Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sell Complete bike or split – advice pls
  • variflex
    Free Member

Tricky one this….do I sell my 18 month of Whyte 829 as a complete bike or split and sell off the components?

Frame in good nic a couple of small chips and some rubbing on one chainstay (non drive side) from shoes. Everything else very good with only small marks on cranks (no significant rubbing).

Frame 6061 Hydro Formed T6 Aluminium, Tapered Headtube and Adjustable Modular Dropouts

Fox 32 F29 RL Evolution Series, 100mm Travel, Rebound and Lock-out
    Wheelset Whyte XC-202
    Shimano SL-M666 SLX Brakes
    Cranks, mech’s , shifters and cassette all 2012 XT
    Whyte Seatpost, stem and bars

was £1899 originally, was thinking around the £800 mark complete but is it worth that or could I get more for he components?

dan86
    Free Member

Usually get more selling parts separately, just a bit more time and effort needed 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

From experience, things like the SLX brakes and XT drive train components will sell very easily.

Stuff like the Whyte branded controls won’t sell as easily or for a great price.

Your forks will probably sell well, and the frame will largely depend on whether or not someone is looking for a Whyte. Not as large a group of 2nd hand buyers compared to other brands, but the frames don’t come up as often either, so if someone is looking then you may well get what you want for it.

If you can sell as a whole bike for a price you’re happy with then it’s generally far more preferable. Taking pictures, sorting out ads, replying to queries, multiple payments, packaging individually, trips to the post office etc for a whole bike split is a pain!

Northwind

It depends on the build really. I normally split, but if you’ve got a really sensible, uncontroversial build then selling complete can work well too (mostly my bikes are not really sensible builds). THe more expensive it is, the more sense it makes to split.

Put it another way, 3 times now I’ve bought complete bikes, split them up and sold them for a decent sized profit (even taking into account time and postage etc).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Problem really is that the drive train and brakes are discounted to nothing across the web so can be got new for silly money. Unless the other stuff is nice/special it will probably result in you have a bunch of stuff left over if you split it.

What are you selling to achieve? Build the running gear onto a new frame?

tonyd

I’m splitting a bike at the moment as some parts went on the new build. I’m most likely asking too much, but having watched the classifieds for the last week or two there doesn’t seem to be too much moving.

As Mike says, there’s a lot of discounted stuff out there right now. With people moving to 10/11 speed, 650b/29er, etc there seems to be less call for the older tech. Good time to pick up some bargains!

If I were you I’d advertise here as a complete bike for a while and if it doesn’t shift put it on eBay and take the hit on fees. I sold a bike box recently, no takers on here so it went on the bay. Sold for over £100 more than it was advertised on here for and only about £15 less than a brand new one!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sell Complete bike or split – advice pls’ is closed to new replies.