Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling a car online – ok to give out registration?
  • Phototim
    Free Member

Hi all,

May be a daft question but is it ok to give out a cars registration (i.e. in pics and if they ask for it?) when selling a car online?

I have a ford focus and a honda jazz for sale (if anyone is interested?!) and I have a foreign guy asking me a million questions about the Jazz.

Can anyone do anything dodgey if they know the car registration, car type, colour etc. e.g. clone it?

Cheers,

Tim

loddrik
    Free Member

I used to worry about this many years ago but there was really no reason to be. If someone wanted to clone a car they could go out in the street and get the reg off a passing identical car. A prospective buyer will want to do a hpi check anyway.

The only thing I wouldn’t do is give them the reg followed by your name and address. Reg on it’s own is fine.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I agree with Loddrik, (with respect) your cars are common cars and it wouldn’t be difficult for them to find another car to clone.

Just follow the basics, don’t give anything over until full payment and don’t believe the foreigners excuses when they want to start knocking money off!

steveh

Agree with Loddrik too, some people get really worried about it but I don’t see the point.

Phototim
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking, no point in worrying about it. Just wanted to check though.

MrGrim

As a buyer I would be worried about the seller trying to hide something if they didn’t give me the reg. I HPI check cars before I go for a viewing, so would always ask for the reg.

jimc101
    Free Member

When I was looking to buy a few months ago, no reg meant no interest, as getting an insurance quote (reg needed) which was viable, was a big factor to if I was interested or not

hora
    Free Member

If hes based overseas don’t bother.

I once bought a car with the seller in Germany however he worked for Airbus and was planning on living their permanently.

Phototim
    Free Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies. The guy is obviously foreign judging by his English but he says he is in Southampton so we’ll see how it goes! Just have to make sure he is insured to test drive/take it away!

Cheers,

Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car online – ok to give out registration?’ is closed to new replies.