Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Selling photos online
  • bikerdan
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of selling photos online. I have taken quite a few over the years and was wondering if it was worth trying to sell images online to make a bit of money. Not expecting to make much but some extra for bike bits wouldn’t go amiss.

spacemonkey

Photos of what? No harm in checking out stock image libraries, e.g iStock et al. Here are some for starters.

Bear in mind there is often a price for one-off use vs “multiples” (e.g mass distribution, reproduction etc).

footflaps

£700 / photo / use on Getty images 😉

If you can get them to accept you………

Best I’ve had is a few hundred a photo from people spotting them on Flickr…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

Flickr is surprisingly good. I’ve also done quite well out of Alamy. Micro stock is a waste of time unless you’ve got thousands of images.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Do people upload smaller/lower quality images to Flicker and/or watermark them and then release the full image?

davidjones15
    Free Member

You’ll have to decide on this yourself. Lower quality images aren’t going to show your work off to its best and no-one likes a watermark.
    I was lucky that I could display printed work for people to see the quality and they could either buy printed or download with confidence. As most were repeat sales the customer knew that there was a low risk. The number of downloaded copies I see on Facebook or in blogs or even press is quite flattering though. Just have a look on some of the threads here to see how many pictures are used without permission.
    I would probably make a decision on what you see as an acceptable level of theft and go with that as there is no correct answer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Selling photos online’ is closed to new replies.