Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling stuff – hints on strategy
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have sold odds and sods on the classifieds before with varying degrees of success but have yet to try and sell anything of any real value i.e. over a couple of hundred quid.

Pix etc, obviously, a given. I want to sell two complete bikes, one for about £1500 and the other about £700 to £800. The first a HT and the second a road bike.

Is it better to split them, sell them as rolling chassis and then hope to move the other parts on or what?

Keep them in one thread or run one for each?

The bikes will be pretty much as purchased with no significant mods so do you really have to list every component or just post a link to an appropriate page and add notes where the bike deviates from the manufacturer specs?

Is fleabay a realistic alternative? I have never sold anything there so there is always the fear about coming unstuck.

Does it usually hamper a sale if you ask for collection only?

Thanks in advance etc. :o)

richardthird

Bought and sold a few on ebay, this is what I do:

List as Buy It Now (remembering to account for the fees), collection only

Invite people to come and view – put your mobile no in the listing.

I do that then offer cash with discount if buying, ebay don’t like sellers ending items too often but the odd one is fine.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have had plenty of success selling complete bikes on here. I always make sure they are fully serviced and ready to ride, no-one wants a new toy they can’t use straight away. A quick run down of the components always helps alongside clear pictures showing the condition of them. Personally I avoid copy and paste from or linking to manufacturers websites regarding spec.

If I was selling two bikes I would run two threads, staying within STW’s rules on adverts per page / 24 hours obviously.

Collection only does limit your audience and you will have to adjust your expectations on price accordingly.

iainc

you could always stick a thread up on the main forum asking about it, to warm up possible buyers before using the classifieds 🙂 like this one 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

People wouldn’t be that devious Shirley?

slowjo
    Free Member

LOL

Actually, it was a genuine question but I take your point, it does seem that I was being cheeky. So, duly chastened I will check back on older posts in future. The absence of any detailed info regarding items for sale doesn’t actually constitute a warm up though does it? Does it?

Anyway, Mea culpa, mea culpa etc 😳

mrhoppy

At £1500 it’d need to be a seriously good hardtail bearing in mind what that money buys you from canyon etc. and the sales are still on.

Splitting may be a better way to get your money.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I would sell on Pinkbike which has an apparently large audience and a sales board that is actually easy to use.

I’ve also used ride.io (formerly southerndownhill)before but that just has tumbleweed blowing across it now.

ebay as a last resort, although there are work arounds (see above).

increasingly people just sell bikes now on inappropriate facebook pages (gisburn trailbuilders eg?) which is my Achilles pet peeve

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Putting a little effort into making sure things are as clean and shiny as possible, lots of photos and accurate descriptions go along way. Just linking another advert or to the page with the specs strikes me a lazy and I’ll wonder how much you really know about the bike or if you really looked after it.

I’ve just sold all my bikes bar one and they all went in a week. I probably could of got more if I’d split them up but a) didn’t want left over bits hanging about and b) discounted a fair bit on what they might actually have sold for on ebay etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling stuff – hints on strategy’ is closed to new replies.