Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Selling Motorbike – Taking Paypal payment secure?
  • coppice
    Free Member

I know something similar was mentioned recently but I don’t have time to search. I’ve got my motorbike for sale on gumtree and someone has just asked if they can view today so I need to get back to them a.s.a.p.

He wants to pay via paypal so he can put it on his credit card, is this secure or is there a better way? The bikes up for £1200

weeksy

I’ve both bought and sold motorbikes using PP, no issues.

Max was £6000.

jeffl

He can open up a dispute on PayPal and claim the goods are not as sold. Couldn’t do that with cash. Can always get them to sign a receipt on collection to mitigate the risk.

I believe normal process for big ticket items you have to collect is deposit via PayPal outstanding balance with cash when they pick it up.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Paypal is fine, there are claw-back issues, but I think they have to prove they’ve returned it for that.

Most important thing with PP, don’t trust any notifications or e-mails, wait until you see the money in your account that you’ve accessed independently of any links from e-mails AND that you can withdraw it to your bank account, none of this ‘clears in 21 days’ shit or bogus e-mails claiming a payment has been made etc.

Cougar

Yeah. The gotcha is that they have proof of payment but not of delivery (cos you’re not posting it), so theoretically they could go “undelivered” and try to reverse the payment.

I’d be wanting photo ID and some sort of receipt I reckon.

WTF
    Free Member

Scam.
    Cash/transfer or nothing.

coppice
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

What about if he sends it as gift? does he have any come back then? Can I tell how its been sent?

coppice
    Free Member

Well i’m not sure if i’ve just been scammed or not.

The whole idea behind paypal was to put it on 0% through his credit card, but he made a mistake and put it through his current account (which i think’s put him in his overdraft). The money went into my paypal account and i’ve withdrawn it. He’s paid me £40 cash to cover the fees to. He rang paypal on my driveway, i think they were suggesting that I refund him and re-transfer it but paypal refunds are through an e-cheque which take ages to process. He told them that I wouldn’t go for that, without me even prompting him. Paypal then suggested that he goes to his bank tomorrow to cancel the direct debit from his current account to paypal and then paypal will seek funds from his credit card.

He wants to collect the bike in around 2 weeks. All he has to show for it is the green new keepers slip.

The money is already in my bank account, but i’m still a bit concerned about chargebacks. He transferred the money as goods, so paypal says I need to despatch the bike. Since he didn’t take the bike we didn’t exchange receipts.

Whats peoples thoughts? Am I at risk?

nickdavies

It’s the classic PayPal scam. Buyer pays, lets you think your ok then collects later. Then issues not received claim. PayPal will find in buyers favour. That’s the general jist. If you can’t post it Royal Mail signed for don’t do it.

Obviously, he may be genuine but I’d not touch it with a barge pole unless I knew them. Even if you think he sounds legit, con men always do. Would you pay for a bike and leave it with someone you don’t know if you thought they had your cash and bike?

Refund him, tell him to sort the money his end and pay cash. Afaik, if you send money to a seller in that way most banks will treat it as a cash advance anyway so he’s no worse off withdrawing from the bank on the credit card. If you feel bad, discount him the cost withdrawing cash on a cc. Hope it works out for you!

Cougar

Are you reading this thread, or just shouting into the void and ignoring advice?

If the latter, can I buy your bike?

“he made a mistake”

srsly?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Selling Motorbike – Taking Paypal payment secure?’ is closed to new replies.