Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Selling a 26er – depreciation curve?
  • Kryton57

I plan to upgrade to a FS race/do it all 29er – probably an Anthem X or similar eventually but is it worth considering selling my ASR5 now? Do we think the value of 26ers are going to go up or down any more than on a standard age relate deprecation curve over the next few years?

matt_outandabout

I think any 26er is scrap these days. Does it have a non-tapered steerer?

Kryton57

No it’s tapered.

convert

Down down down – not because they are no good but because of fashion.

To be honest existing 26″bikes like my flux should be ridden until no longer fit for purpose or given a new life as wife’s bike etc. If sold don’t plan on making anything like as much as you would have expected for a similar spec 26″ two years ago.

bearnecessities

[predictable]It’s worth buttons. I’ll give you £200 for the frame. [/predictable]

(and seriously, no, it’ll be unaffected when visible to a large market – i.e eBay)

Kryton57

Hmmm. Seems I should thrash the pants of it, wait for it to break/I start missing podiums by the speed differential of a 29er (as likely as winning the lottery) then.

Oh well, the other thread I’m posting on just became more realistic 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

Panicking yourself out of 26 and into the latest “standard” is just what the marketing folk want – I bet they’re having a good chuckle/pat on the back if they read this forum. All the best whatever you decide 🙂

campfreddie
    Free Member

Well for what it’s worth, I’ve just built an über spec (ie not cheap) 26er Yeti SB-66 and having built a top spec 29er hard tail, i promptly sold it and replaced it with a 26er carbon cannondale scalpel.

26er is far from dead!
    (Admittedly, the plan with the Scalpel is to fit 650b wheels, but let’s not split hairs)

markshires
    Free Member

Are there any differences in the components of a 26er over a 29er? Are they a different size? Obviously the wheels,forks and frame are but in theory could you just swap everything else over?

Rosss
    Free Member

Out of interest how much were you expecting, we’ll regarded bikes always hold their value well

Kryton57

I wouldn’t buy it for fashion hence not in a rush. Just the rolling better over washboard surfaces / horses hoofs. I’m doing the 24/12 solo and think the 29er would be a marginally better pick.

But I’m not prepared to pay a premium over that issue now unless I was going to get appreciably more for the yeti by selling it now rather than later – so if ha answer is no, I’ll wait until it’s “replacement bike time” in a couple of years and ride the yeti until then.

Edit -Ross I don’t know – the bike is XT 2×10 with Thompson carbon bars and Thompson Alu stem/post, fox f120 fit, 2 pairs of wheels – SR Black Flags for messing around on and hopes on crest for events. I even have a spare swing arm – £1750 for bike or £1850 the lot?

ash.addy
    Free Member

Just buy a 29 frame forks and wheels and mothball the 26 frame until they’re back in fashion in 3 or 4 years time. I just pulled out of selling my 26 frame I was going to buy a 27.5 but had my doubts. Now I’m glad I didn’t go through with the sale and very happy with my 26.

avdave2

Just the rolling better over washboard surfaces / horses hoofs.

I’ve just put the summer 29″ wheel on my rigid bike and it does make a noticeable difference on my ride home from work over just such a surface. Same tyre and pressure as the 26″ it replaces. I only use the 26 in winter as it’s built on a dynamo hub. I guess the returns are diminished a little with suspension.

Rosss
    Free Member

Sounds like a very fair price, great spec and a desireable frame I’m sure you’d get around that for it. Personally I’d sell the spares separate and keep the base price low and attractive. I’ve just built a 120/140mm bike for my dad and rode it last night rather than my mojo and absolutely fell back in love with fun short travel bikes. I’d love this if I had the cash.

adsh
    Free Member

Scary similarities here. Prices seem very weak so much so I can’t face getting a Spearfish in place of my Flux esp as I can’t test one first. Looks like we’ll be the 2 26ers in 24:12. Are you 24 or 12?

Also once I go 29er once the rest will have to change…..

100thmonkey
    Free Member

Personally I rode 26 for 30 years, I have done some serious miles on both 29er and starting to get the milage in on 650b. Bottom line I think they are all as much fun as each other, Ill ride my 26ers till they die as they were always amazing and always will be.

Dont be sucked in, leg over, and ride

nammynake
    Free Member

Dusting off my old GCSE maths notes I calculate that the area of a 29 inch wheel is 660 sq.inches. That is suspiciously close to the sign of Lucifer. They are the work of the devil and should be avoided at all costs.

Kryton57

Adsh I’m 24 – my first. I as looking at the Spearfish too, also by coincidence am a turner fan and want my life long dream of owning a turner to be what I suspect is my last expensive bike purchase. I’m using this year for racing road and Xc, so I to see whether I should consider a light racy 29er first, or a new Flux 640b/Sultan as my end-of-days do everything bike. If I don’t stick with racing it’d be the latter.

But the yeti needs to see kj02 past her nursery fees…

retrobri
    Free Member

I was going to sacrifice my 26″ soul for the new 27.5 version. That’s what happens when I pick up a bike mag these days and think too much about it.

I ride for the smiles, not the fashion. My 26″ soul is going nowhere!!!

renton
    Free Member

Ive been trying to sell my 5 spot for a while now and people are always giving me the line “its old now with 26 inch wheels and non tapered forks so I can offer 600 quid less than your asking price and Im doing you a favour “

Im just going to run it until it breaks!

Kryton57

I’ve just spent an hour looking at a Turner Czar… 😯 8) :mrgreen:

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve only posted a couple of the times in the classifieds and not on eBay but I’m yet to sell my ASR5c. Granted I’ve tried to sell a rolling chassis which is a little more complicated / less desirable. I might sell the full bike.

I think people are less interested in spending what could be perceived as large sums of money on second hand 26″ bike, desirable or not, when it’s uncertain which way the industry is going. Or worse. Shifting towards 27.5 and 29.

My reason for selling a 26″ bike….I prefer 29″ wheels and my 29er steel HT is more than enough bike while I ponder buying a 29er FS. Not ridden 27.5 and not really interested.

gaz552
    Free Member

Good 26er frames with tapered head tubes seem to hold their value/command decent money second hand.

I guess it depends what you’re after though, if you have a load of 26er related parts then you’ll be after 26er frames.

rone

Kryton, if you’re ever in Nottinghamshire/south Yorkshire give us a buzz we have a large czar and medium czar between us if you want a go. Also a large and medium spearfish.

Both fantastic bikes, and great to compare. The czar has been my bike of the decade so far, pedals amazingly , comfortable and fast. The fish is much more old school, slower turning but a bit more planted. Not as quick to accelerate though. SF is quite light, and a great buy if you can get the half price 2013 models.

localhero94
    Free Member

As you know, I’m in a similar position to you Kryton. If I go for a short travel full-sus 29er then really either the soda or the asr-5 should go, but I can’t bring myself to sell either really – partly due to sentimental attachments and partly because I know I won’t get anywhere near the value I could have got last year. I have a test ride on a Whyte M109-S next weekend and I’m hoping I’ll hate it.

deanfbm
    Free Member

We do all know bikes are toys rather than a long term investments, right?

robdob
    Free Member

To be honest existing 26″bikes like my flux should be ridden until no longer fit for purpose

So basically forever, yes?

convert

So basically forever, yes?

For the foreseeable future certainly.

But frames break if ridden hard enough. Do you ride hard enough?

Kryton57

deanfbm – Member
    We do all know bikes are toys rather than a long term investments right?

Not if your wife saved up for a year to buy a frame for your significant birthday…. Although that’s not the case with the ASR5 – but the other bike (ti 26″ ht)

Kryton57

Rone – thanks for the offer. As it happens I travel to Nottigham for work once a month so I might contact you and set that up if thats ok, much appreciated.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Selling a 26er – depreciation curve?’ is closed to new replies.