• This topic has 41 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Selling gold…result!
  • ton

MrsT, had a bit of old gold at the bottom of a jewel box.
    all knotted up and snapped, 1 broke ring and a couple of chains.
    took it to a spot in town, 34 grams.
    £410

bruneep

did you shop around?

maccruiskeen

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

went to 5 place all round the market area.
    £255 was the lowest, the others were all around £400.

to be honest i would have slung the stuff away.

GrahamS

to be honest i would have slung the stuff away.

😯 but that kind of stuff is worth its weight in gold…

I_did_dab
    Free Member

according to money week we should all be buying gold – it’s recession proof apparently…
    Gold price forecast:

djglover
    Free Member

Assuming its 9CT, then the first link on google would have given £442

scuzz
    Free Member

Gold is recession proof eh?

The Gold Reserve Act

In early 1933, in order to fight severe deflation Congress and President Roosevelt implemented a series of Acts of Congress and Executive Orders which suspended the gold standard except for foreign exchange, revoked gold as universal legal tender for debts, and banned private ownership of significant amounts of gold coin.
    😉

totalshell

an ounce of 9ct gold today is £1,030 so your 34g would be worth circa £1,120 to the dealer.. who did well out of it?

deadslow

Just love to ability of STW to instantly crush someone. At least you have 410 in your mitts ton.

ton

the stuff as been laid in the drawer for 10yrs or more, i would have thrown it out next time i decorated.

just bought some new carbon bars, which are far more usefull….. 8)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

who did well out of it?

All concerned?

To whit: ton, dealer and planet earth.

ton

yeah, and i might even be able to afford real meat for supper too…… 😆

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

How much did you tell the missus you got for it that is the question

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

just bought some new carbon bars, which are far more usefull…..

Does that mean what I think it means Ton?
    Biking soon-ish?

Cougar

an ounce of 9ct gold today is £1,030 so your 34g would be worth circa £1,120 to the dealer.. who did well out of it?

How would one go about getting a better deal, then?

damo2576
    Free Member

Hmm. Just found 23g in kitchen drawer

mamadirt
    Free Member

Time for a new bike then Ton? 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the stuff as been laid in the drawer for 10yrs or more, i would have thrown it out next time i decorated.

Apparently Gordon Brown said something along those lines. Only he got castigated for allegedly not getting the best price.

IanMunro
    Free Member

That gold forecast chart is great 😀
    I went had a look at what they were predicting last year.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20110519065332/http://forecasts.org/gold.htm

ton

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Does that mean what I think it means Ton?
    Biking soon-ish?

well, it worked for now mate……..so yes!!!
    cant wait as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent news Ton!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Apparently Gordon Brown said something along those lines. Only he got castigated for allegedly not getting the best price wide enough bars.

irc

– it’s recession proof apparently…

On the other hand if you had bought gold in 1980 you would have seen your investment fall in value for the next 20 years.

The economic genius Gordon Brown managed to sell vast amounts of the UK’s gold from 1999-2002 when prices were at a 20 year low and just before they rocketed up increasing in value 6 times over.

http://goldprice.org/gold-price-history.html#36_year_gold_price

cheburashka
    Free Member

You might find that’s a bit optimistic. 24 carat fine gold bullion currently sits at 1091/troy oz, £400 for an oz of 9 carat is a good deal…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The economic genius Gordon Brown managed to sell vast amounts of the UK’s gold from 1999-2002 when prices were at a 20 year low and just before they rocketed up increasing in value 6 times over.

And apparently the Swiss, who are suppose to know about this sort of thing, sold even more of their gold reserve around that time. No point crying over spilt milk eh ?

mefty
    Free Member

The criticism was more that he telegraphed the sale so the market price was depressed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I suppose that in hindsight going to 5 different places all round the market area did broadcast his intentions, but ton seems happy enough with the result.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are dozens of other reasons why Gordon Brown was utterly dismal than simply the flogging off of gold.

But well done to the OP for winding up £410 better off today than he thought he would!

duckman

ernie_lynch – Member
    And apparently the Swiss, who are suppose to know about this sort of thing, sold even more of their gold unclaimed gold they had lying round since 1945 reserve around that time. No point crying over spilt milk eh ?

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

FTFY

jota180
    Free Member

Well done ton – £400 in you pocket rather than gathering dust in a drawer can’t be bad

The economic genius Gordon Brown managed to sell vast amounts of the UK’s gold from 1999-2002 when prices were at a 20 year low and just before they rocketed up increasing in value 6 times over

in other very old financial news …
    Wednesday 16th Sept 1992
    The chancellor of the Exchequer, Norman Lamont and his Special Advisor David Cameron cost the UK billions in their ever more desperate and comical attempts to keep the UK in the ERM
    UK interest rates ended the day a full 2% up

no idea what a 2% rise in interest rates would do people today, but I suspect there’d be some severe hardship for familes
    Govs make mistakes every day that cost us money – we tend not to hold it against them for some reason and even make some of the architects of it Prime Minister

avdave2

ernie_lynch – Member
    And apparently the Swiss, who are suppose to know about this sort of thing, sold even more of their gold unclaimed gold they had lying round since 1945 [s]reserve around that time[/s]. No point crying over spilt milk blood eh ?

a further small adjustment required

boxelder

The gold Brown sold – was it stuff stolen during the days of empire?

boxelder

Echo

matt_outandabout

pffft, some of us have our own resources on the doorstep…
    http://www.tyndrum.org.uk/goldmining/

boxelder

I used to teach with a bloke who retired early on the strength of his gold panning in the hills around Moffatt.
    p.s. nice one Ton

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got half a sovereign (dated 1900) and a krugerrand knocking about in a box in the attic somewhere. I’ve had them for many years, never really seen the point of them, would now be a good time to flog them?

ton

i suppose in my starting this post, i was saying, if you have some old unused broken gold lying about, then sell it now, cos it is gonna get you a good price.
    and why keep some old tat you aint never gonna use……….. 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is this the same Gordon Brown who sold 3G licenses for about £17bn more than expected?

Cougar

I’ve got half a sovereign (dated 1900) and a krugerrand knocking about in a box in the attic somewhere. I’ve had them for many years, never really seen the point of them, would now be a good time to flog them?

Someone on telly sold a couple of Krugerrands at auction the other day, went for four figures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Selling gold…result!’ is closed to new replies.