Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sending a boxed bike in the post? Who uses what service what price, Help
  • chapps
    Free Member

Im selling my road bike “TT” on Flea bay.

I will box up.
    Just wondering who uses what service to send and costs.
    I would think the bike is 20 Lb
    So packing and box on top of that. So 30lb all up 15kg ish.

Turning up at my local PO will upset the staff with a box that big.
    So maybe courier- Parcel force (Not sure where to drop that though)

Please advise on your experiences 😛
    MC

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From searching on here 🙂 I found that most people use http://www.parcel2go.com or http://www.senditnow.com

Parcel to go ask for the box dimensions and then show you the spread of cost for each carrier.

Send it now looks a bit more crued but I ended up using them on Friday to send a bike as they worked out much cheaper than parcel to go. Send it now used Parcelforce in my instance, not sure if it changes dependant on weight.

Send it now only ask for weight but stipulate a max box length of 1.5m which is easy enough. They quoted £12.50 with no insurance. I put insurance on which bumped the price up to £22 was collected from my house yesterday

MrTall
    Free Member

I sold a jump bike on ebay last week and sent it with ParcelMonkey. They picked it up at my office and delivered it next day by 6pm.

I paid extra for a bit of insurance and it was £24 all in (£21 basic i think). Standard bike box and around 18kg if i recall.

Very happy with them (used them twice recently) and my only minor complaint is that they don’t give you an am/pm pickup slot so you could be waiting in for them all day. Both my pickups came by lunchtime though so not too bad.

mrlugz
    Free Member

I used Direct Courier Solutions off ebay to send a Demo 8. Insured up to £1000 it cost less than 30 quid.

Only downside is waiting in for pick up. They sent TNT to me.

No problems with them. search ebay for bicycle courier.

ransos
    Free Member

I used parcel2go to post a road frame & fork plus parts to the Isle of Wight. Cost £25 insured. They picked it up from my work reception.

bazep
    Free Member

+1 for direct courier solutions. Bit of a pain as they can’t give you a time for pick up or collection (just a day) but they do provide tracking and the insurance was pretty cheap.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t think parcel force will take something that big.

I’ve used Paisleyfreight to send kayak paddles that were too big for parcel force to take. Service was good and price reasonable. They are recommended a bit on the kayaking forum of ukriversguidebook.

worth a look.

chapps
    Free Member

Thanks all good info. 😀

jamiep
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I don’t think parcel force will take something that big.”

Yes they do as above took a bike from me yesterday,the box just had to be less than 1.5m in length

xcstu
    Free Member

Sorry bit of a hijack.. anyone posted out of the UK? and was it expensive?

Cheers

cp
    chakaping
    Free Member

Interparcel worth a look too.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Last frame I posted was via Parcelforce, booked online, only cockup was that they attended to collect on the same day as I’d booked, not the next day as requested. £££ was reasonable and they got the item to a slightly more complicated destination than usual, the guy was a medic living on site in a hospital.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sending a boxed bike in the post? Who uses what service what price, Help’ is closed to new replies.