Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Selling something to a new user.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have my frame up for sale and have received an offer from a totally new user. Its their first post.

I have no reason not to trust this person, we were all new at one point but the add is about 2 weeks old and it just doesn’t feel right.

What would you do?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Get them to collect it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ask for a phone number and call them, then address for postage

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Sell them the frame, wait until they pay before posting it??

jam-bo

Cash on collection or confirmed bank transfer before shipping.

wwaswas

Paypal Gift 🙂

jekkyl

yeah bit obvious, if they pay then you send, would be the same with an long time user shirley?

wwaswas

I think the OP’s concern is that some sort of chargeback might subsequently occur.

jam-bo

Bank transfers aren’t reversible.

nbt

I understand they are if the transfer comes from an account where the funds are from a bounced / forged cheque, for instance

I_Ache
    Free Member

My first thought was paypal gift to be honest.

I am worried that some sort of chargeback might occur.

An established user has some history so you can do a bit of research on them and gauge what sort of person they may be.

I’m not trying to talk myself into less money but I also found it odd that I said I would accept offers but then he didn’t make one. He also didn’t ask for any more information about the frame. Like I said, something just didn’t feel right.

unklehomered
    Free Member

This is why anything more than low 3 figures I always prefer to meet the buyer, regardless. Encourage them to look the item over, highlight any dings/scratches etc. They get the chance to back out, you get cash and the confidence of less hassle.

Its possible he just really wants it and money isn’t an issue, I’ve skipped a drawn out offer counter offer phase before when I just want it and the price is fair.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Surely if they just pay by paypal (not gift!) and you keep a record of posting it then nothing can possibly go wrong?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I joined here simply to buy something not that that inofrmation particularly helps

PS as he is near Manchester I could meet him get the money and send it to you or Hora or Binners or NBT or Pook or some other

Would that help?

plyphon
    Free Member

Surely if they just pay by paypal (not gift!) and you keep a record of posting it then nothing can possibly go wrong?

Not if you follow all of PayPals regulations and requirements, no.

But it is still a massive ballache as PayPal sides with the buyer initially. Ringfencing the money. It is then down to the seller to prove he has sold the goods and posted etc.

It’s such a ballache to prove that most sellers give up and write off the cost – which is how the scammers make most of their money – people just giving in.

At the end of the day you have to weight up how much you want the money VS associated risk.

There’s absolutly nothing wrong with replying to the potential buyer saying

“Unfortunately you are a new user and I am not willing to sell to users with no posting history – try to build up some activity on the forums and engage with the community before using the classifieds.”

In fact quite a few services and forums I use already force such a system where a user has to have X amount of activity/rating before they can post in some sections.

But then again, if you have 3 very wide eyed hungry children to feed then maybe its worth the risk – you have to decide yourself how much the money means to you and how quickly you need it.

Scapegoat

I hate to say it but he’s set his bar pretty low if he’s trying to scam you out of a dirty £200 Spesh. : ? Why not tell him you’re wary and ask him to do what he can to reassure you? An eBay account link, or a photo of him holding a mackerel or something? Or as suggested above, get one of the Manc crowd to meet him for a cash transaction?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Its not dirty now you cheeky git.

I think I’m going to sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

tinybits
    Free Member

Remember that STW comes up pretty high on the google search, so if that’s what you wanted the odds are you’ll end up here.
    If I wanted to buy something, I’d not hesitate to speak to the person, and this way you could probably tell. Not the done thing in the text age mind you!

cookeaa

maybe look to see if the same/similar username pops up on other MTBing sites and see what sort of feedback/posting he/she normally gets up to… bit of interweb stalking never did anyone any harm…

jekkyl

I_Ache – Member
    Its not dirty now you cheeky git.

I think I’m going to sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

The frame? Be a bit uncomfortable wouldn’t you think.

plyphon
    Free Member

he’s set his bar pretty low if he’s trying to scam you out of a dirty £200 Spesh

Not at all – this is usually the amount of cash to do a charge back scam on, not too much so that the victim will chase forever, and not so little to be pointless. As I said, most people give up after they realise the mammoth task of following PayPal’s procedures and just give up!

nealglover
    Free Member

Remember that STW comes up pretty high on the google search

It does if you are a regular visitor to STW.

Mumsnet would comes up pretty high if you are a regular visitor on there.

6pot
    Free Member

Not trying to scam him just really want the frame 😥

cakefacesmallblock

Does anyone with some long-term good standing on here know them ?

I’ve lost count of how many folk I’ve suggested try on here for bike and banter. All decent folk.

There are some. One of those mates bought a bike from a forumite, after I’d suggested it. That was his first post.

steel4real
    Free Member

…anyway, I hope mr ball ache gives the fella a healthy discount after putting him through all this 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the guy now. Go on sell it him 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

Cash on collection.. I trust my wife, everyone else pays cash!

takisawa2

Ask him for a phone number & give him a bell.
    If your still worried get him to pay by Postal Order.

tinybits
    Free Member

He’s a witch, Burn him!

Pitchforks ready!

robhughes
    Free Member

You can’t burn him.You haven’t seen if he weighs the same as a duck yet.. 😀

Scapegoat

Oh alright then, he’s a potential sale, phone him?

chakaping
    Free Member

My first use of STW forum was buying a sus fork from a 2-week-old advert at full asking price.

I was a newbie but the price was fair so I didn;t haggle.

Remember, not everyone’s as stingy as the crowd on here.

ste_t
    Free Member

Did everyone else miss that post from Mr 6pot ^^^^^ the potential buyer?!

Get a bank transfer if he’s willing, no worries about chargebacks then.

wwaswas

the fact 6pot found this thread probably means they’re not your average western union type scammer? I’d probably trust them.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Get a bank transfer if he’s willing, no worries about chargebacks then.

stevied
    Free Member

I bought some forks off PB from a new user but was wary. I just asked him for some more info on himself so he sent me links to his eBay account/facebook/phone number/address and all matched up fine.
    If you’re not sure, just ask. Anyone with nothing to hide will happily hand over more info…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I sold something to someone who sent me an email, no account registered. Just asked for a work email, work address, and said i wanted paying to my bank. no problem at all

not that i use the classifieds here anymore

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Selling something to a new user.’ is closed to new replies.