Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Selling property fast
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I won’t bore with details but essentially due to a job offer which is a dream come true sort of opportunity, my wife and I need to relocate. The plan is to selll our house, which we only bought last summer, and go rent a place for the short term near to where my new job is.

Obviously I want to sell quickly and as my wife is about 5 weeks away from her due date for our first baby I want to keep things as simple as possible. So i’ve just started looking into these – http://homesboughtfast.co.uk

Seems all quite legitimate but just not sure how they are able to anything different to any other estate agents – the cash buy thing for the reduced value they offer is straight forward enough but the other option of 28 day sale for market value… I’m tempted but not entirely convinced.

steveoath
    Free Member

Could you part exchange for a new build near your new job?

andyl
    Free Member

Are you in an area with a good rental market? Rent yours out while it’s up for sale. 6 month assured tenancy gives buyers and any chain time to sort themselves out while you rent and look for somewhere to buy.

wwaswas

If you’re going to rent when you move them just rent your current house out?

I’ve read lots of stories of those type of companies dropping their offers when you’re a long way down the line and don’t want to back out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“market value” is whatever anyone’s prepared to pay for it surely? Round here (south east) stuff seems to be on the market well under 28 days anyway, and I’m guessing ‘Sold’ doesn’t mean money in the bank, just subject to contract?

Who on earth sells their house for “80% market value”? Even if the bailiffs are at your door surely there’s better options than that?

rickmeister

Exactly what wwawas said. We looked into it, found a company that would do a cash deal for 25k under market value and complete in less than 3 weeks. So if your willing to take the hit…

Also the circumstances wwawas talked about isnt uncommon.

Is keeping and renting not an option, or borrowing against it with this set against the rental, but obviously you get a lump sum…

wallop

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is….

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Renting isn’t really an option for us. It’s an old property and frankly we just want to cut our losses. We’re not particularly happy with where we have bought and have started to regret it. The job opportunity has been a bit of a saving grace, so we just want to get it sold and move on.

We are prepared to take a bit of a hit if thats what it takes.

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like you are decided. That ‘hit’ pays for a lot of baby stuff (and maybe a sneaky new bike so you don’t have to waste time fixing your old one) though.

Ps I rent out a 1 bed flat in a georgian building in town which pays for me to rent a 1600’s somerset farmhouse so don’t see why old has anything to do with not renting it.

siwhite
    Free Member

Rent your place out, and rent a new place near the new job. Get a loan to cover any shortfall if you’ve not got any savings. You can then sell your place at your leisure for full value, and buy somewhere with the proceeds after you’ve had 6 months to suss out the new area.

Madness to sell anything for £25k less than it’s worth, even if it costs you a bit of work. Throw some money at the problem short term, and gain £25k for your efforts. Even if you can’t face the hassle of renting your current place out, 6 months rent in the new place is what – £10k at very most? You are still £15k up at the end of the year.

nickjb
    Free Member

Taking a £25k hit, if that’s the sort of figure, is a big chunk of salary. If it is priced well it’ll sell in a couple of weeks then take another 2-3 months to complete. Can’t see the issue if you are renting where you relocate too.

brooess
    Free Member

Surely dropping the price is your best strategy?

Rich_s

Estate agents usually know the builders and developers in their area. You could just get it valued (by 2-3 of them) then once you have values go and speak to the manager/valuer and tell then you need to sell rapidly and will discount for the speed. Might also be worth getting then to drop their commission rate too. Might save 10-15k or so?

Don’t get me wrong, EA’s are scumbags and you need to be careful, but it’s a means to an end.

gearfreak
    Free Member

How about selling at auction? Set a reserve of what that company has offered, 30 days to complete after the auction.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Selling fast in a location which you regret buying sounds like a way to lose a lot more than you thought. There is nothing to stop you trying to sell but I would be very disciplined in terms of what price you will accept.

Renting out current place and renting elsewhere would be the normal advice.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I guess just getting it valued and stating that we want to sell quickly rather than maximise any potential profit on the place is probably the way to go. As I said, I don’t mind taking a hit but i certainly would struggle with offering it at 80% of its market value.

I could look at a sealed bids option or auction style too I suppose.

v666ern
    Free Member

I do a lot of work with this company, really helpful

http://www.quickmoveproperties.co.uk

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Selling property fast’ is closed to new replies.