Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Selling photos – web service?
  • DrJ

I’m wondering if there is a site where you can upload an image file, and then if someone wants a copy on their wall, they order it and you get a %age. Sort of like Blurb but for single photos, not books? I’m not aiming to make a mint from it, but it could be useful sometimes.

Thanks for any ideas!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The Image Bank was one.

They used to expect you to upload hundreds of images a month though to make it worth their while marketing them.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Zenfolio do it. Think photobox and smugmug too. You’ll be able to set your own prices etc- but publicising your shots will be up to you.

Something like 500px might offer you a better ‘shop window’ but will likely charge a lot more

Trimix
    Free Member

Check out Alamy.com

They sell images and give you 50%.

Pretty much no restriction on what you upload.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Alamy is very good but it’s a stock library. If you want to licence your images for editorial or advertising use that’s probably your best bet… not the same as selling prints for people’s walls though

Trimix
    Free Member

True, but its free to use.

You can also try Photocrowd.com they sell their pictures as prints.

Run by someone who ride bikes actually.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I do not think you want a stock library, I think you want either your own site – something like Zenfolio if its for your immediate friends and contacts to order or if you want the general public try Fine Art America which trades in the UK too. People can select images from there and put them on all sorts of products.

https://fineartamerica.com

You can submit your images to them
    http://fineartamerica.com/sell-art-online.html

Not done it myself but know of someone who has been a happy seller.

There is another company, I will try to find their name as I cannot remember it off hand. For photography/image related help try
    https://www.talkphotography.co.uk
    a free and very popular uk forum.
    You have to join (free) to see the business section.

DrJ

Thanks for the tips. What I want is to sell prints, not the image itself (digital) and I don’t expect to sell more than one or two, so probably a free service like Photocrowd – that I’d never heard of before – will work best. I’ll check out all the ideas!

user-removed
    Free Member

Selling prints these days is a mugs’ game. Clients want the digital images. No-one realises that the printed image is future-proof. It won’t corrupt, it won’t disappear when the cloud provider goes down and we all know that DVDs fail eventually.

When my grandad died at the ripe old age of 98, I was asked to scan all his photos. I didn’t- just stuck them on the walls.

sandwicheater

Please ignore, book marking as need some photos for my office.

stumpy01

DrJ – Member

Thanks for the tips. What I want is to sell prints, not the image itself (digital) and I don’t expect to sell more than one or two, so probably a free service like Photocrowd – that I’d never heard of before – will work best. I’ll check out all the ideas!

Not free, but have a look at Photium if you want to create your own site for selling pics.

I set up a website through it for a couple of years, just as a bit of a self-project to be honest.
    The bloke who runs it (Will, I think) is excellent at getting back to you with support queries.
    Definitely worth fiddling about with the 30day trial.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

http://www.photo4me.com

I believe its a UK company.

Not a stock library, they print on products etc.

I know a pro photog who uses them and found them good.

beanum

I get a lot of mailshots from PhotoShelter as I considered the same thing a while ago.
    It’s not cheap enough to give it a punt without being serious though…

PhotoShelter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Selling photos – web service?’ is closed to new replies.