Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sell me a road bike (opinions please)
  • Olly
    Free Member

was thinking of converting XtC and putting slicks on it for commuting and general "clean" (road) riding.

now coming around to the idea of retiring the XtC, selling off the parts, and buying a proper road bike.

i do have a thing for Giants, so am currently looking at the Giant Defy 3.

Light Alu frame, carbon fork, reasonable components (a lot for the money) and upgradeable.
    probably go with some single sided roadie SPD pedals and use my MTb shoes 🙂

500 squids(ish)

is it worth considering a TCX (cross bike) for: me being a bit heavy handed as am a MTBer not a roadie, better clearence for potential mudguards, possible farm track shortcuts on the commute home?

also looked at boardmans, but dont seem to be much better for the money, and not nearly as pretty as the Defy.

any thoughts?

geoffj

If you are going to commute then I'd recommend something that will take proper mud guards, and possibly a rack/pannier depending on how much you have to carry.

Or if you are just going to use it when its sunny and carry a rucksac / courier bag then away you go with the road bike.

A cross bike does offer a few more options, but its not as fast on the road.

The Giants are nice though.

traildog
    Free Member

I commuted for ages on a slicked up hard tail. But it's no where near as fast as a proper road bike. You are in a much better position on a road bike, so it's easier and faster.

Unless you do actually want to go off onto grassy fields, then I'd get a road bike. A road bike will probably be stronger than you think. Having said that, I love having the option of going anywhere when I'm on a cross bike.

Olly
    Free Member

i like to think i would man up and crack out the panniers when its orrible, but in all honesty, i used to do 15 miles each way when i was younger, pre car, and it was horrible.

sadly, ive got a car now, and can see that being a much easier option.

rucksack more likely.

takisawa2

Heavy mtb'er here on a (seemingly) spindly old steel road bike. Love it to bits. Full guards are a must, IMO you cop more water from spray than rain. Probably get a good soaking 3-4 times over my March-Nov commute season. (Use bike & trailer to drop kids at school & mrs bans me due to cold over winter).
    Alloy frame sounds harsh but never tried one. Single sided spuds on mine, work well. Hi-Vis kit a must also.
    Edit: And a rack. Carting stuff in a rucksack is bloody awful in hot weather.

epicyclo

You need a cross type bike. You'll not be happy if you can't point it offroad from time to time.

Olly
    Free Member

but ive got MTBs for that…? (keeping my trance and my 456SS)

rootes1

giant do a flat bar verion of the defy called a rapid an also do some low profile guards to fit.

i just got this:

Pearson Touche

singlespeed (not fixed), but room for rack and guards in alu with carbon fork, they also do a steel version called a hanzo

sockpuppet

giant do a flat bar verion of the defy called a rapid

which as far as i can see confers no benefit at all

cynic-al
    Free Member

is it worth considering a TCX (cross bike) for: me being a bit heavy handed as am a MTBer not a roadie, better clearence for potential mudguards, possible farm track shortcuts on the commute home?

Wouldn't worry about heavy handedness, skilz will come in time. Mudguards and a rack (not all cross bikes take them) are major benefit in wet weather.

You need a cross type bike. You'll not be happy if you can't point it offroad from time to time.

Is this a general comment or do you have knowledge of the OP? I don't have a cross bike, I tried one and never rode it. My point being "horses for courses".

rootes1

giant do a flat bar verion of the defy called a rapid

which as far as i can see confers no benefit at all

depends if you like drops or not.

Blackhound

Olly,

The defy is a nice bike, rode one last year in Scotland for a day. If you are going to commute I would certainly recommend some mudguards and ideally a rack as others have said. {See you Friday!)

RustySpanner

Recently bought my first road bike for 20 years. Picked up one of these second hand, with upgraded wheels & 105 8 speed groupset for £120.00:

It's great, fast and fun. Obviously well used (it a 1996 model), but has got me back into road biking for not much cash.

Much faster and loads more fun on the road than my slick-tyred and rigid-forked older hardtail, which now has a rack on and is used as an on/off road tourer.

Had to look around for ages though before I found it – people really seem to hang on to nice old road bikes.
    Could save you a load of cash though!

Olly
    Free Member

looked at the rapid, but i think its longer, to accomodate the flat bars?
    looking for drops really.

friday indeed Kev, cannae wait 🙂

t' trek is rather pretty RS.
    hum, options options.

"spares box" needs to go to the bristol bike jumble first though!
    cant go this weekend as off with Kev et al.
    so thats march!…

the defy has pannier mounts, it should take racks, just be a bit of a squeeze?

RustySpanner

Can you borrow one from a friend for a few days, just to make sure you get on with it?

That's a hell of a lot of money to spend if you're not convinced.

midlifecrashes

I have the SCR2, previous generation to the Defy, but similar sizing and ride style. Mine is kitted out for commuting and generally going out for the day with 26mm tyres, crosstop brake levers which are nice in traffic, guards and a rack. 27sp Tiagra too. The Defy is a bit harder to fit standard mudguards to, but Giant make their own and quite a few places stock them. Standard rack should go on fine. Used to use 520 SPDs and mtb shoes on mine, have recently switched to A530s which don't weigh any more, but have a flat side, so I use the bike more for short trips where I wouldn't bother if I was changing shoes etc. It'll be a very good bike for that money.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Sounds like a CX bike would fit the bill. I made a similar decision and decided I would like the ability to go for a jolly jape around the woods mid-road ride. Added bonus of not being a proper jey-core roadie as well.

In fact,
    [shameless ebay plug]
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Voodoo-Limba-cyclocross-bike-NEW_W0QQitemZ230431148682QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item35a6c44a8a
    [/shameless ebay plug]

rootes1

well go for the Defy, can't beat Giant value, though see if you can get a 2009 model/version..

2010 cost more and have lower grade specs…

as for road use spd (not SPD-SL / Look) I used A520 as they provide more support for your shoe

Philby

Suggest trying a few different brands before you buy as they all seem to have slightly different geometries and fit is all important with road bikes i.e. you may find some too stretched out and others too upright. The Giant can take proper mudguards which will be an advantage for commuting over bikes that can only take SKS Raceblades or Crud Roadracers.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I chose a CX bike over a road bike but I do have the advantage of commuting across the Quantocks and it would be just plain rude not to ride offroad whenever I could 😀

karmamac
    Free Member

buy my dolan city cross .
    use it on road or off. it has campag xenon 10speed
    only 6 months use. mostly summer.
    £500 will send pics if ya like.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sell me a road bike (opinions please)’ is closed to new replies.