Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • selling vinyl records
  • SaxonRider

Anyone done it recently?

Having looked at prices on eBay, it seems like it will be easier and possibly just as profitable to go straight to a shop and get a single price for the whole lot.

Opinions? Suggestions of shops to try?

ski
    Free Member

What have you got to sell Sax?

😉

SaxonRider

Almost everything U2 ever did up until Zooropa, including some interview discs and some interesting bootlegs.

Creedence Clearwater Revival; a whole bunch of embarrassing 80s stuff; a mix of classical and jazz, including John Lee Hooker, and Miles Davis (Kind of Blue).

I'd have to go through the collection to get everything down, though, as I haven't opened the vinyl chest for a very, very long time.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I worked in a second hand/collectors record store for two years. If you sell in bulk to a shop they will buy at wholesale- one third of the price they intend to sell them for.
    In the cacse of bulk non collectable records you are looking at a unit price of approx between £1 and £3 a unit.

If it is dance music it will be worthless as there is no market for second hand dance 12 inches etc unless they are "classics".

If you have the time Ebay is more profitable as you are going to the market direct and selling at retail instead. When my mate wound up his shop and spent the last three months selling all over the world via ebay instead he made a mint.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I gave up on ebay after the fees got silly. A lot of it is leaving stuff on there till someone who wants it comes along. Ebay shop or relist fees make this rather difficult.

Someone on here recommended Discogs and I have done pretty well on there. It is a bit slower than ebay but you get more for your time and money in the end. Listing is quicker and easier, and there is no fees until you actually sell something. And the final value fees are still cheaper than ebay. You can see what other examples of your records have gone for and use that to set your price 'or best offer'.

ski
    Free Member

interesting bootlegs

drop me a list sax 😉

Only ever sold on Ebay, U2 stuff should go well on there.

Might be worth trying to sell it as a complete collection, you might not get as much, but less hassle for you.

SaxonRider

ski, I'll compile it and send it to you sometime today or tomorrow.

peachos
    Free Member

saxon – send me the complete list as well please? i might be interested in a job lot. how much would you take for it all?

disco_stu
    Free Member

if you can sell the individually try Discogs, you can have a look at any release and see what its gone for in the past to guage whether its worth selling.

sadexpunk

think ive decided to sell all my punk vinyl too :-/

whenever i mention it im advised not to, but i really dont think ill play em again. so its only sentimental reasons for keeping them. so if i can do something worthwhile from money for them id feel a bit better about it 🙂

disco_stu
    Free Member

think ive decided to sell all my punk vinyl too :-/

whenever i mention it im advised not to, but i really dont think ill play em again. so its only sentimental reasons for keeping them. so if i can do something worthwhile from money for them id feel a bit better about it

A friend of mine did that and had a holiday in cuba out of it, she's not regretted it one bit.

Surfr
    Free Member

How do people post vinyl that they sell on eBay? I've got 10 or so 90s rock albums I need to get rid of and was thinking about trying the Bay but was worried about damage in the post.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Surfr – stick the record between two pieces of corrugated cardboard and tape round the edges.

Sam

Would also be interested in seeing your list Saxon – would especially like Kind of Blue if it's in good shape. Sounds like the first port of call might well be the STW classifieds!

Being more a buyer than a seller lately – would have to recommend ebay to a seller – whatever I want always seems a crazy price…

slowjo
    Free Member

A few years ago my next door neighbour (moved away ages ago) cleared out his LPs, and gave me what he couldn't give away. Most of it was dross but hidden away was a first printing (Blue Columbia label – and the right number etched into the vinyl) of Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It plays well, no scratches or pops and the sleeve is in ok condition – ok the glue has given up, gone brown and dried up but otherwise it is pretty good. I told him it might be worth a few quid but he said he didn't like it so I could have it. I haven't looked recently but it must be worth more than a fiver now.

sadexpunk

i remember when i was buying all these coloured vinyls, and seeing what they were worth then in Sounds magazine (what? my uk subs CID on orange vinyl is £8 already?? sex pistols credit card sleeve £25???)
    and then assuming that with the passing of time they must be worth a mint. log on to ebay and theyre worth **** all now 🙂

jimmy

tried selling a box load for my sister a couple of years ago – all Indie stuff from late 80's / early 90's. Got no interest at all which was good because she then decided to keep them. Only immaculate collector's items will get anything like money worth the effort you'll put in.

Milkie
    Free Member

Almost everything U2 ever did up until Zooropa, including some interview discs and some interesting bootlegs.

Hiya Saxon,

Could you send me a list/price for the bootlegs please? They could be good for remixing! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘selling vinyl records’ is closed to new replies.