Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling and buying a house
  • Pieface

I’m thinking of putting our house up for sale with a view to moving. I’m unsure of what needs to be done and if there’s a better order in which to do things. I have a good deposit and will hopefully make a bit of money selling our current house but as long as we clear our debt that’s my priority.

I think i need to do the following –

1) get in touch with estate agents to find out how much they’ll charge to sell our house.
    2) get a mortgage agreed in principle.
    3) get the house on the market to sell.
    4) start looking at other houses to buy.
    5) research sollicitors / builders / electricians

Any other tips appreciated

flip
    Free Member

3) get the house on the market to sell.

And wait and wait and wait…

Price it right or it’ll take forever.

Sounds like you’ve got it covered but why builders/ electricans?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont price your house for absolute top dollar in your street despite it needing significant work compared to the house along the road that was in ready to move in …….

Bunch of clowns – still for sale as well – estate agent was rather sharp with me as well when she phoned for feedback and told her it was overpriced.

Pieface

A house a few doors down was on the market for £125 asking and it was all done out very well inside. It also benefits from an off-shot kitchen (terraced house). That sold relatively quickly

With regards to pricing should I put a low asking price that’s realisitic and try and get people looking at it?

Was thinking of researching tradesmen as I know that there are things that people may want to get fixed / prices for. Also the house I’m buying might need work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Put it up for valuation or a few k less ( like 5) you can always come down – its hard to negotiate up from a price as a seller

Folks will offer less – im buying atm and no danger ill be going over the asking price – im not starting with neagtive equity !

3 things i look at when im buying house – valuation in the home report , and advisorys and general condition

Deduct value as per each of those criteria and add on a bit for how much i want the house. None of the houses i looked at have sold yet after 3 months and one had an offer from someone else but after speaking nice to owner i found out it was rejected for being rediculously low !

lump

1) get in touch with 3 local agents to find out how much they’ll charge to sell our house. Then bounce them off each other to get the best deal. Find the price you need to sell at then price to sell.
    And look at online agents if you can run viewings yourself 😉 I can help with this if you want a quote.
    Get your own local independent EPC done not one recommended by the agent. This will save you money and the EPC will remain your property should you move agents.
    2) get the house on the market to sell
    3) start looking at other houses to buy
    4) get a mortgage agreed in principle.Shop about dont fall for your bank
    5) research solicitors. Shop about £350 is about the best I have come across.

TiRed

Be realistic, open and honest. Accept 5-7% less than the asking price, which will be lower than the one that sold.

Accept that most buyers are looking for somewhere that needs little work, so be prepared to wait a little longer for the sale.

john_drummer
    Free Member

1) get three or four valuations. then check the estate agents’ prices. Pick the one that’s in the middle
    2) clean clean clean. Then decorate. then clean again
    3) look where you want to be. see what you like. DO NOT BUY A PALACE IN A POOR AREA
    4) subtract your outstanding mortgage from (1) – this is your deposit. You can top it up if with other funds if available
    5) get mortgage offer-in-principle
    6) get solicitor as per lump’s advice
    7) put your house on the market
    8 ) wait… keep repeating (3) in case you get a suitable offer on your place and you need to move fast

or

go to a new build site & see if they do p-x… you’ll probably get less than market value for your house but it can be quick & painless. perhaps

grantway
    Free Member

I would see how much Mortgage you can get and what type mortgaged first.

Then get your place valued and put it on the market.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling and buying a house’ is closed to new replies.