Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Self promoting a company and your views?
  • anothername
    Free Member

Just like you views/ideas on self promoting a bike shop (retail/service company), things you like to see, put on the website/social media,
    thing you don’t like see or think are rubbish/wrong
    (I am a regular on the forum but under a new name for this for a few reasons)

Do you take any notice of reviews?
    Can there be to many reviews?

If you brought a new bike, how would you feel if been asked to have a photo taken with bike in front of the shop to put on facebook/website?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The first year of the Big Bike Bash I self promoted it relentlessly across many forums, bike events and to anyone who couldn’t ride quick enough to escape me.

I think it drove most people on here nuts but also took the BBB from “an idea after a few beers” to a successful event that raises money every year for charity.

If it is your business you might need to be a bit more selective. Look at a few other businesses you know about and see how they handled praise, criticism and questions. Possible candidates for review : Wiggle, On One and Super Star Components

iainc

If you brought a new bike, how would you feel if been asked to have a photo taken with bike in front of the shop to put on facebook/website?

I was asked this just the other week when picking up new bike. They took my picture, but thankfully I’m not photogenic enough to make it to their FB page 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anothername
    Free Member

Thanks WCA,
    I do have some reviews on the website and people can leave review/ratings on facebook etc. but I seen a new (year old) local bike shop with a whole page of “our fans” good reviews, they even put a I “heart” XXXX on there facebook page, just seem a bit up there own ass.
    I have been going for 5 years, more of a case how much “we are great & read all these reviews saying how great we are” or just a little bit of it

But then I have a “invested interested” and might be a bit biased towards them, so trying to step back and get another point of view.

Iainc, how did you feel when they asked? happy or that’s a bit cheeky? Did ask for you name or explain what they do with the pic?

Don’t get me wrong I put pics up of new bikes/kit/upgrade even old classic stuff, but never with a customer, more so with thieves/low-lives using the net more & more.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Do you take any notice of reviews?

I maybe take a quick check on reviews, though I do get suspicious if there are too many goods and not enough average/bad.

Can’t see anything too wrong with a piccy entitled “And here’s another satisfied customer”. Once you start putting names to nice new (expensive) shiny bikes then you could be asking for trouble.

Personally, I think its a fine line between getting a bit of promotions out there, and bombarding everyone constantly. If you’re selling some event like BBB then I can see some sense in the big push, just hammering out “X bike for £xxx this week” constanly would get on my goat.

LoCo
    Free Member

We do it a bit mixed in with a load of other stuff that interests us and other good stuff people are doing.
    A constant feed of ‘we’re awesome’ ‘look how great we are’ is a bit wearing, if the company is that good you shouldn’t need to do that.

sv

We do it a bit mixed in with a load of other stuff that interests us and other good stuff people are doing.
    A constant feed of ‘we’re awesome’ ‘look how great we are’ is a bit wearing, if the company is that good you shouldn’t need to do that.

Simon is right you shouldn’t need to do it (but a bit doesn’t hurt), Loco Tuning is awesome 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not in a million years. Bike’s built up without the customers, yeah fine. I quite like some ‘what we’re working on’ or ‘from or workshop’ images. But customer pics cross a line for me.

Generally i find the whole ‘our fans’ type stuff a bit too sycophantic for my tastes, it’s a form of marketing that i always associate with American companies and I find it all a bit cringeworthy. But then a generation that has been brought up on the internet and it’s bias towards American marketing techniques more than likely lap it up so I’m willing to accept that my views may be well out of kilter with a good selection of the buying public. I know my nieces (both mid twenties) would think it was great.

LoCo
    Free Member

Simon is right you shouldn’t need to do it (but a bit doesn’t hurt), Loco Tuning is awesome

Sorry, yes, Wooo! Go us ! 😳 😉

iainc

Iainc, how did you feel when they asked? happy or that’s a bit cheeky? Did ask for you name or explain what they do with the pic?

probably bit cheeky, but they had done me a great deal, so wasn’t fussed. They often post pics on FB of folk picking up new bikes, presumably consenting, and don’t tag/name them, so I guess its ok

anothername
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Pretty much what I am thinking, mixing up what to put on facebook/twitter. but a bit of “upgrade” pics and unusual stuff.
    Also think to much “we great” can make people smell a rat. (they even had “workshop is normally very busy ring for bookings” before they where open!)

Beatheasy & MW, sad to say they where putting customers names (not tags) up with the photos even a car number plates was seen in pic!!!
    Ironical their was a piece in the local paper about high rate of stolen bikes and local bobby/paper asked the shop to about bike security! I had to do a email to the paper/local bobby, about the dangers of naming people with new bikes. think they told the shop has the pics stopped having names with them!

Again thanks for your views and feedback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Self promoting a company and your views?’ is closed to new replies.