Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Selling a registration no
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Recently, I was given a car. Turned out to be a pile of shyte, but it did for a couple of months till I got sorted out with something else. I was going to scrap it, but found out that the reg plate is worth a few hundred quids. So, I'll sell that then scrap it, but rather than ponce about advertising on car plate sites, nost of which will advertise and take a slice of the action, I'd rather just sell it (plate) now, reclaim the tax and get rid of the car.
    Anyone know if/where I can do this and maybe recommend a site. (Retention would work, but costs and I' m mean)

Any good advice would be rewarded with a beer or two out of the profits, but as I'll never meet you, I'll drink the beers myself and be thinking of you when I do.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sell the whole car on ebay. Should make as much money and much less fuss

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

car isn't really driveable – badly warped brake disk and feels completely unsafe after about 5 minutes at 50+.
    But ebay's under consideration. Thinking about selling on ebay with offer to scrap car once transcation is done

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ziggy
    Free Member

A car has to have a MOT and current tax to sell the plate on though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ziggy do you know that for a fact or are you talking BS?

ziggy
    Free Member

T'was a fact a few years ago when I tried to sell one on, just sold the car with it in the end.

Drac

Tax yes MOT no and you can also have a retention document that says the reg is yours. Not sure how you get one of those.

ziggy
    Free Member

The vehicle should be licensed

If the number plate you are selling is on a vehicle, then the vehicle should be taxed. The DVLA will still consider your application if the donor vehicle is not licensed, provided the license expired less than 12 months ago, and was declared as SORN straightaway. If you applied for a tax refund, however, then you cannot sell the number plate.

The vehicle should be MOT’d

If the number plate you are selling is on a vehicle, then the vehicle should have an MOT. The DVLA may decide to inspect your vehicle, so expect to be asked to produce it at the nearest DVLA office.

You will not need an MOT if your vehicle is not old enough to be tested.

So yes, and you won't be able to cash in the tax either.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I can't believe no one has asked what the plate is, so come on sell it properly 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

H19REF
    According to the plate selling sites, worth between £300 and £500
    So any sad weirdos out there (and this is STW after all) who want to make an offer in that region will get ownership of the plate and a FREE car
    saab 9000CS
    about 5 months tax
    mot till august
    some petrol
    a warped front brake disk
    no motor for the drivers window
    some door stops to stop the window sliding down
    a slightly weird wet dog smell
    a cd radio player
    1 door doesn't work as part of the central locking (but the other 4 do)
    huge boot which can be made huger by folding one of the rear seats down (and huger still if you caan manage to get the other seat down)
    can easily out accelerate most 2CVs away from the lights
    braking is almost as much fun as a carnival ride

tinsy
    Free Member

Right you will have to make some effort here, you can get another reg for it from DVLA and have the existing reg addded to a retention cert, this will cost you the £80 assignment fee, but your then free to ebay the car for all its worth or scrap it for something like £150 these days, then you still have the number on the certificate with the assignment fee paid at that point its possible its worth a little, try ebaying then.

If you dont do all the leg work then its debatable anyone else will be bothered either, but you stand a chance of getting £5-600 for not a lot of effort from a free car..

OH & I am not sure it sounds like a brake disc problem… If its wobbling and juddering consitently then its likely something else (more like a fecked tyre, was it laid up for sometime with a flat?), a juddering disc is usually only noticeable when braking.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I doubt anyone would give you £100 for the plate. Search on Ebay to see how many are sold and what they actually sell for.

You're better off just selling the car on Ebay and getting a couple of hundred quid for it.

It's not worth the hassle to sell the plate imo.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

tinsy – not sure, my thinking is that there is some contact between the pad and the disk, causing the disk to heat and expand causing the juddering. Stop, wait 10-15 minutes , drive off, it's ok for a while. keep the speed below 50, it's ok.

I'm sure I saw someone who would buy the plate if I transferred it. I'd do that and scrap the car. That way I think I can reclaim the tax as well. I can't be ar5ed with advertising it and waiting, and will sell for les just to get shot of it and warm my pockets up a bit.

doosuk – have a look sat sdome sites selling plates. I was astonished at what people buy.

tinsy
    Free Member

BBSB, You might be right, but it could loads of things, have you had the wheel off for a look?
    If you can get it to drive properly for the price of a 2nd hand tyre or the like it will be worth your effort when you try and flog it..
    If you cant be ar5ed its worth £150 scrap, and obvioulsy get your tax back. Or just try your luck on ebay as a number plate with a car attached, though I would think your chances are much better with doing the minimal legwork and getting the plate on a retention, as you can post it nationwide rather than hoping someone local wants it.

alfabus
    Free Member

I bought a car in July… the seller somehow fluffed transferring their personal plate, so I ended up with it. I didn't really want it so I googled some places for valuations.

The valuation came back as £3k !!! so I signed up with them to let them sell it – they sell for £3.5k and I get £3k. Unsurprisingly, no one has bought it yet ;o)

Dave

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

tinsy – v true, after all it may be a pile of sh1t, but it's a pile of sh1t with a reasonale length of MoT, and retention costs about the same as a transfer IIRC

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Retention cost £105, transfer £80, plate worthless IMO, HTH.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Selling a registration no’ is closed to new replies.