Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Selling an old shock – or part ex?
  • SamB
    Free Member

I’m thinking of upgrading the shock on my Carbine from a Fox Float EVOL DPS to the new Float X2. It’s a big chunk of cash, but I much prefer the downhill stuff so am happy to put up with a weight penalty for better DH performance.

Only option I can really see is to sell the old shock on ebay (or here :D) to offset the cost of the new shock. But it made me think – surely there must be a market for TFTuned or Mojo to take old shocks as part-exs on new purchases? They could retune and sell on for a profit, and I know if I was looking at buying a second-hand shock I’d be a lot more confident buying one that came with a “just serviced by us” sticker on it.

I can only presume it wouldn’t be economical once the service is factored in, or maybe the risk of getting a properly knackered shock is too high? Maybe they could run it in a “We Buy Any Car” style where your old shock is inspected before they offer a discount??

Just my ramblings but would be interested to hear other’s thoughts! 😀

phutphutend

I agree. Buying a second had shock is a bit of a minefield. personally I’d rather buy a low end shock for £50, then get it serviced and custom tuned. Rather than a high end shock, but potentially the wrong set up or in need of a service.

Why not send your suggestion to TF or Mojo. Or maybe one of the smaller firms might be more receptive.

thepodge
    Free Member

I imagine that the cost of servicing an old shock to bring it up to new shock standard is probably not worth it for a business.

kayak23

As above. If a shock is going for 50 quid then it probably isn’t great anyway. If it’s going for 200, by the time you’ve spent the around 100 for service and courier on top, you’re getting pretty close to brand new money really.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Selling an old shock – or part ex?’ is closed to new replies.