• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Selling a broken car. Price help.
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

As per my other thread, my Peugeot Partner combi died the other night from a timing belt fail.

A mechanic chap from work has said he would like to buy it as is.

Its an 03 reg 1.6 16v petrol with just under 90k on the clock. 6 months MOT
    And a full tank of fuel!

He asked me how much I want for it. I haven’t a clue what its worth. Any ideas?

jambalaya
    Free Member

How much is car worth if it works (A). How much would job cost to repair belt / put in a recon engine (B) ? Value is roughly A-B less a bit more. Mechanic will fix car for less than you’ll pay “retail” but of course he wants to make a profit. Don’t forget when you sell the car you get back any full months remaining on the road tax.

Just get a quote for the repair / replacement engine, even if on the phone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it was me offering – it would be scrap value plus what ever the tank of fuel costs.
    on an 03 plate 1.6 petrol even in GWO your looking at about 800-1000 tops – and thats if you get lucky. I buy the diesel versions for about 1200 with ease on similar milages. and an engine from a u pull type place will be 150ish quid with no guarantee or about 4-500 with a guarantee

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdw
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. That’s helpful.
    After a bit of googling. An engine swap looks to be about 3 – 400 in labour. Sound about right?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I buy stuff like that all the time, but as someone said due to age and relativity low repaired value it’s not worth a great deal, e bay is your best bet I buy stuff off there every now and then but get out bid by crazy amount for cars I don’t see any profit left when repaired,
    To give you an idea, to fix your car, would cost me in parts 16 valves/gaskets/seals/service bits/belt/water pump £250/300 and the book labour time is 10ish hours.
    So that’s why its value is near scrap.
    But as I said e bay is the best bet. Are you anywhere near Manchester?

chrisdw
    Free Member

So repairing is going to be 6 to 700 really isn’t it. Gives me something to go on! Cheers.
    I’m in N Wales.

jimjam
    Free Member

I had a car that had a gearbox failure. I procrastinated for ages what to with it until it was eventually going to rot away. I did some limited breaking myself. Removed the power steering pump, alternator, starter motor, brake calipers etc, basically stuff that I could remove with a ratchet and lift out, as well a few interior trim parts.

I probably made £150-£200 for that lot then scrapped what was left.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

At a small garage with vat @£800 dealer over a grand last one I did at work was £1400, if you have time try e bay and I bet you it will fetch way more than someone local will offer you.

hora
    Free Member

Chris diesel knows his onions inside and out on this topic.

If it was me and the car (you’d know it better than most) was a good car overall I’d spend the circa £700 and get it sorted. You could buy another 3k car and low and behold it’s due a cambelt change soon, needs a service or was sold by the last owner as it had ongoing issues I.e a money pit. Providence is sometimes best. I erm change cars frequently and it can be a lottery if you buy a well valeted-shiny… Dog of a car.

With a rebuild, you’ll get your oil changed? Plus I think coolant? At the sametime.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Selling a broken car. Price help.’ is closed to new replies.