Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Selling a car with scratches on…
  • matt_outandabout

Your advice please. Our Galaxy has a door top with a good few scratches on (kayak being dropped from roof incident and one poorly repaired from ages ago that was ‘hidden’ well under Polish when we bought it).

The car is 56 and worth maybe £6k. It has typical marks and grub associated with a family car that won’t clean up totally.

Is it worth the £500 to fix the scratches?
    Or will folk accept a ‘good car’ with history and no issues apart from cosmetic?

john_drummer
    Free Member

try the free valuations page on http://www.whatcar.com – you can alter the condition of the car & see how much it affects the value

andyl
    Free Member

Price £500 higher than you want and let yourself be haggled down?

klunky
    Free Member

Why not hide it well under some polish?!

matt_outandabout

The valuations on parkers say worth £6-£6.8k. Webuyanycar says £4.5, as is trade in offer…

I think a really good polish, price well but prepare to move £500…? Can’t be faffed with the outlay and few days without car..

iainc

are you trading it in, or selling privately. If the latter maybe worthwhile, not for the former IMO

kcal

Likelihood (or your hope) is that it’ll go to someone like-minded – i.e. kids, chucking stuff in and out and so might not be that fussed. Of course they may enjoy haggling, and I suppose (being awkward) that there may be other damage or lack of care..

But if you highlight it, it could work in your favour as not hiding stuff. As above – price a bit higher, be prepared to drop down – even below £6k (a bit)..

matt_outandabout

Trade in just not worth it, we will sell privately. We sold old car last year for £2k, with dents and scratches all over, but £6k feels a lot for ‘not quite right’…

bensales
    Free Member

Just make sure it’s immaculately clean, inside and out, and well presented with all the docs etc. You’ll get offered what it’s worth, scratches and all.

I’ve just sold a Jag with stone chips all over the front and bonnet, chipped up rear arches, a poorly resprayed rear bumper and various other cosmetic niggles. Went for substantially more than you’re asking but the buyer was happy because it was clean, polished, straight, and they knew what they were getting.

hora
    Free Member

£500?!

Chipsaway if TCut doesnt work

matt_outandabout

It is a repaint of two doors and polish out some small scratches on roofline.

hora
    Free Member

Why a full repaint of the door(s). Get one out. Explain you want the min done and why. You want a tart up. Most dealers do this too.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hire a rug doctor for cleaning the interior.

neilnevill
    Free Member

What hora said

rocketman
    Free Member

Is it worth the £500 to fix the scratches?

Nah it usually raises the question why has this panel been repainted

hora
    Free Member

£6-£6.8k. Webuyanycar says £4.5, as is trade in offer…

Is 6-6.8k what you could get for it?

TBH most people moan about spending or losing £200. How much do you earn in a weeks work OP?

I’ve travelled from Manchester to Brideport to find the right car for me at the right price. Even on a 1k saving I’d class that as someones paid me 1k for one days work.

You are willing to throw £1,500 away (literally) because you want to take your car to WBAC who will then no doubt find one or two things extra that they can mark you down on and after their administration fee you’ll walk out (waiting) for a cheque from them for 4.2k.

So you are intentionally throwing money away as you wont pay for a £15 interior valet (they come to you) and chipsaway to visit (they also come to you- work or home).

Car owners can’t do with the hassle but if there was as its more convenient just to px it in. They are told their car isn’t worth much as those models aren’t selling well at the moment and the car they are looking to buy is already the best deal….

So they’ll throw a couple of grand away. I bet most people who do this probably earn a couple of grand after tax in a month. So they’d be happy to work for a whole month, slogging away then bin that wage…

Stevet1
    Free Member

Did you miss Trade in just not worth it, we will sell privately?

Gary_C

Sell it as it is, scratches ‘n all.

If a buyer whinges at the scratches just point out to them that a) It’s a secondhand car, & b) If they want a scratch free one go & buy a new one.

kcal

nice touch by hora about throwing cash away; given the revolving door of his bike collection 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

The GF’s old man spent nigh on 3k getting his 4 year old audi…. Reckons because of that he got a good price…
    bear in mind he traded it in for a new audi.
    His logic astounds me at times.

hora
    Free Member

Kcal 2ndhand bike frame purchases..

matt_outandabout

Just been out trying some ‘magic beans’ scratch remover and grey polish. I’m doing that for the whole car, and selling as is.

Anyone want a cheap Galaxy in Scotland. 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car with scratches on…’ is closed to new replies.