Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Self immolation for dummies
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Is the thought on scottish labours performance tonight! 😆 There’s not even been a result called yet!

First result due soon, my constituency, Rutherglen, rumours, 54.5% turnout (up on 2011, was about 47%) and saying SNP took 55% of the vote.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wow 55% is meant to be an improvement 🙁 for all those whinging about pr sorting out turnout would be a better start.
    In simple maths terms 70% of the electorate didn’t vote snp?

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Quite a bit better than the current government, then. (in fact no UK government’s had over 30% of registered voters this century, what a bummer)

Oh, btw we already use AMS up here, a form of PR.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

You’ll be the glass half empty type then aye? 😆

turnout is irrelevant, if people don’t vote they just allow other peoples vote to mean more, ho hum their loss, they lose their say.

seosamh77
    Free Member

actual result:

turnout: 54.5%
    lib dem 2533
    snp 15222
    labour 11479
    tory 3718
    spoiled 135

labours majority last time was 1800.

9% swing. slab to snp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You’ll be the glass half empty type then aye?
    turnout is irrelevant,

Just a realist. Turnout tells you that you have massive voter disenfranchisement which has is a problem. With people complaining about not getting the government they want/deserve/vote for but the biggest party at any election being “didn’t bother to vote” should tell you something other than suggesting people should set themselves on fire which is a truly horrific death and in very poor taste (another asylum seekers has just done that in Australian detention)

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    You’ll be the glass half empty type then aye?
    turnout is irrelevant,

Just a realist. Turnout tells you that you have massive voter disenfranchisement which has is a problem. With people complaining about not getting the government they want/deserve/vote for but the biggest party at any election being “didn’t bother to vote” should tell you something other than suggesting people should set themselves on fire which is a truly horrific death and in very poor taste (another asylum seekers has just done that in Australian detention)tough titty, put yourself up as a none of the above candidate then.

btw, I’m one of the 135 spoiled votes. So you’re talking to the disenfrachised, with regards to the main parties. Not turning up is a poor excuse.

I was able to cast a vote in the list though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

hamilton and larkhall just declared, snp hold, interesting thing is the direct 10% swing in the vote from labour to tory! 😯 SNP vote held steady.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tories take eastwood

Got themselves a constituency seat back, unsurprising that it’s eastwood.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Few results coming in now, look like an utter labour collapse, down around 5-17% in every seat I’ve seen so far! 😯

right i’m off to my kip now! Was always a forgone conclusion, but I just wanted to see the start of it!

bencooper
    Free Member

btw, I’m one of the 135 spoiled votes. So you’re talking to the disenfrachised, with regards to the main parties. Not turning up is a poor excuse.

Interesting thing about the Scottish electoral system – if you spoil your first ballot and then vote for one of the smaller parties on the second ballot, you make it less likely your chosen party gets a MSP.

So the people who spoiled their first vote and voted Green on the second made it worse for the Greens.

(The reason is that the list seats are decided by dividing votes by the number of constituency seats – if the SNP get fewer constituency seats, the divisor is smaller, so more list seats, taking them away from the other parties)

Spin
    Free Member

tough titty, put yourself up as a none of the above candidate then.

That’s a crap argument but one that is regularly put forward in these situations. Being critical of something does not put you under obligation to try to change it.

Besides, fine fellow though mikewsmith undoubtedly is I doubt if he’s the man to unite the disenfranchised.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    tough titty, put yourself up as a none of the above candidate then.
    That’s a crap argument but one that is regularly put forward in these situations. Being critical of something does not put you under obligation to try to change it.

If there was 10,000 spoiled votes in every constituency, they’d need to sit up and take notice though, not voting is easy to ignore.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Interesting thing about the Scottish electoral system – if you spoil your first ballot and then vote for one of the smaller parties on the second ballot, you make it less likely your chosen party gets a MSP.

So the people who spoiled their first vote and voted Green on the second made it worse for the Greens.

(The reason is that the list seats are decided by dividing votes by the number of constituency seats – if the SNP get fewer constituency seats, the divisor is smaller, so more list seats, taking them away from the other parties)

I’ve been having conversations tonight about the complexity of the list system, something I’m going to have to look into alot more, I honesty didn’t understand how complex the calculation is. I’d a quick google into the AMS system and the d’hondt system in particular. Gonny take a bit of head scratching.

Trimix
    Free Member

Spin is correct.

When the choice is all crap there is no point choosing. When the system is so designed to keep it that way, suggesting we join the system to try to change it is really not realistic.

Its a bit like me joining the Ramblers and expecting this to cause them to allow us to ride on footpaths 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

RON

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Self immolation for dummies’ is closed to new replies.