Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Selling Linn Amp on Ebay- Is it safe to ship to Hong Kong?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

I am currently selling a rather nice old Linn Majik Amp on Ebay.

Someone has asked for a quote for delivery to Hong Kong.

If I insist on a Pay Pal transaction, what possible scams could he try and pull?

Should I just stick to the UK?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t ship outside the UK. Partly a trust issue and partly the potential for damage on such a long journey. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s insured to it’s full value.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

And given Hong Kong has a long history of being the font of cheap/tax free hi-fi and Linn have plenty of dealers out there – why would someone look to find cheaper s/h Linn kit in the UK and take that risk.

Me, I’d not chance it. Quid says the next email asks if you take Western Union?

RichPenny
    Free Member

As above really. If you wanted a Linn Magik, would you be looking on ebay.hk? Neither would I… Have you considered one of the UK forums like Pink Fish Media for selling? What about the Linn forum, a 2nd hand section on there?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I always list items for internatinal shipping because it increases the number of people bidding on the item. That increases the chance of the maxium bid being reached by UK bidders, which raises your final sale price.

I would say that international bidders win my auctions maybe 30% of the time as ultimately, the cost for interntional shipping lowers overseas bidders maximum bid and usually a UK bidder wins.

That said, I would still happily ship to HK. Use a fully trackable service like UPS, DHL or Fed Ex. You can’t get a fully trackable servce from the post office. International Signed For only tracks to the point it leaves the country and then gets you a signature for delivery. This isn’t a good enough solution for sending to HK.

Ultimately the cost for fully insured (note all courier companies will add this insurance as extra, likely for your amp this will be about £100) will be prohibitive but it will still increase bidding on the item and you will benefit.

Re.the suggestion of Pink Fish, you need to be a long term user to list items for sale on that site; if you’ve not posted more than 50 times you can’t list items for sale.

Ebay is the best bet really. I sold £13k worth of second hand kit via here last month and got 60% of the new value for it all (all over 6 years old).

lodious
    Free Member

I can’t see why anybody would be arsed to ship a Majik to hong kong, so on that basis, I would probably avoid doing it. That said, I flogged a load of Linn gear about 5 years ago, and quite a lot of it went abroad. It all worked out OK, and certanly at that time, the export market was strong for british hifi.

RustySpanner

How much do you want for it?

allthegear
    Free Member

If it weighs anything like my Linn LK140, postage to HK is going to be HUGE!!

Rachel

br
    Free Member

Only thing that I’ve sold which someone from abroad won was a pair of Shimano 203 rotors. He paid (Paypal) covering the large postage costs, and used a valid (ie his name) email.

Its still a risk though.

yunki
    Free Member

this thread has depressed me..

I have a pair of lovely Italian loudspeakers upstairs that are way way out of my price range.. completely out of my league, and I’ve nothing to power them.. 😐

PePPeR

I’ve posted loads of camera gear to Hong Kong, and not had any issues. Ok not as heavy but still valuable kit like Rollei and leica gear. I always use parcel2go and get a proper tracked and insured delivery. Parcel2go is a good place to work out the postage costs of your item.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If it weighs anything like my Linn LK140, postage to HK is going to be HUGE!!

So you like music and hifi and you ride mountain bikes, and a Nicolai at that.

You’re quite a catch aren’t you Rachel. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Selling Linn Amp on Ebay- Is it safe to ship to Hong Kong?’ is closed to new replies.