• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wl.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Selling bikes – what's the rule of thumb for pricing?
  • wl
    Free Member

Seen it on here before I think – a very rough formula based on RRP, age, condition and depreciation etc. Ta v much.

jam-bo

Less than you think. 😉

IHN

If in decent nick; 50% of RRP – 10% for every year old.

‘Upgrades’ rarely add anything.

lunge

I’d agree with IHN, though RRP may be better written as “what it was sold new for”.

scotroutes

IHN – Member
    If in decent nick; 50% of RRP – 10% for every year old.

You wish.

firestarter
    Free Member

Depressingly less than What you think 🙁

craig24
    Free Member

Not much at all if its 26 from what I’ve seen when trying to sell.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Depends what it is.

Desirable stuff, well over the weird STW 50% ‘rule’.

paulwf

I got far more for a 26″ bike than I was expecting when I sold it as individual parts

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I usually follow a “If it was built from parts, sell it as parts” rule too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think you can have a “rough guide” because different brands and models vary so much in popularity.

You need to look at sold prices, asking prices and adjust for your bike’s spec and condition.

Go on then, what is it?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You dont get a lot these days few people just end up keeping there bikes
    strange market place the cycle industry.

the-muffin-man

F-all – I can’t even get an offer on the bike I’ve just put up for sale. Not even a silly one!

😀

unovolo
    Free Member

You want the best price? strip it and sell it bit by bit.

I know its a pain and a bit of a faff but a lot of bike enthusiasts will look at a full build and be thinking “that wants changing, that wants changing, don’t like that bit etc” hence ending up not buying,

Whereas loads of us are always on the look out for bits and pieces.
    Just stripped a old road bike that I haven’t ridden in 18months and raised about £200 just from the chainset, derailleurs and brakes, still got the frame, forks, wheels and handlebars to go, reckon I would have been lucky to get £250 for the full bike.

minley1
    Free Member

I Don’t hold out much hope for selling my Rock Lobster with Xtr and Magyar Ronins then!

weeksy

If any of these 26s you can’t sell are xs full sussers, shout me.

lyrikal
    Free Member

Half of what you think is a bad price, especially if it’s 26 inch. I think I’ll have to give my liteville away.

Bizarre thing is it’s the reverse of this when I go to buy anything, perhaps I’m a terrible negotiator?

wl
    Free Member

If I sell (and it’s definitely only an ‘if’ right now) it’ll be a medium 2016 P7 RS with a couple of upgrades. Under a year old. It’s a mint bike, but I’m planning a new Five or Alpine and might decide to sell the hardtail and use the funds to spec up a notch or two.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna say you’ll get more than 50% of RRP for that, but then I looked up the RRP!

Sorry that’s not much help I know.

wl
    Free Member

Ha, no worries chaka. Probably compares to a Stiff Morph price/spec wise.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Selling bikes – what's the rule of thumb for pricing?’ is closed to new replies.