Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Selling/listing CDs (clearing out stuff content)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Ahead of a potential move overseas, I have around 800 CDs that I would need to get rid of. First of all, I’d like to produce a list: Is there an android app that will produce a list just by scanning the barcodes? It would need to be a list that can be exported to a shareable format, such as pdf etc.

Secondly, where’s the best place to sell them? They are primarily rock and metal CDs. Music Magpie seem to offer around £1/CD.

Poopscoop
    chored
    Free Member

I did something similar recently, dvds and cds.

There are a bunch of sites like music magpie. I picked 4 of them, music magpie, ziffit, zapper and momox.

Scan all your cds using one of their apps, then you can copy and paste the data from their site and reuse the barcodes in the other sites.

They’ll all give different prices, so you can sell different cds to each one depending on how good their price is.

My experience is most cds are worth very little, but you get the odd one which is worth a bit more and it’s sometimes surprising.

Also, sometimes find one site will offer way more for one specific cd than the others.

gordimhor

I sold mine via music magpie it was easy. However the actual price I got was considerably less than the £1 per CD they initially quoted. Maybe my taste in music is just too esoteric 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

I processed a pals once via CEX. 200 cds. Made about 25 quid. Which was immediately spent on the parking fine as her disabled parking parking permit was not up to date.

cranberry
    Free Member

Drop them into the charity shop of your choice – easy for you and you’ll help other people at the same time.

DezB
    Free Member

considerably less than the £1 per CD they initially quoted

Not surprised – MM sell em on eBay for not much more than a quid.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Discogs has a mobile app with a barcode scanner, but if you are moving then only really of use in terms if weeding out the cd’s that might be worth a bit. 800 random cd’s will take years to sell on discogs but ultimately get you much much more than music magpie. You probably have a few in there worth something more than a quid if you have 800 altogether.

I would put the interesting (i.e. Higher s/h value!) ones in a couple of job lots on eBay for no more than 30% of their total value as per discogs (a reseller will buy them but it needs to be worth their while too) and then music magpie or just charity shop for the rest which given MM prices are hardly worth selling at all if you are in a hurry.

mikey74
    Free Member

I did think about charity shops but most of them are fairly obscure extreme metal bands and therefore would take up space in a shop for a long time.

I’m going to offer them around to friends, first, and put a few on several forums I know, hence the need to create a list.

I scanned one into Music Magpie and it said £1.19, which is what I based my initial estimate on.

jonba
    Free Member

Big list on here, maybe a stealth teaser ad in the chat forum.

I’d browse through and see what there was.

DVDs I’m not going to watch again go to the Charity shop. Normally come back with a few new ones.

mikey74
    Free Member

That Scanpet app mentioned above only records the barcode, I have to enter the album details manually.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Selling/listing CDs (clearing out stuff content)’ is closed to new replies.