Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sellafield gone pop?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Radiation alert – non essential workers told to stay away apparently 😯

Kryton57

Well there goes the recovery, and up soars the price of leccy to plunge as back into recession.

Hope workers at Sellafield are ok.

bencooper
    Free Member

My grandfather-in-law was there when the Windscale fire happened – the stories he told were scary. Hopefully it’s not serious.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

Sounds like a dicky monitor.

cranberry
    Free Member

I just watched the BBC news lie to the nation.

Sellafield announces that one monitor has registered a radiation level higher than background levels, but not at risk to health level. The breakfast announcer then turns to the camera and announces that there is a *high* level of radiation on site.

Anything for a nice headline to fill that empty 24 hours of news that stands before now and tomorrow. 🙁

maccruiskeen

Sounds like a dicky monitor.

Before sellefield had a visitor centre school trips used to be able to go on guided tours round the power station ‘proper’. On your way out you had to go through a radiation monitor. On our trip every third of fourth kid that went through the monitor set it off. “Don’t worry, it does that all the time” our guide assured us. We couldn’t really work out in what way that was reassuring. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Before sellefield had a visitor centre school trips used to be able to go on guided tours round the power station ‘proper’. On your way out you had to go through a radiation monitor.

I did that when I was a student – stood on top of the reactor and everything!

Northwind

cranberry – Member

The breakfast announcer then turns to the camera and announces that there is a *high* level of radiation on site.

All relative though isn’t it? As far as joe public’s concerned anything above normal is too high.

jag61

Similar monitor result at Trawsfynnyd on a school trip in 1978 ish. never did us any harm 😕 The girl that set it off did not get off so lightly, never heard the last of it.

martinhutch

The problem is the bald assertion that radiation levels ARE high, as opposed to equipment showing a high reading, which may or may not be genuine.

bencooper
    Free Member

I did that when I was a student – stood on top of the reactor and everything!

We went on a school trip to Hunterston – same thing, got to stand on top of the reactor. The guide explained that we were right on top of the reactor core – cue a dozen schoolkids all jumping up and down to see if they could break it 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

As far as joe public’s concerned anything above normal is too high.

No, it is a higher than normal reading from one out of 20 monitors.

This /= high

Northwind

OK , by all means turn that into a bbc conspiracy 😆

hora
    Free Member

Zombies are spilling out 😯

cranberry
    Free Member

No conspiracy, just shite reporting and making up things to generate a shock headline.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On our trip every third of fourth kid that went through the monitor set it off.

wearing watches by any chance? Older luminous watches used to be phosphorous and a radioactive isotope to provide the electrons to make it glow.

hora
    Free Member

This is why I watch Aljazeera and not the Beeb.

The Beeb beleives in good and evil reporting not ALL reporting.

The Islamic Brigades beheaded and murdered scores of civillians after it took back a town in Syria recently….The Beeb can’t report that as it’ll confuse English viewers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just asked my mates who work there, will know soon! Though knowing a fair bit I reckon overblown reporting is more of as issue

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and honestly having read the news no real issue going on just sorting stuff out

senorj

I know the folk who calibrate the monitors there…. they probably fancied the friday off…… 😉 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know the folk who calibrate the monitors there…. they probably fancied the friday off……
    this +1

also having played locals in an evac exercise there is nothing that bad going on either 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Argh they are here- at the windows and doors, they have broken in through the kitchen. I’ve got a cricket bat, I don’t know how long I can last. Not even time for one last cheeky ****. Goodbye folks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@hora are you not in the pretend north back down near the manc midlands?

honeybadgerx

hora – Member
    Goodbye folks

Ah, STW is safe at last.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@hora are you not in the pretend north back down near the manc midlands?

It’s worse than we thoughs, it’s speedy WWZ zombies, not Night of the Living Dead shuffling corpses.

CountZero

On our trip every third of fourth kid that went through the monitor set it off.

Probably carrying bananas…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, laugh all you want. One day it won’t be funny.

bails

I like this:
    http://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

What if I took a swim in a typical spent nuclear fuel pool? Would I need to dive to actually experience a fatal amount of radiation? How long could I stay safely at the surface?

you could swim around as long as you wanted—the dose from the core would be less than the normal background dose you get walking around. In fact, as long as you were underwater, you would be shielded from most of that normal background dose. You may actually receive a lower dose of radiation treading water in a spent fuel pool than walking around on the street.

Good closing statement too

But just to be sure, I got in touch with a friend of mine who works at a research reactor, and asked him what he thought would happen to you if you tried to swim in their radiation containment pool.

“In our reactor?” He thought about it for a moment. “You’d die pretty quickly, before reaching the water, from gunshot wounds.”

tpbiker
    Free Member

About 10 years ago I had a geiger counter at work as I worked for a large engineering company. It would go mental if you put it near concrete, bathroom tiles, tv screens and lo salt, but never even flickered when near anything that had been in or near a nuclear reactor.

slowoldman

Zombies are spilling out

Isn’t that just rush hour in Egremont?

scotroutes

All due to “naturally occurring radiation”

allthegear
    Free Member

Isn’t that just rush hour in Egremont?

Ha ha – you may joke – I remember coming back from around Sellafield once and going over the high road towards Ulverston. Following what I presume was a shift worker, I was struggling to keep up even in the Impreza I had at the time. She *really* knew that road!

Rachel

piemonster

hora – Member
    This is why I watch Aljazeera and not the Beeb.

The Beeb beleives in good and evil reporting not ALL reporting.

The Islamic Brigades beheaded and murdered scores of civillians after it took back a town in Syria recently….The Beeb can’t report that as it’ll confuse English viewers.

What, like this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24486627

CountZero

ninfan – Member
    Radiation alert – non essential workers told to stay away apparently

Kryton57 – Member
    Well there goes the recovery, and up soars the price of leccy to plunge as back into recession.

Hope workers at Sellafield are ok.

Just be thankful you don’t live in Cornwall…

maxtorque

Until the exact level of radiaton is determined, acturately, by secondary instruments, sending people home is just a sensible precaution. For example, in a coal fired powerstation, if the main boiler pressure alarm went off, you’d expect an evacuation, regardless of if the main boiler was about to explode or not!

it’s generally worth posting this at times like this:

iffoverload
    Free Member

sensationalist title caught my eye, don’t really know much about it apart from the fact the site had bad press when it was known as Windscale.

so off to wikkipedia as you do..

“Between 1950 and 2000 there were 21 serious incidents or accidents involving some off-site radiological releases that warranted a rating on the International Nuclear Event Scale, one at level 5, five at level 4 and fifteen at level 3. Additionally during the 1950s and 1960s there were protracted periods of known, deliberate, discharges to the atmosphere of plutonium and irradiated uranium oxide particulates.[49] These frequent incidents, together with the large 2005 Thorp plant leak which was not detected for nine months, have led some to doubt the effectiveness of the managerial processes and safety culture on the site over the years.”

so nowt to worry about here then 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sellafield gone pop?’ is closed to new replies.