Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Selling my Yeti ASX and thinking on a Giant Reign X 2010
  • ac505
    Free Member

Now that I've broken my back once, I've decided that I'm not going to ride the big stuff any more so I'm thinking on selling my ASX and buying something around 6" travel but lighter. I'm keen to keep something with a relatively slack head angle so I still have a feel similar to the Yeti. THe new Giant Reign X looks pretty nice, has anybody used on in anger having stepped down from a "bigger bike". I recently had a shot on afriends Trek Remedy (2008 or 2009 I can't remember) although the bike was nive the head angle felt just too sharp for me and the bike was much less planted than my Yeti on anything fast and technical

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Reign X isn't a step down as you so put it, far from it… If anything, it's a more capable machine at pretty much everything!

Have a mate with an ASX and my 2007 Reign X (2010 is pretty much same geometry, just lighter frame) is longer, slacker, more stable, a much better descender. It's also a better climber, lighter, pedals better and generally just a better bike IMO.

If you want a bike to take a step down from the ASX, the Reign X is probably not the bike for you… If anything it will make you wanna ride harder and faster! Maybe try a Trance X (5" of travel) or a conventional Reign (6") for your needs perhaps. Though they'll probably feel more like a Remedy with a slightly sharper head angle.

zangolin
    Free Member

My Trailer Trash Reign X 2010 – built more for going downhill with the odd bit of uphill stuff.
    I haven't stepped down from something bigger though.

mboy
    Free Member

ARGH the Golden Beast! It's all over MTBR, now STW too! 😉

Just saw your reply on MTBR Zangolin. Fair play, will keep my eye out for you down the FOD when I'm down there next…

zangolin
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    Just saw your reply on MTBR Zangolin. Fair play, will keep my eye out for you down the FOD when I'm down there next…

how will you know it's me? 😉

mboy
    Free Member

how will you know it's me?

Pretty simple really, I'm assuming you look like this…

"I Like Gooooooooooold!" 😉

zangolin
    Free Member

Thats looks just like my Grandad.
    Here's a photo of me down at the beach – taken last summer.

backhander
    Free Member

longer, slacker, more stable, a much better descender. It's also a better climber, lighter, pedals better and generally just a better bike

You sure that's not just a load of bias?

mboy
    Free Member

backhander

Get your tape measure out… You'll see the geometry of the Reign X is slacker, longer and lower etc… Can't argue with that! The wheelbase on my Medium Reign X is approx 3 inches longer than the wheelbase on my mates Medium ASX, and the head angle is definitely slacker.

The ASX is quite tall and short, the Reign X quite long and low… DH bikes are designed long and low for a purpose (more stability at speed generally) which is why they descend better than shorter and taller bikes.

And then the longer back end, and the Maestro suspension system (versus single pivot) go a long way towards making it pedal and climb uphills better. Though of course it is still a heavy long travel bike, so all things are relative!

I'm also noticing how you missed off the "IMO" that I had added to that sentence… There's always gonna be some bias naturally. Likewise there's going to be tonnes of people out there that could ride the wheels off an ASX compared to me being a bit tame/lame on my Reign X. Think if you rode both back to back though, you'd probably agree with me.

mboy
    Free Member

Zangolin, that photo of you on the beach is genius! I don't know whether to say "Calm down, Calm down" or ask you for a Large Doner with extra chilli sauce! 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

Favourite CD, right?

chakaping
    Free Member

New MBUK has a review of the Reign X, if that helps?

They gave it 7 out of 10, partly due to some poor spec for the high price – but seemed to like it best out of their test group for going downhill.

BenjaminJDC
    Free Member

I love my Reign X 2010

ac505
    Free Member

bloomin 'eck, I can't spell late at night….. thanks for all the info, I've seen a nice 3yr 0% deal on the Giant which would be useful. The '09 Remedy also looks nice from a kit perspective, I may have another go on this as I'm sure I could get use to it's more lively nature compared to the Yeti. I see Je James are selling the 09's off cheap but won't ship them, has anybody seen anywhere that are selling these off at a similar price? Cheers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Paul's Cycles used to do a lot of cheap Giants, but do you want the '09? It has the old heavier frame.

br
    Free Member

Trek don't allow online shipping, without some kind of 'sizing' check…

Our LBS had a top-spec Remedy in recently, really impressive and not heavy at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh, he meant Treks – I didn't read that properly.

If it's the bike that you want then make the trip to Sheffield (or wherever) and pick it up in person, then take it for a ride in the Peak District.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Selling my Yeti ASX and thinking on a Giant Reign X 2010’ is closed to new replies.