Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling a Brompton that needs a lot of refurb work.
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve acquired a mistreated Brompton. It was a top end model about 10 years ago but it hasn’t been looked after and has spent some time outside. The owner had discarded it because he’d been told it was cracked and wasn’t repairable. I’ve cleaned it up and I can’t find any evidence of a crack (and it was absolutely caked in filth so I’m not sure how anyone else would have assessed it)>

I’m trying to work out how to sell it to get the most money for it as to get it running and looking good you’d need quite a bit of cash.

In good condition –
    Ti fork and rear triangle
    Ti seatpost
    Son Dynamo hub (but broken/missing spokes in wheel)

Pretty much everything else is tatty. The frame *appears* sound but it’s got rust where the cables have rubbed (and internally) so a respray to make it look really smart. Lots of the bolts are rusty. Rear wheel missing at least 3 spokes. Hub could be EOL. Cranks are OK but pedals are shot and chain had rusted solid. Rings/ sprockets will be worn. LED lights are probably OK but need recabling.

Sell complete or strip it?

wwaswas

Have a chat with ben at kinetics – he seems to have his finger on the Brompton pulse.

scruff9252

Sounds knackered and prob junk. Swap you a packet of haribo tanfastics for it 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m potentially interested – msg me if you have a price in mind.
    Cheers,

bencooper
    Free Member

I might be interested as a rebuild project.

Or, best option that’d get you decent money for minimal effort would be to eBay the forks, post and rear triangle. Whenever I have spare titanium bits, they go for pretty high prices.

Then sell me the scrappy old frame so I can play with it 😉

tthew

I had a poor condition Brompton a few years ago. Because I didn’t want anyone to over bid then feel ripped off I put it on e-bay for a fairly low buy it now price, and it was snapped up in minutes. Even had a couple of messages telling me to take it off as it was well underpriced.

Just put an honest description and pictures on e-bay, and let it find it’s own value. Reckon it may be more than you expect.

simon_g

eBay with a (reasonably) honest description, 99p start.

Used to have a housemate who put thousands of miles a year on his Brompton, found it much better to buy new then stick on eBay after a few years then order another than to bother with major maintenance.

poolman
    Free Member

My bromptons 6 yrs old and looking at nearly new prices on gummy it was marginal whether to buy a 1 yr old one or buy new parts for old one, you can easily spend 2-300 gbp on parts. Brompton new prices keep going up so i replaced the parts but there l come a time its not worth it.

duner
    Free Member

You definitely get good prices on the bits on there own, I sold a ti rear triangle, that had cracked for about £250! If you would enjoy doing it up it could be worth it, but if not you still get decent money just cleaning it up a little.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling a Brompton that needs a lot of refurb work.’ is closed to new replies.