Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Selling shares (paper certs)
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Taking on power of attorney for my dad and he has a bunch of shares from back in the 80s/90s in his name and his/my + his/my sisters names. probably 35k current market value across maybe 8-10 companies (mostly utilities)
    Whats the best way to offload these and put cash in the bank?
    I’d mostly be dealing with this at arms length as he is UK based, I’m not.
    appreciation in advance

thecaptain
    Free Member

Perhaps your best bet is to dematerialise the certs first into one of the cheaper online dealers. Doing this remotely may be slightly awkward as a lot of financial legislation basically restricts services by residency. I’m about to do the same for a relative but I’m in the UK.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I do have to make a trip to the UK to deal with much more of his financial “stuff”… but prefer to do as much remotely as I can to get ahead of the game.
    Cheap online dealers? Like X-O and AJ bell?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well I use first direct cos I already banked with them. Basically selling paper shares is a bit of a ball ache and you’ll get a better deal if you can dematerialise first (which should be basically free). Not sure how jointly held shares will work, ive only handled single ownership. If you can use your dad’s address (or similar) as your own it might help things go more smoothly.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Hargreaves Lansdowne will convert your paper shares to an online holding for free. Others probably do too. To liquidise them through the registrar costs!
    The first option may not be available if they’re held solely in your late father’s name.
    Whatever, send them Special Delivery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Selling shares (paper certs)’ is closed to new replies.