pushing 🙂

Very sad to watch senna watching the monitors at his last Gp. Ratzenberger (sp/sorry) seems to have passed before the car had stopped moving.
    How anyone got back in to teh car after watching that i don’t know, not when you don’t need to. But maybe the need is everything.

binners

The on board footage of him in the rain at Monaco is incredible!! Wrestling the car from lock to lock all the way round

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I saw it at the cinema and was thoroughly engrossed and saddend. I hadn’t really followed F1 when he was driving (I was 9 when he died) but I still remember the news reports.

xcgb
    Free Member

I remember exactly where I was when i heard the news, one of those moments in life

richmtb

A brilliant film. An absolute must for any F1 fan and a well told human drama for those who aren’t the biggest F1 fans

nbt

The on board footage of him in the rain at Monaco is incredible

+2, Mrs NBT was as gobsmacked at me at just how damned good he was

domwells27
    Free Member

Already seen it twice. I’m too young to have followed him but was engrossed even on the second viewing. Very moving, brilliantly made

derek_starship
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

I’d never seen the actual footage of Martin Donnelly’s crash at Jerez before but it kinda reminds you/wakes you up to the risks they took back then.

If you want to look into safety and the risks etc they took look up the youtube video of David Purley (who was subsequently awarded the Georges Cross) for the dismay at his friend Roger Williamsons’s demise.

That stays with you.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Mine arrived last Friday & I watched it over the weekend.

I do remember a fair amount for watching the GP’s at the time but enjoyed the behind the scenes. Really enjoyed it & it does show that history does repeat itself.

At the time I wasn’t a huge Senna fan, over the years I have moved to being a bigger fan & watching the docufilm makes me think I am right to having done so.

A remarkable driver & man

hora
    Free Member

I’ll be honest I never cared for Senna or ‘le Professor’.

Vague memories but I thought they were both as bad as each other and questioned why the way they drove.

I was into Manselmania 8)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

£9.99 in sainburys. Good film and reminds me why I used to watch F1. Not quite the life changing movie some of the hype suggests but very good

hels
    Free Member

Some of the librarians at work are just prepping a few years of Motorsport for pulping. The first one I picked up (December 1991) has the head line “Senna – A Champion in Disgrace” and the article isn’t very complimentary. Will keep reading…

hora
    Free Member

One thing I am glad of though for watching ‘Senna’- Back in the 90’s my mate argued about really how good Damon Hill was saying he had a brilliant car.

The previous years Renault/Williams of Mansells was amazing – the clip of the car ride height changing! but Senna signed the year the changes came in and the Renault went backwards – hence possibly the accident?

Anyway Damon was in the same car, started to make it work from 94 onwards and started winning 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to seeing it, although at the time I was not a Senna fan and still believe that his willingness to crash into a rival was too serious a flaw to be ignored and taints a brilliant driving ability.

His death was the one and only time I’ve ever called a tv channel (Eurosport IIRC) to complain about the coverage. They had a helicopter overhead which carried on filming and broadcasting after the doctor arrived and it was very obvious what was going on and the likely outcome

doof_doof
    Free Member

Those pre race driver meetings in the movie were shambolic.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

His death was the only time I have turned a GP off, after Barichello, Ratzenburger & Senna I felt the event & coverage should be stopped out of respect for the drivers & victims.

Hora +1 I was into Mansellmania as well

PePPeR

I wasn’t a particular Senna fan, but watching him at Donnington in the rain was a race I shall never ever forget!!

SaxonRider

I have tried and tried to care about this film, but the subject matter just hasn’t gripped me.

hora
    Free Member

Funny (Thking about it).

I was a fan of
    Mansell
    Damon
    Hamilton

The only other F1 driver I was approaching ‘backing’ was Mika.

binners

Hora – why not grow a great big tash like your hero? GO on! I dares ya! 😉

hora
    Free Member

You do realise its movember very soon?

I’m going for this look this time

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was a fan of
    Mansell
    Damon
    Hamilton

Well, at least two of the most whiney, whinging moaning excuse mongers in F1 ever! And a bloke who only won cos his far more talented team-mate was killed in a crash…

Anyway Damon was in the same car, started to make it work from 94 onwards and started winning

Do you actually watch F1 Hora? Hill came into a team led by Prost, who’d developed the car, then was number two to Senna. He only won when the Williams was by far the best car on the grid. Still, he deserved his title more than Villeneuve, who merely inherited the best car. Neither were in the same league as Prost, Senna, Schumacher, etc. Had Senna lived, I doubt Hill would ever have won his WC.

hora
    Free Member

1992 – Fantastic car result world champion for Mansell in a Williams.
    1993 – Prost wins in Williams

Senna thinks ‘I’ll have some of that and signs for Williams’ sadly….

* rule change * ready for the 94 season robbing the car of its competive and technological edge.

1994 – Williams cars prove to be nervous and almost dangerous to drive

Damo picks up, develops and helps team move forward.

If you are a F1 fan you’ll also know that Damon Hill was a very good testdriver before he got a drivers seat. He could read and feedback to engineers very well.
    1991 – Hill is test drive for Williams
    1994 – Hill loses by one point due to a cheating driver.
    1995 – Hill 2nd in Championship
    1996 – Wins Championship

What if his Dad hadn’t died leaving the family in straightened circumstances and he had then started in F1 a decade earlier instead of at the age of 30?

Anyway. Stop rubbishing a mans achievements.

Woody
    Free Member

Problem with F1 is it’s virtually impossible to gauge who is best due to differences in cars at any point. Would it be better to judge them when car differences are equalised to an extent, in the wet for instance? What about pole positions ie. most poles = fastest driver but that doesn’t take ‘racing’ into account.

The most accurate criteria, I believe, is who other drivers rate the highest, and Senna seems to be top of the list.

Edit: What about other great drivers from different eras who should be in the mix eg. Stewart, Fangio, Brabham

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyway. Stop rubbishing a mans achievements.

I’m not. I’m just stating fact; that he wasn’t in the same class as Senna, Prost, Schuey and others. He wasn’t. Try not to let your adulation cloud facts.

You’ll be telling me next that Martin Brundle was a great F1 driver…. 🙄

This year I have bin very impressed by Jensonbutton.com. Really thought he’d be number two to Hammo, but it’s the other way around, and by a significant amount really in terms of results if not points. Button is staying cool, where Hammo is losing it.

If you combined Hammo and Button, you’d get something like Senna….

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I did find it striking how like Senna Hamilton is or can be, also how much the establishment (Balestre) was against Senna

schrickvr6
    Free Member

An incredible Senna lap, how much rawer were the cars back then…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7078815149532485385

h4muf
    Free Member

Just watched it.

Very emotional for me,the golden era in F1 imho.I will never forget “red 5” doing a doughnut for us in copse in 1992.

Epic.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not sure whether to fork out for this or wait for the Brundle epic, give him his dues, Brundle was probably the best British driver never to have won a world championship.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What, better than Stirling Moss??? 😯

Brundle?

Better than Stirling Moss????

😯

Are you having a bubble?

EDIT: You are aren’t you? This is a wind-up right?

Martin Brundle????

clubber
    Free Member

Got to agree with Elfy though MB was actually a pretty good driver. Kept Schumacher more honest than pretty much anyone else I can think of. And, much as I was/am a fan of Damon he was a good driver but not close to the level of Prost/Senna/Schumacher. A Coulthard if you like – excellent on his day but on average, a step down from the best.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing the Senna film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Senna’ is closed to new replies.