• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MTT.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Selling a high end bike
  • Boxsters
    Free Member

Hello, I was just wondering where the Forum thought was the best place to sell high end Mountain bikes. I am talking of very high spec £3K plus used bikes as ebay seems to deal with nothing over about £2k.
    Please no silly replies of .

Thanks

DezB
    Free Member

Classifieds? (that button up there ^ )

High end bikes are not that uncommon on Ebay btw. I bought mine on there.

crikey
    Free Member

A 3k plus used bike is worth about 1.5k plus a few bob, so eBay seems sensible.

wwaswas

how many are you selling?

classifieds probabky here.

but be prepared to break them – you'll probably get more – people who spend £3k on a bike tend to have a good idea what they want aon a frame and it may not agree with your build.

clubber
    Free Member

£500! What do you think I'm made of? Money? I was going to offer £50!

High value bikes rarely sell anywhere for what they're 'worth' – 50% is about the max.

Far better to split it up and sell the bits and you'll get a much better return. For high end stuff, people don't want a complete bike to your spec, they want what they want.

Pook

There's this scottish fella on here who does them up and sells them on. He makes them better than they were originally.
    See if you can find him.

Boxsters
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    I understand about the whole £3k bike now being worth £1500 and I have sold a few bikes on ebay on that basis but I am now building some very high end bikes but wasnt sure how to market them for instance my latest is a Scott Genius ltd – new everthing with full Sram xx groupset and high end wheels etc.
    I will probably build and the advertise here and if they dont sell I will split for parts.

crikey
    Free Member

The problem with building such high spec bikes is that you can't do it as cheaply as the big boys, so you have to charge more. Not really a goer in my opinion..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I will probably build and the advertise here and if they dont sell I will split for parts.

Sorry, me no understand. Why would you build an expensive bike then try and sell it new, and if it doesn't sell, strip it down and sell as parts?

a) A bike is always worth more as parts anyway
    b) New parts are worth more then 'fitted but unused' parts

So, assuming you're getting a deal on the parts (You must be because you'll NEVER make a profit otherwise), why not just sell them as they come rather than waste time stripping and building? Ebay is a great palce for selling new, high-end parts. If you're getting them cheap it could be a good business opportunity if you think it through! 🙂

wwaswas

Also – building to sell would be classed as 'trade' so you'd be needing to contact stw re: paying for advertising if you want to sell through here.

Boxsters
    Free Member

thanks for the info. Im certainly not trade and have only sold a couple of bikes with parts ive had but was just interested in opinions if I took it further. Probably just sell a few components as I get them if I can resist the temptation not to put them on my own steed.

MrNutt
    Free Member

😮 did he just say "steed"?!?

MTT
    Free Member

steed

BURN BAN HIM!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Selling a high end bike’ is closed to new replies.