• This topic has 88 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Sell your bike parts for cost of postage and a pint :)
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

In response to a thread yesterday about where bike tat has gone i have created a facebook group where low value items can be traded for the cost of postage and a pint
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/590535824356503/

Use it or not – it’s an open group

rob-jackson
    Free Member

People joining, no-one posting 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve got a few bits & bobs but not on FB…can’t we do something on here?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Course we can – trouble is that unless a thread is pinned then it’s always disappearing 🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

onandon
    Free Member

I have LOADS of stuff but not on face book and no interest in starting.
    If you, we can arrange something on here then happy days.

Dyffers
    Free Member

I have loads of low-to-zero-value-to-me tat, but I also avoid FaceAche.

I do have a ‘For Sale’ Photobucket folder though.

Maybe people could post links to self-hosted photo sites with a brief description if necessary against each picture?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have asked the mods to pin this thread but have been ignored!!

bigG
    Free Member

When I have a tidy out I generally offer stuff to folk in the the bike club first, then hand what’s left into my local recykabike. A lot less hassle than having folk haggle over the price of a pint.

How long before you start to get “how about a half of carling mate, your beardy ale seems a bit pricey”?

plyphon
    Free Member

I also have bit’s I could sell for postage + pint, great idea.

richen987
    Free Member

why not just standardise the price of a pint or have max pint pricing.
    e.g pint = £3 so all items are £3 + p&p
    myhermes or collectplus are approx £5 for postage signed and you will not have to buy extra cover as nothing is worth more than £3.
    So £8 or less Bits and Bobs thread.

I think it’s a good idea, have loads of bits that are worthless that would be happy to give away for postage, but can’t be that bothered to post up and clog f.s threads with, people asking for photos etc

rob-jackson
    Free Member

As i thought of this idea my SPP (suggested pint price) is £3.00

pictonroad

£3 for a pint!

etc etc

Rosss
    Free Member

I think we should just use the forum and rather than putting FS or WTD put something like ‘postage and pint clearout’. Then everything is £3 plus either £3 or £5 for postage dependant on price. I think this would be a lot easier than FB.
    If I get chance I’ll have a rummage later and try aThread!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

shove it all on this one

mikey74
    Free Member

£3 for a pint? You are all northern, aren’t you?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Stella in my local has just hit the £4 mark and I haven’t dared buy a pint of Peroni in there in a couple of years. I work in the bike trade so I am lucky if I can afford anything other than water.

I think Rosss has a good idea there. Just put an agreed note in the thread title in classifieds so folk know what they are looking at.

edlong
    Free Member

Can’t think why they wouldn’t want to go out of their way to promote people taking their cycling related online activity to a different site….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Will have a rummage in my drawers.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    Can’t think why they wouldn’t want to go out of their way to promote people taking their cycling related online activity to a different site.

The whole thread so that it appears at the top of the classifieds – not just the FB link

vincienup
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    £3 for a pint? You are all northern, aren’t you?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Unashamedly so.

My pint of ‘beardy ale’ round at my local starts at about £2.20 …
    There are pubs (Sam Smiths) where you can still expect change from a fiver for a round of three.
    Maybe your £4 a pint pub just saw you coming? 😉

Cougar

No you haven’t. The first notification I’ve seen is time stamped seven minutes ago, and you’d have had a response sooner than seven minutes if you’d thought to include the link to the thread rather than making me search for it.

I’m not sure if there’s policy on this, I’ll see what the others think. Grumpytrousers.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I did when i used the “report post” last night after nwills1’s response 19hrs ago (equally grumpy)

jekkyl

Anyone want a load of worn chain rings, worn cassettes & chains in return for beer? You’re on.

TooTall
    Free Member

Why not do like AgencyScum did in Bristol and start your own bike jumble? A few people is all it needs to start, find somewhere to do it, 1hr a month. Word of mouth would soon see more people turn up. A regular local bike jumble is a thing of beauty and no postage involved at all!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

TooTall – cracking idea 🙂

Cougar

I did when i used the “report post” last night after nwills1’s response 19hrs ago (equally grumpy)

Mia culpa, you’re right. My sincere apologies. (I wasn’t ignoring you though, I simply missed it).

TooTall
    Free Member

The very best bit about the regular bike jumble is ‘actually talking to people about bikes’. Then you find out what else they have in their shed, where they ride, what they are looking for that you might have in your shed to finish their build etc.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This thread inspired me to have a look in my desk drawer to see what bits and bobs I had. Not a bad haul really but none of it worth a pint!

Cougar

Ok.

We’ve had a chat and a number of concerns have been raised, not least being how much of an arseache it would be to moderate it, so at this juncture we won’t be stickying it. This decision may be overturned if the STW staff disagree, but for the moment that’s how it is I’m afraid.

What I’d suggest is to start the thread in the Classifieds and see how it goes. Personally I’m not entirely sure what it gains us, I don’t see how one multi-page thread is any better than multiple single sales threads. Maybe that’s just me being thick, but anyway. If it works and it gets a lot of traffic, it should stay on or near the front page without needing gluing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Threads in classifieds don’t move to the top when they are replied to though do they?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

It won’t stick though because classifieds threads don’t bump 🙁

jekkyl

Come on someone must want 2 worn 32t chainrings, all I ask is 2 660ml bottles of Peroni Nastro Azzuro

wwaswas

MisterP – are they single ring bolts? Email in profile if they are

Cougar

It won’t stick though because classifieds threads don’t bump

Do they not? Shows what I know.

wwaswas

Maybe just a new start to Postage and a Pint for sale threads so people know?

So

PP: = Postage and a Pint
    FS: = Fpr Sale

Obvious which are which and we don;t just end up with one jumbo thread no one knows what’s gone and what hasn’t on?

Cougar

You know, I’m still not clear on what the difference is. You basically want a separate category for low cost items?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Its the stuff that is not worth selling, just getting rid of as a favour (hence a pint in return)
    Like the cheap seatpost i got rid of – worth £10 max, let it go for postage and a pint as a good will thing.

Its a way of seeing low cost stuff easily

Cougar

Sorry, I’m no doubt being thick, but I don’t see how “postage and a pint” is any easier than “£5 posted.” It seems exactly the same to me, only longer to type. What am I missing?

jekkyl

It’s altruistic, you ‘sell’ stuff for less than it’s worth & highlighted as such.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Sell your bike parts for cost of postage and a pint :)’ is closed to new replies.