Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • sending emails from your own domain
  • MadBillMcMad

so you own a domain foobar.co.uk & want to send an email from bill@foobar.co.uk

Gmail recently changed their policy.

you can still send emails from email addresses you set up before but now you can not set up new ones.

Any idea how with out using the crappy intyerface you get through your ISP without costing the earth.

Atleast receiving emails from the account is not an issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can pay google to do it.

MadBillMcMad

yeah that’s the issue.
    $5 per email address per month.

nickjb
    Free Member

From what platform? I use thunderbird on a pc and an app called e-mail on my phone

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive had my own domain with mail registered with google for 8 or 9 years and never been able to send from more address than Ive subscribed SMTP services for. Have I missed something?

MadBillMcMad

Stoner,
    Ditto, it is just that I can not set up new ones.

& recently bought a domain for my son but can not use the niceness of gmail for it.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hi mate – I’m a web dev / host – I recommend you use zoho for your emails – you can point your mx records (your domains mail records) to zoho and they handle all your incoming / outgoing mail – it’s free for up to 5 accounts irc and has all the tools similar to gmail if that suits you.

Other than that google apps like you mention you pay per inbox so you can have bill@ bob@ joe@ all in the same inbox for the same cost. But then you have to pay if you want them all to separate inboxes.

I recommend zoho but I also recommend you setup dkim and spf no matter which you go with so your email’s are sent securely and can’t be duped.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah – to get the mail gmail to work with your own domain yes you need to subscribed to google at $50 ish a year.

My son, for now, has a free gmail address, before long though I will add him to my domain and pay for him to have ad free google services.

Stoner
    Free Member

because if he’s on the same domain I can more easily share stuff with him and manage add ons and apps through my co domain.

MadBillMcMad

cheers alexxx – I’ll look in to that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’re prepared to pay, slightly cheaper than gmail is Office 365 Exchange at $4/£2.50 per user / month.

Can set up as many alias email addresses you want, but it will be one mailbox it goes into.

More business oriented and does all the corporate Exchange / Outlook kind of stuff with meeting scheduling and all that as well.

geoffj

More business Microsoft way of doing things oriented and does all the corporate Exchange / Outlook kind of stuff with meeting scheduling and all that as well.

FTFY

deadkenny
    Free Member

^ Yep, and it works really well. As much as I like many Google things, I’ve never liked the GMail way of doing things. For business use Office & Exchange are far more powerful.

atlaz
    Free Member

Some registrars give away mailboxes if you have your domain with them. The one I run does. Feel free to drop me a line if you don’t want to use Google or Microsoft

squirrelking
    Free Member

Does your ISP not offer POP3 and IMAP that you can then use through Thunderbird / Outlook?

slowoldman

I use http://www.just-the-name.co.uk for domain hosting and can set up unlimited email addresses which are redirected to the mailbox supplied by my ISP. £10 every 2 years.

aracer
    Free Member

You have SMTP access for sending mail? Can still add a new account to do that with gmail.

Though I think you used to be able to send mail direct from gmail with a different domain for the from address which is what you’re referring to? Strangely I don’t even seem to be able to do that with an apps account, which I thought was still possible reading the help – though maybe that’s because it’s an apps for education account which is a bit different?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘sending emails from your own domain’ is closed to new replies.