Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Selling a new contract phone – will I end up in prison with Amarous Dave?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

New phone contract, I paid a nominal fee for the phone. I’ve decided new phone is virtually the same as my old phone.

Can I sell it? Are there any issues in the real world?

I asked EE and they couldn’t have been more vague as are the T&C’s.

flaps
    Free Member

Loads do exactly that!

garage-dweller

EE if I recall correctly you don’t own it for six months it is in the terms and conditions somewhere how long it is.

If you sell it you are converting their goods. Personally I wouldn’t but I’m a stickler for stuff like that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Unless you plan to fall out with your provider big time, I’d just sell it. What are they going to do, ask for it back?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve done it before. Probably not technically supposed to, but as long as you intent to continue paying the contract, how would they know/why would they care.

garage-dweller

😀

Loads do exactly that!

But this neither makes it right or legal so not necessarily a good rule to work to. Did I mention I’m very averse to this sort of thing.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm I feel conflicted!

I really want some new wheels, bar & stem more than I want an iPhone 7.

P.S. Anyone want to buy an iPhone 7 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you get a new phone then break it in the first few weeks and have to revert to your old phone, do you have to reimburse them, or just see out your contract?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I guess my concern would actually be more for the person whom I sold the phone to. I wouldn’t want to sell it and for them to have any issues.

I’m nice like that

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who owns the phone?
    Is it yours to sell?

Simple, really.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ I don’t actually know and if the 6 month rule thing applies I don’t understand how legally ownership is transferred? I ‘read’ the T&C’s when I signed up online but still haven’t received a copy (despite asking) so can’t check. I’m also a bit confused in that I ordered it via a 3rd party (mobiles.co.uk). If I paid £25 for the handset then how do I not own it? Confused

scotroutes

. I’ve decided new phone is virtually the same as my old phone.

So sell the old one?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ could do but not worth a whole lot.

“If You take out a Price Plan via a third party who is not EE and get Equipment from that third party when You take out the Price Plan, that third party may own any Equipment provided to You by them for the first six months of the Minimum Term.”

..yet mobiles.co.uk said it was up to EE :-/

flaps
    Free Member

In a past life I worked for one of the main mobile network providers, even some of my colleagues did this! You essentially pay for the cost of the phone through the line rental and you are tied into that for x amount of years so it will need paying anyway. See it as a loan that you will pay off.
    I don’t see any problem with it at all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why didn’t you just switch to a sim only deal? 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Wife works for ee. They have an entire team of people, litereally 100s thoughout the country whos entire job it is to track down their new phones being sold through unofficial channels. Once they find you, and they will, then they are mandated to persue the culprit through the courts until justice is done.

Shes suggests that if you dont want to use you new phone and are now having second thought selling it illegally you can sent it back to her, and she’ll take it back no questions asked. Ill send you my address if required so you can pop it in a jiffy bag. Remember to include the charger…

sbob
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member

P.S. Anyone want to buy an iPhone 7

I’ll give you 36 euros and an ayurvedic massage.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this for years because they keep sending me smartphones and I prefer my old dumb phone with buttons. I’m not composing this message from prison so there you go.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this for years because they keep sending me I keep buying smartphones and even though I prefer my old dumb phone with buttons.

They don’t just send them out for free, you keep buying them.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Shes suggests that if you dont want to use you new phone and are now having second thought selling it illegally you can sent it back to her, and she’ll take it back no questions asked. Ill send you my address if required so you can pop it in a jiffy bag. Remember to include the charger…

Seems legit

DavidB
    Free Member

Hi

jambourgie
    Free Member

They don’t just send them out for free

I never said they sent them out for free.

Cougar

They don’t just send them out for free, you keep buying them.

This.

It really is a clever market. They’ve got customers convinced that phones are free and as soon as they’ve spent two years paying it off everyone goes “hey, upgrade time!”

At least with O2 they’ve separated out handset and contract prices now. When you’ve paid for your handset, that monthly fee ends, your airtime contract is unaffected. Of course, they still ring you up to see what new shinies you want, but they only did that the once.

Cougar

I never said they sent them out for free.

So… you keep buying phones you don’t want?

Why?

jambourgie
    Free Member

😀

Well, I keep buying a new contract. And I get a phone with the contract. Isn’t that what everyone does?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Well, I keep buying a new contract. And I get a phone with the contract. Isn’t that what everyone does?

Are you even an adult?

nealglover
    Free Member

Deary me. The phone companies love this sort of thinking.

Cougar

No. When your contract ends, go to a SIM only contract (or PAYG) and save yourself £30 a month.

You don’t get a phone with the contract. You’re choosing to buy a phone on contract.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well I never. 😳

Never even knew ‘sim only’ was an option. Can’t be bothered with PAYG.

mattyfez

I was going to swap to sim only on my last contract renewal as I was happy enough with my htc m8, well happy enough I didn’t want to be paying £30 plus a month.. Then I broke it just before renewal so got a P9 in a new contract.

I don’t see why you can’t sell a contract phone as the price of the phone is built into the monthly bill, it’s essentially a loan, as someone above said, and if you cancel early you’ll still get charged a cancellation fee to cover the cost of the phone, which will vary depending on how far through the term you are.

I doubt the provider is interested in the handset any more.

Potdog
    Free Member

We had a problem when EE would not unlock an iPhone that we bought for my daughter. Apparently it was an upgrade and was still effectively the property of EE as it hadn’t been fully paid for under the original owners contract.

We just stuck an EE sim in it and no problems, but just be aware that if you sell it someone could have the same problem if they want to get it unlocked.

Cougar

Oh, and,

Don’t be roped into any “you’ll have to have a new number” pish if you change your contract. This is a sales lie to boost their commission (a new number is seen as a new customer rather than a renewal so they earn more money from it).

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmm

So I’ve decided to keep the new phone as it seems some morons nice people on eBay will pay up to £200 for an old iPhone 6 with a cracked screen… how strange!

New phone, £200 towards new wheels and not sharing a bunk with amaerous Dave – the ideal compromise ?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Selling a new contract phone – will I end up in prison with Amarous Dave?’ is closed to new replies.