Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Selling a bike – test rides (advice wanted)
  • larrydavid
    Free Member

I’m selling a bike through local classified adds.

If/when someone wants to have a look test ride, what’s the recommended procedure?

Meet them at a non-house location like a petrol station?

And if they want a test ride, what form of security etc. should I ask for?

I know it’s common sense, but I’ve a tendency to not do so well with the old common sense…

shortcut

Not at home is usually good. Car park, pub works well.

Cash for sales value of car keys of a car you can touch and unlock, sit in would be what I would be after. Or maybe a paypal gift to be refunded following test ride if they don’t like it.

A wallet of cards is no good to anyone (you don’t know it is even theirs), same for phones etc.

amedias
    Free Member

or ask them to bring a friend/spouse and hold them hostage 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you’ve got another bike, take them for a ride, providing you’re fit enough not to get dropped by the scrote in the hoody… 😉

Easiest way is cash in hand first, then give it back if/when they return with the bike. Make that clear when they ask to come and look, will also probably get rid of timewasters with no cash. Also covers you if they damage it.

JoeG
    Free Member

Hold their driver’s license or similar but look at it to make sure that it is really theirs, first!

iolo
    Free Member

Tell them to make sure the bike is right (size,what they want, spec etc) before they come to get it.
    This saves a lot of timewasting. As long as the bike is as described take the cash and say farewell.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks!

Rosss
    Free Member

If i’m meeting someone away from the house I usually aim to get their a bit early so I can note their car/reg when they arrive. Let them check it over then count the cash while they have a spin.

Maybe i’m being niave but i’ve sold over 20 bikes in the last few years, most of which have been from home and i’ve yet to meet anyone other than a really nice guy from on here, Pinkbike and Gumtree.

rickt
    Free Member

If i was buying I would prefer to buy from a house address than a car park as i would prefer to know where someone lived incase it was nicked !!

kayak23

Yes, the advice is not to buy from someone in a pub carpark for obvious reasons. Pick a mates house.. 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If i was buying I would prefer to buy from a house address than a car park as i would prefer to know where someone lived incase it was nicked !!

Although if you used your home addy, they could say they didn’t want it, then come back later univited and take it..

If they are that way inclined.

rOcKeTdOg

take full value cash deposit and as they ride off, drive away with their cash 🙂 consider bike sold

_daveR
    Free Member

What rocketdog said, full value in cash in your hand or not test ride.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Selling a bike – test rides (advice wanted)’ is closed to new replies.