Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Selling a sub £500 car – where to advertise?
  • tron
    Free Member

I’m selling my old car. It’s probably going to sell for less than £500, so I’m keen to avoid spending too much cash on flogging it – if I spend £50 on ads, I’ve smoked through 10% of the selling price.

In the past, I’ve done eBay auctions starting at 99p with no-reserve, which has had good results, often getting me more than I’d go for as an asking price, but then ebay take £30 + extra photo fees off you, which takes the shine off the price a little…

Are any of the paid ads worth going for (ie, autotrader / eBay?), or am I better off sticking it on Gumtree, facebook, the ad-mag etc. and getting rid of it for nowt?

Olly
    Free Member

could do it the old way, put a piece of A4 with your phone number on in the window and leave it in a lay-by for a week 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Gumtree and trade it are both free. Maybe your local cornershop/post office for a £1 or so.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

In the past, I’ve done eBay auctions starting at 99p with no-reserve, which has had good results, often getting me more than I’d go for as an asking price, but then ebay take £30 + extra photo fees off you, which takes the shine off the price a little…

If the price you are getting is more than £30 over what you thought you’d get then thats a win isn’t it? I always go for eBay selling my old motors, but I buy through classifieds – the reason being that on ebay buyers bid the price up but on other classifieds buyers haggle the price down. The difference between that can be a years free motoring.

hora
    Free Member

Youd get 150-200 scrapped. Run it into the ground then sell as spares or repair on ebay?

tron
    Free Member

It’d take a while to run it into the ground – I’ve been doing 300 miles + a week in it, and I’ve fettled pretty much everything on it to make sure it’ll get me to work reliably.

fivespot
    Free Member

ebay classified, fixed price (I think £20) and no “final value” fees.

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Tron,

Start a thread on a mtb forum about how to sell a cheap car and someone will come along and buy it…

What is it I may be interested?

Chris

rp16v
    Free Member

Throw it out on Facebook £500 cars get snapped up quick at the moment as nobody has any money

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Signs in the window with details & phone number have worked better for me than online adverts.

tron
    Free Member

Chris – It’s a Ford Ka.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I recently stuck an add for my daughters car on here and it went, with people all over wanting it. I just thought I would give it a go before ebay or the trader and it worked.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Facebook buy/sell sites. I put up a smoker fiat punto for 650 no tax and test and it got sold for 600 within 30mins and I kept getting people after it upto two weeks after!!! And its free!!! Plus you get to see whos turning up for it after a look at their profile!!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Pistonheads has classifieds that were free. But they also have a bargain basement thread for anything under a grand.

PePPeR

Do an eBay advert for a car, it’s only £15.00. It’s so worth it for the coverage you get through eBay these days.

You can have an advert with a make me an offer, so advertise it slightly higher…

porter_jamie

notice board at work

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Selling a sub £500 car – where to advertise?’ is closed to new replies.