• This topic has 42 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sending a bike in to scotland
  • juan
    Free Member

Leaving south of england on monday need to be in scotland wednesday or thursday the latest.
    What are the option?
    Can royal mail do it? and if yes is it going to be a disaster?

Thanks

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think it has to go on donkey-back over the Hindu Kush…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are you going by train? Just take it with you.

Posting / couriering will be expensive

BlackDog
    Free Member

Nah Royal Mail don’t come up here yet. It’s all the dirt roads you see, they canny get the trucks over the border.
    Anyway some wee ned will steal it, then sell it to feed his haggis habit.

‘Oh I’ve just come doon fae the Isle of Skye, am no very big…..’

juan
    Free Member

I am flying from france TJ and I have a bike in the UK so It’s about the easier this way.
    So expect the usual banter the post office and parcel force (doesn’t suit the delivery address) what are my option?

dave_aber
    Free Member

It’s going to be expensive.

I paid around £75 to have a nomad shipped sheffield -> Inverness.

You can make it cheaper by:

1. Accepting inadequate insurance cover.
    2. Splitting it into 2 boxes (Wheels in 1, frame in the other)

I wasn’t prepared to reduce insurance cover on an expensive bike, and I wanted the rear wheel fitted to make sure the chainring didn’t ‘eat’ its way out in transit.

If you can strip the chainset off, wheels off, forks off, etc, you ‘might’ get under the size limits which most couriers impose. (2xHeight + 2xwidth + length, usually limited to 3m or 3.5m added up)

In my case, I was buying the bike so I didn’t want too much stripping down.

Interparcel Titan service was what I went with (which ended up as CityLink in the end!)

HTH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Juan – can you not pick the bike up? I take it the bike is not in the same city you are flying to?

Courier company or royal mail but it will seriously cost.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Stick it on the train with a label and a marmalade sandwich a’la Paddington Bear…

juan
    Free Member

well It’s only around 15-20£
    so the same than taking a bike with me but with much more convenience I’ll email you the detail of why it’s more conveninent)

ozzybmx
    Free Member

I think it has to go on donkey-back over the Hindu Kush…

Stick it on the train with a label and a marmalade sandwich a’la Paddington Bear…

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I think it has to go on donkey-back over the Hindu Kush… <

Correct – all normal modes of transport cease to function at Hadrians Wall. Is this a wind up Juan?

juan
    Free Member

Not it’s not I really need my bike posted from soton to scotland.
    Otherwise if I wanted a banter I would have posted in the chat forum

BlackDog
    Free Member

Do you honestly think posting a bike to Scotland is any different to posting a bike to England? If you think we’re so backward up here why the **** are you coming. Oh and remember we all wear skirts, chase haggis, drink whisky by the bucketload and everyone plays the bagpipes. Idiot.

juan
    Free Member

well because blakdog on the parcel froce website the address I need for scotland has plenty of services none available.
    Glad to hear some **** spouting their shite again…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t understand what you mean, are you sending it to the highlands or islands?

druidh
    Free Member

Juan – where does it have to get to?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Pick a courier company then – there are thooosands

juan
    Free Member

Druidh to jo’s so she can bring it when we meet on friday.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyway some wee ned will steal it, then sell it to feed his haggis habit.

Funny you should say that, a mate of mine recently had his birthday, 3 relatives sent cash taped inside in cards. Every single cash-containing card was missing, none of the others. Makes you wonder.

Gary_M
    Free Member

3 relatives sent cash taped inside in cards

Imagine a family with so many stupid people in it.

WackoAK
    Free Member

if I wanted a banter I would have posted in the chat forum

That never stops you from doing the same to other threads in the bike forum…

oldgrump08
    Free Member

juan – try thiscompany

geoffj

Funny you should say that, a mate of mine recently had his birthday, 3 relatives sent cash taped inside in cards. Every single cash-containing card was missing, none of the others. Makes you wonder.

Some posties are thieving bastids shocka!

PS I have probably the best postie in the world 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would be amusing if you were in the Aviemore area over the next few weeks juan, I’m up there on holiday. Would be great if I bumped into you out on the trails.

juan
    Free Member

oldgrump wicked very usefull thank you very much

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you honestly think posting a bike to Scotland is any different to posting a bike to England? If you think we’re so backward up here why the **** are you coming. Oh and remember we all wear skirts, chase haggis, drink whisky by the bucketload and everyone plays the bagpipes. Idiot.

No, fool!
    Juan is in France and is going to Scotland.
    His bike is in Southampton, where he used to live and he wants someone to post it to Scotland to meet him.

I think….? (I am flying from france TJ and I have a bike in the UK so It’s about the easier this way)
    😉

juan
    Free Member

yeap pp marvelous brain strikes again 😀

BlackDog
    Free Member

I have people working for me who travel north/south every day. If you remove that chip from your shoulder 😉 I would be happy to help you out.

cbike
    Free Member

http://www.highlandbicycletransfers.co.uk/
    Kyle will sort you out, he does motorcycle logistics too. I think he is in England just now give him a shout.

or
    I have a van coming from yorkshire to glasgow on sun night if thats any use?!!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Can we arrange an STW chain to get it there? 😉

BlackDog
    Free Member

Also meant to add that I can pick up anywhere in the south via my network of engineers and deliver to virtually anywhere in Scotland next day.

uplink
    Free Member

Blackdog – Missionaries?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m in central Scotland and heading north next week if that’s any use.

Tim
    Free Member

Calm down Juan, i’ll post it monday, it’ll be fine, it’ll cost you a few quid, it will get there 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

3 relatives sent cash taped inside in cards

Imagine a family with so many stupid people in it.

Really isn’t that unusual you know, people expect their mail to be safe and sealed and to suggest they’re stupid because they sent cash is a little inconsiderate, how else do you send small quantities of money as a present? Mosty elderly relatives wouldn’t know how to transfer cash, wouldn’t have their grandsons bank details etc. And certainly none of my grandparents ever had chequebooks so that rules that out. While you or I might realise that not all post office workers are kind souls doing an honest job, many of the older generation make such assumptions as it’s always been safe before. Quite annoying that someones relatives are now being called stupid by you because some scrote can’t keep his theiving hands out of the mail.

It’s rather odd that ONLY those envelopes went missing when there is no way of identifying which cards had a note taped inside? The other cards were not visibly tampered with so who at the PO sorting box has a scanner and is creaming them off the top?

Stoner
    Free Member

Can we arrange an STW chain to get it there?

extremely high risk of sabotage 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Juan, where in scotland?

mrsflash
    Free Member

extremely high risk of sabotage

I should hope so!

Stoner
    Free Member

I should hope so!

profoundly?
    🙂

epicyclo

You coming up for the Puffer Lite?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sending a bike in to scotland’ is closed to new replies.