Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Selling a Private Registration Plate… Any experiences?
  • mboy
    Free Member

My Dad has a private plate that he bought a number of years ago. It’s reasonably unique, and I suspect worth a few quid (rather than one of many you can buy for £250 these days). Am waiting for a no obligation valuation back from reg transfers, but has anyone got any experience of selling fairly high value private plates on?

If so, where’s best?

Put it this way, he has no need to sell it (other than it’s on retention doing nothing), but I suspect it’s worth a lot more than he paid for it (he bought it about 20 years ago), and would pay for both improvements to his house (which he really needs to do) and contribute towards a new(er) car considering his current car is starting to cost him a lot to keep it on the road, hence I’ve suggested it’s something to investigate…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

google a similiar plates and see what they went for. I think you could sell it through one of the plate sellers that usually advertise in motor mags- but they’ll want to take a cut. Or sell it at auction.

Speeder

Just sold the one that came on my car through them and it was pretty painless. OK it’s been on their site for over 2 years and they were selling it for £750 while offering me £400 by I really don’t think it was a great plate unless all you initials happened to match up or you weren’t too fussy about how you spell RYAN.

Finally got £250 for it as someone had made an offer of, I assume given their previous markup, about £450-500.

I’m just glad to be rid of it and the bit of cash (deduct £20 odd for a new set of plates) will go towards some paintwork repairs or new bike bits – yet to decide. It was a pretty painless process though I don’t think about it too much or I think I might feel like I’ve been robbed.

If you’re dad really has something unique, say a simple number initials type number or something amusing or like a word there could be good money in it judging from the online prices. Might even be worth taking it to auction?

What format is it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am fairly sure it will be unique 🙂

A starting point for me would be to ask one of the reg transfer companies how much you would pay to buy one similar to your dad’s. Pretend you are a buyer to see what they are like and what they charging.

If you like the way they are dealing explain that you are actually selling and see what happens from there.

mboy
    Free Member

A starting point for me would be to ask one of the reg transfer companies how much you would pay to buy one similar to your dad’s. Pretend you are a buyer to see what they are like and what they charging.

Just searched for plates similar on reg transfer’s site…

Found a couple not quite as good (his spells the word exactly, but with the “E” represented by a number 3 instead) on their site, and they’re asking £15k!!! 😯

CHRIST that’s surprised me… (I was imagining it might be worth a couple of grand maybe).

He can buy me a new bloody bike too if I sell it for him! 😛

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and he bought it in the mid 90’s… It’s a classic style, prefixed by 3 letters, then a number, then last letter is S (so can go on anything from about 1978 onwards).

Freester

I bought a car with one. I was an NI plate. GIL nnnn. This was about 13-14 years ago and I registered it with one of the registration selling companies that advertised in the newspapers at the time (can’t remember which one). They valued it at 750 quid but a few months later I got a letter asking if I would sell for £500. I assume they got an offer, OR they skimmed more off the top.

Pain free process along with getting a new registration for my car which the company that sold my plate helped me with the paperwork.

PePPeR

Bloody silly money, my 6 figure pre suffix plate with silly letters like an X in it is still worth £2.5k according to reg transfers.

andyg1966

Go on then, whats the registration? Not knowing is killing me!

nealglover
    Free Member

Found a couple not quite as good (his spells the word exactly, but with the “E” represented by a number 3 instead)

This might be a silly question, but what “the word”

Can’t see any reason to be secretive about it. Might help with the info if people know what you/he are potentially selling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Selling a Private Registration Plate… Any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.